Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Greg

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by Acoustica Greg »

WhiRz wrote:Does Mixcraft have automatic delay compensation (when addings plugins) ?!

If not, it could be cool to introduce a kind of Pro Tool's delay compensation and "nudge" feature.
From my point of view it's a "must have" to create tracks are tight rythmically and so sounds better.
Mixcraft 7 has delay compensation on standard tracks, but not on Submix, Output Bus and Send tracks. This should be remedied in Mixcraft 8. Some effects have much more latency than others, so with Mixcraft 7, just be aware of that and try to avoid using those high-latency effects on Submix, Output Bus and Send tracks.

Note: child tracks within submixes do have delay compensation, just not the top submix track.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Carlos58

Post by Carlos58 »

Juno wrote:Setting and adjusting the project tempo as an automation parameter for the master track.
*Nods in complete agreement*
It's do-able in Reason, I'm trying to get away from it (Reason) completely due to the makers insistence on no VST's but being able to automate the tempo as in the current piece I'm working on which goes 120 to 108 to 98 then back to 120 is dead simple to do in Reason but missing completely in Mixcraft :shock:

So with that said, PLEASE ADD THAT FEATURE ASAP :wink:
WhiRz

Post by WhiRz »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
WhiRz wrote:Does Mixcraft have automatic delay compensation (when addings plugins) ?!

If not, it could be cool to introduce a kind of Pro Tool's delay compensation and "nudge" feature.
From my point of view it's a "must have" to create tracks are tight rythmically and so sounds better.
Mixcraft 7 has delay compensation on standard tracks, but not on Submix, Output Bus and Send tracks. This should be remedied in Mixcraft 8. Some effects have much more latency than others, so with Mixcraft 7, just be aware of that and try to avoid using those high-latency effects on Submix, Output Bus and Send tracks.

Note: child tracks within submixes do have delay compensation, just not the top submix track.
Haaaaaan that explains a lot why I have some latencies with plugs on the sub but not on the individual tracks ! Alright it's really good to know that ! Thank you :D.

Also I read overhere that Mixcraft record in 16bits 41khz by default. Exporting in 32 bits 48khz would be resampling the recorded track.
I could be cool if Mixcraft 8 could record in 32 bits 48khz by default. Or at least, let us chose a default setting.
I think it could improv the quality of Mixcraft. But I'm probably wrong here ! Correct me if I am ( :twisted: )
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

WhiRz wrote:Also I read overhere that Mixcraft record in 16bits 41khz by default. Exporting in 32 bits 48khz would be resampling the recorded track.
I could be cool if Mixcraft 8 could record in 32 bits 48khz by default. Or at least, let us chose a default setting.
I think it could improv the quality of Mixcraft. But I'm probably wrong here ! Correct me if I am ( :twisted: )
Mixcraft records with whatever settings you have set in Sound Device preferences, and this will vary from sound device to sound device.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
ChimeraUK

Post by ChimeraUK »

Hi there,

First off I'm loving Mixcraft and was surprised that it was so cheap compared to other DAWS.
Secondly I would like to request (to my knowledge current iteration of Mixcraft doesn't have this) that each track have 2 panning controls so you can space out your track to either side (either L/R or Mid to Side) without doubling up the track. Ohm Studio had this feature and I found it tremendously useful and time saving when spacing out your music, would be good to have this in Mixcraft too...

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Chris
WhiRz

Post by WhiRz »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
WhiRz wrote:Also I read overhere that Mixcraft record in 16bits 41khz by default. Exporting in 32 bits 48khz would be resampling the recorded track.
Mixcraft records with whatever settings you have set in Sound Device preferences, and this will vary from sound device to sound device.
Seems outrageously logical. Moreover I knew that in fact, sorry *facepalm

+1 for the 2 pannings of the post below mine.

Post by 7915983 »

The ability to zoom in more into audio tracks for better and easier editing.
andrew7a

Post by andrew7a »

I thought this was going to be the eleventh hour but if Mixcraft 8 is still a year away I'll keep on going!

Issues
Making a selection in the timeline and cropping will crop everything even if the track you want is soloed and the Clip selected.

