MIDI to USB Interfaces?

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ktk9

MIDI to USB Interfaces?

Post by ktk9 »

I know most people have Audio Interfaces with MIDI built in to them but is anybody using a separate MIDI Interface? If so, what are you using, and what kind of Audio Interface are you using?
Acoustica Greg

Re: MIDI to USB Interfaces?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Beware of extremely cheapo MIDI-to-USB interfaces. We've seen cases where they don't work properly, or something subtle is wrong, like a sustain pedal won't work.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
ktk9

Post by ktk9 »

I have a MIDIman USB MIDISPORT8x8/s and while reading about it on the web, I discovered that it doesn't work with Windows 7. From what I read, it needs a Firmware update (a pair of EEPROMS), which M-Audio is no longer supporting. It is what it is, I wish I had known about the Windows 7 Issue, I never would have bought it. I bought it on the suggestions of several keys players that I've known for years.

I'm trying to find out if it is just Windows 7 that it has an issue with because I'll update to Windows 10 if I have to. The recording PC is not going to be connected to the net - it is totally going to be a stand alone DAW. If Mixcraft Pro Studio 7 would run on it, I'd load that sucker with Windows 3.11 and go with that - even better would be just DOS. Can you tell I'm not fond of Windows? LOL
ktk9

Post by ktk9 »

I think I've figured out how to make this work.
I'm going to split one of my HD's in two and have a dual boot set up, and run "MPS 7" 64-bit under Windows 7 using 80% of the SSD, and then install Windows 98 on the 20% segment, and use an extremely old MIDI-only program of some type on that second setup. That way, I can play in the basic drum parts without buying a new MIDI interface... it will allow me to make MIDI files, until I figure out what I want to buy.
cremley

Post by cremley »

Using Win10 and a Roland UM-ONE. True Plug-and-Play. It just works. FWIW... I also have a Tascam US-1200 USB interface as well as a Fender Mustang with USB. All of it records simultaneously with ASIO4All. Again, it just works.
ktk9

Post by ktk9 »

I wound up throwing in the towel and bought a brand new MOTU Midi Express 128. I'll probably have it until the day I die.

:lol: