Free Neutrino

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

Pete Stobbs

Free Neutrino

Post by Pete Stobbs »

I have downloaded this and I can't tell any difference.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mix ... quirements

I notice Mixcraft and Sonar Pro are not mentioned here:

Plug-in host compatibility

Logic Pro X.2, Ableton Live 9.5, Pro Tools 12.4, Pro Tools 11.3.1, Cubase Pro 8.5, REAPER 5.11, FL Studio 12.2, Studio One 3.1.1, Pro Tools 10.3.1.
Win 8.1
8 gig ram
AMD A4 6210 1.8 GHz
Focusrite solo.
Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 5 head.
Blackstar ID30 TVP

https://soundcloud.com/pete-stobbs
https://soundcloud.com/toltec-jive
chibear

Re: Free Neutrino

Post by chibear »

Ya, I downloaded it and tried it with my violins in the upper register which are harsh no matter what lib I use using HD-280s. At 100% on both controls and the selector set on voice (instrument did nothing for my ears) I was able to hear a slight mellowing of the sound. Maybe someone with engineers' ears might be more impressed. I don't think it's a compatibility issue; It just doesn't do all that much. If that was the bait, probably not many gonna get hooked. :lol:
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Tranceprod Dan

Post by Tranceprod Dan »

It's definitely just a really subtle effect even when maxing the knobs, so it's working but unless you have a really good monitoring system you're not really going to pick up too much of a difference.
Check out the Mixcraft subreddit
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Experimented with it all week since it was released.

I placed an incidence on every track and in addition on every sub-mix track of a fairly complex project.
I then mixed down a version of the project with, and another without.
A/B comparisons on good headphones and again on studio monitors repeatedly.
I can barely discern any difference on headphones. Honestly hear no difference on monitors.

I then flipped the phase of one of the tracks to null out what was the same and hear only what was changed. I would guess theres some very mild dynamic EQ activity going on at various frequencies.
Very subtle.

So my conclusion: If its so subtle I can't really tell what its doing, is it an improvement? Or just a change I cant really quantify?
And if I can barely hear it on studio headphones, what is the worth on playback on a typical consumer system?

Similar to several other recent releases from them, its just weird. I hope they are enjoying themselves. :roll:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

I tried and didn't really notice a change either, but have to admit I didn't tried it very much so far.
Just curious for other's experiences.
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

They released the full version called Neutron now, with an intro offer. Not sure, if this really adds something to the options that come already with Mixcraft, or just makes things easier. Opinions?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

chibear wrote: If that was the bait, probably not many gonna get hooked.
I think that about sums it up for me. No chance I am going to buy based on the results of trying Neutron. They cant tempt me with a promo price on something I cant even hear doing anything..... That's not a great deal.
As far as I can see, the Emperor has no clothes. :lol:

And FWIW, I don't think Neutrino compares directly to anything in Mixcraft as far as I can tell, so I am not sure what that part of the question means.

I've demoed or used most of their plug ins, most either just don't impress or they have GUI's that are just too weird for my tastes.
Ozone7 has its strengths, but is a bit pricey for the home studio/hobbyist IMO.
The freebies they have thrown out over the last year (DDLY, Vinyl and Neutron) are just weird.
I have and use the Nectar Elements vocal plug in, and like it, but not so much as to make me eager to buy the full version. Yet.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

Mark Bliss wrote:
chibear wrote: If that was the bait, probably not many gonna get hooked.
I think that about sums it up for me. No chance I am going to buy based on the results of trying Neutron.
I'm also not sure what Neutrino was supposed to be. But ostensibly that is just a small part of Neutron.

Mark Bliss wrote:And FWIW, I don't think Neutrino compares directly to anything in Mixcraft as far as I can tell, so I am not sure what that part of the question means.
What I meant was, Mixcraft comes with a lot of plugins, EQs, compressors etc. ways to shape your sound,of which I still haven't the full overview. I was wondering if someone has an opinion whether you can do with those plugins already come with Mixcraft what Neutron does (just maybe here it's a single Plugin).
Mark Bliss wrote:I've demoed or used most of their plug ins, most either just don't impress or they have GUI's that are just too weird for my tastes.
iZotope Mastering Essentials is great imo. Stutter Edit isn't made with Mixcraft in mind, I got it to work without knowing what I was doing, but asa soon as I figured that out it will be a great plugin too.

I focus too much on composing and am not yet so experienced with mixing, that's why I ask for opinions.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I am in the middle of studying an in depth third party tutorial on Neutron, and so far..... I'd say it has some interesting features and I may have to change my position. Neutrino was a very poor introduction to it imo, and iZotopes has done a very poor job of presenting it, of that I am certain.
I'll probably decide I would like it just about the time the intro price offer expires. That's about par for me.

Mastering essentials has never really been anything I could get excited about. The interface and controls are weird, and to be honest, there isn't even one preset I have found useful as a starting point or even for educational purposes for exploring the plug in. That's just me, opinions vary, use what works for you. Plenty of fish about.

Stutter edit? As far as I can tell..... I don't think it has any purpose in any music I would produce or listen to. Again, that's just me.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Mark Bliss wrote:Stutter edit? As far as I can tell..... I don't think it has any purpose in any music I would produce or listen to.
Oh come on! The Who My G-g-g-g-Generation? The Knack M-m-m-m-m-My Sharona? :twisted:

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

:roll: Uh, yeah.... cause that's how that was done back then!

I stick to my original story, until exposed evidence to the contrary.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

Mark Bliss wrote:I am in the middle of studying an in depth third party tutorial on Neutron, and so far..... I'd say it has some interesting features and I may have to change my position.
Is this tutorial accessible free online?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Not free, I think you can purchase the tutorial individually for a fairly affordable price however.
https://www.groove3.com/izotope-trainin ... -Explained

It may seem odd to some that I study tutorials on software I don't own...... but I have a full membership to everything on the site, so I often evaluate plug ins before considering purchase, or just to gain knowledge and understanding of whats available by getting some more in-depth information.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Correction, maybe "in depth" was a poor choice of term.
These are more often than that more of a "thorough feature overview", and additionally often have a bit of a "promotional" tone or quality.
But that's ok as long as you consider that. Better than a vague "you know you want it' sales pitch.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page