Requests
Search box in VST automation parameters. Wide box rather than having to scroll up or down.
It would be nice to be able to change recording parameters for individual Clips e.g. select a MIDI clip, right-click and change to overwrite, etc.
Drag velocity levels up and down of multiple selected notes.
Have a separate (hidden) box in track showing preset/name of file loaded, etc.
Have it that the more you increase the height of the track the more information is shown.
Have midi transposition option in track box e.g. to automatically transpose all incoming notes by 2 octaves whilst another track could transpose by a couple of steps, for example (It's been a while but I seem to remember Samplitude having this feature?)
Different automation pattern presets e.g. steps, sine, saw, etc.
Acoustica LFO.
Acoustic Drum Kit?
Muted Bass?
A simple tablature editor within Sound Tab.
If an area of the project has been highlighted/looped then when you go to export 'Use Selection' should be checked as default or have Export Selection as a standalone option in Menu.
nmwallace

Post by nmwallace »

Okay, so my latest session I sat down and made a list as I went of things where I went "man, this would've been really useful." So here they are in no particular order:

-Rallentandos. These are incredibly common in music of all genres and there's no real reason that I should have to manually insert tempo changes bpm by bpm and calculate where they go. I should be able to pick two separate points, create markers, and tell the DAW to automatically rall from one to the other.
-Splitting or Panning Stereo Tracks. So when I get a single track that's stereo, it would be really awesome if I could hard pan each channel left and right instead of panning both channels together (or having the whole thing sit center). Alternately, the way I work around this is to duplicate the track, and then set one to left channel only and one to right channel only, then hard pan them. If there was a way where I could tell the DAW to automatically split this stereo track into two mono tracks (Audacity does this, for example) that would be a big time saver.
-Linking Track FX. Related to the above suggestion a little bit, it would be really cool if I could stereo link tracks for fx, automation, and volume (in order of what concerns me most). For example: my client sends me a stereo guitar track. In a perfect world, I can hard pan the channels without having to split it, but if I do have to split it, it would be really helpful to tell the DAW to link those two tracks so that any EQ or compression or whatever I apply to one track gets applied to the other. Volume and automation would also be helpful because presumably 90% of the time if I'm linking tracks I want them to behave the same way across the board. Again, this would be a massive time saver. I know that technically I could just save my chains on one channel and move it to the other, but that's a cluttering up of my presets (as a minimalist, I dislike that idea) and it's really just an extra step. Workflow. Time is money (literally in this case, all the things I'm listing could cut my work time down by as much as an hour or more, saving my clients money and freeing me up to work on other clients).
-Copying/Dragging FX Chains. On that note as above, say I've got multiple guitar parts but I don't want to link them, but it's all the same guitar/tone/player/etc so I do want to use the same FX chain at very least as a starting point to be fine-tuned. ProTools, Cubase, and I think a couple others all have the ability to just drag and copy FX chains from one channel to the other. This would be another massive time-saver. Again, yes I could just save the chains as a preset, but that's still an extra step and it clutters up my preset list.
-Dragging Automations. So this one isn't really a big deal but it is one of those "man that would be sweet" things. In ProTools and Cubase, I see users who can highlight a section of automation and then drag it up or down to make adjustments just like you would with a fader or knob rather than right-clicking and adjusting the volume numerically. This would be awesome for when you're making fine-tune adjustments and you're trying to play around and find just the right level. Rather than "right click - 2 db," too loud, "right click - 1.5 db," still too loud, "right click - 1 db," too quiet, simply drag it around slowly until you get it right. (And of course, keep the option to type in a specific volume if we want it, that's a huge help more often than not.)
-Multiband Processing. Last but not least (for now), and again this is another "would be cool" things. One of my friends has Ableton, and in Ableton there's an ability to apply FX on bands. Think like a multiband compressor - you set the bandwidth (say "0 Hz - 250 Hz" for bass) and then you can apply master fx to JUST that frequency. He uses it mainly with metal to apply more transient control to the low end, and it really helps a lot. That kind of stuff would be really neat and give users more control.

That's all I've got for now, I'll post as I come up with more. I just want to say Mixcraft is awesome, I've tried other DAWs and for the most part I hated them. Mixcraft is super user friendly. I use it professionally in my studio and when I share mixes with other pros for feedback I'm definitely holding my own against ProTools, Cubase, Reaper, you name it. Just offering my suggestions to help improve the product and make it awesome for users of all genres and levels :)
rowdy777

Post by rowdy777 »

Heyall ! Keeping it short and sweet, when can we expect Mixcraft 8 ?
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

Bug fix list:

Maybe this already exists, but a list of requests and bugs that have been fixed would be helpful.
Casually following the threads requesting those things, this would be the summary of all of them.

-helmut
C# or Bb!
johnrico2000

Post by johnrico2000 »

I'm using Mixcraft since about a year now and tried some other DAWs before.

A thing I would really like to see in Mixcraft is something I encountered in Cubase and that would have helped me a lot to start with making music in the first place: Project templates according to different styles of music.
It would be great to have a preset starting point. For example if you would like to make an electro or a rap song and get a few tracks already preset with common VST instruments for these genres by Mixcraft. No prefilled melodies or something, but just preset instruments and maybe some effects like a preset EQ, so things would sound just right production-wise, even for beginners.

The second thing I would like to suggest concerns the plugin managment system. It's great that you can create your own categories and sort the plugins to your liking, but I would expect there to be some kind of default plugin categories. There is a bunch of plugins you can't tell its function just by the name. Especially for beginners it would be very nice to have these plugins already sorted into suitable categories, so you can easily find all the equilizers, delays, choruses, etc. even if the name of the plugin is not obvious to grasp. Right now it seems like every user has to re-invent the wheel although certain categories would probably make sense for everone.

Finally I would like to say thank you for a strong peace of software you already made.

Best regards,
Frank
FRANK AND FREE | Musik. Blog. Meinung.
Webseite: http://www.frankandfree.de
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB5FL_ ... Eqv7g0Zm7w
Facebook: http://www.facebook.de/frankandfreede
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Mixcraft 8 is coming along great! Some of the major features are already in, although we're not ready to announce them yet. Native side-chaining is one of them.
Oops, wrong post here.... gasp!
Last edited by GregRBand on Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
GregRBand wrote:How are things looking for Mixcraft 8 release team?
I may stir the pot a little here, but I truly want to know...... Are there any plans to adapt Mixcraft to OS X like I just read the news Cakewalk is finally doing with Sonar? Yes, I have a win 10 laptop with Mixcaft on it, but my main use computer is an iMac running El Capitan, and even though it's an older one (2008), it runs like a champ with almost all DAW's and plugins I've thrown at it.....within reason of track load and such of course..... But hey, it was had for $300 from another studio guy, what can I say! ;)

We don't currently have plans to make a Mac version of Mixcraft, but some people use Mixcraft on Macs with products like Apple Bootcamp, Parallels Desktop and Crossover Mac.
It ends up being a moot point as I have since decided to jump off the Apple train (old used iMac is too expensive to replace/upgrade) and am new proud owner of a brand new Win 10 mini desktop setup that has amazing specs for little ol home studio guy for only 20% of cost of same spec iMac.... So I am both Win 10ing away, and happily back to checking out my old Mixcraft Pro 6! :)
Now that I admitted that, I smell Mixcraft 8 coming soon, and I am wanting to upgrade my old MCP6..... I'm sure you guys have a grace period for guys like me who upgrade too close to the new version coming.... Am I safe to do so now and not have to pay for upgrade twice you think? I want to support you guys, but I also don't want to pay for upgrade twice in a few months or something ya know.... Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me! Cheers! :)
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

I have since decided to jump off the Apple train (old used iMac is too expensive to replace/upgrade) and am new proud owner of a brand new Win 10 mini desktop setup that has amazing specs for little ol home studio guy for only 20% of cost of same spec iMac.... So I am both Win 10ing away, and happily back to checking out my old Mixcraft Pro 6! :)
Now that I admitted that, I smell Mixcraft 8 coming soon, and I am wanting to upgrade my old MCP6..... I'm sure you guys have a grace period for guys like me who upgrade too close to the new version coming.... Am I safe to do so now and not have to pay for upgrade twice you think? I want to support you guys, but I also don't want to pay for upgrade twice in a few months or something ya know.... Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me! Cheers! :)