In A Moment (MsNickybee)

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mark Bliss

In A Moment (MsNickybee)

Post by Mark Bliss »

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/mbliss01/iam-1061-master6

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcCk3dqTJ2o

Please like! (and share if you like!)

Written and Performed by MsNickybee (*Copyright)
Co-Produced by MsNickybee and Mark Bliss
Mixing and Mastering by Mark Bliss
Video by MsNickybee

Nicky shared a demo with me of this old project of hers, and I immediately expressed a desire to produce a version of it myself. There was just so many catchy things about it I really liked. She generously agreed.

After a delay working on other things, and in my spare time, I messed around with some ideas. The guitar tracks she had shared were well recorded and played, and IMO, excellently arranged. I largely used them as she had presented with only minor tweaks.
After some rearranging, editing and a new rough mix of the other instrument tracks, we re-recorded a new set of vocal tracks for the song and I went back to work.......

I worked hard on this and learned a lot. And offer a big "thank you" to Nicky for the opportunity and experience. I hope we can do another soon!

*Suggestion, for best quality I have enabled downloads on Soundcloud for now, which will allow anyone interested to download listen to a "CD quality" version. Headphones recommended for full enjoyment of the many little details!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Re: In A Moment (MsNickybee)

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Wow, very nice!
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

One of the big things I loved about this was the 5 tempo jumps (count 'em!) I initially programmed in for each section, to build tension and engagement and remove the computerised feel, tried to make it work....
Mark particularly brought out my initial use of the recorder, and really held onto those guitar pinch harmonics, which I love.
This was a difficult birth - mainly because of my poor vocal technique and confidence lol - but Mark is extremely patient and an excellent encouragement and producer!! and together we made something that I loved my guitar playing on, but ready to throw away immeasurably better...
HUGE THANKS.
:D :D
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel
outteh

Post by outteh »

Well done! Congratulations on a great tune and mix! :D
Sir Sparky

Post by Sir Sparky »

Just so, so good , everything is just amazing , great job , both of you :D
Mixcraft 7 Pro - Roland Octa-Capture - Rokit8 speakers and sub -DigiTech VocalistVR - Behringer MDX2200 composer pro - Roland U-220 - M audio keystation - Boss GT-3 - Boss GT-6B
Lots of luck and good friends :D
benhal9

Post by benhal9 »

OUTSTANDING!
NewbeeNo99

Post by NewbeeNo99 »

There where lots of good guitar playing here indeed, but not limited to that. Everything is perfect balanced. Lots of nice transitions between instruments.

Specially I got my mind stuck on the way the two acoustic rythm guitars combine each other, but each on its own channel. At 03:25 they create this cool rythm together.

Listening to this I got several tips about channelling. Don't even know if channeling is a english word though :lol: But you get my meaning. Great work to both... and thanks for tips.... 8)

****left suddenly the building to do some changes to his own works**** :lol:
Humble musician from Norway, mellowed since 1979
Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/moysalen-music/tracks
Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Moysalen ... 799?ref=hl
Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2ivsr ... 2XepJqxpbw
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Thanks to everyone for the supportive and positive comments. Really appreciate it.

And the notion that an idea was inspired, that just makes me feel a little warm and fuzzy inside, because THAT is why I share and try to be helpful here. Thank you for that.

That strummed ending was completely Nicky's idea, and like many of the great little parts of this song I give credit to her creativity.
I will say though, that I put a lot of effort into getting that transition and the level of that strummed part just so...... It took a few tries. I shared a draft version or two, and like most things Nicky responded by saying what I thought before I even said it. "That strum is just slightly too loud" Yes it was. And so it went for most of the song, many times I had already reworked something before she responded with her critique.

Some might think a simple arrangement like this would be easier to mix than a more complex tune. IMO it is not.
There's nowhere to hide anything. Every little detail has to be polished and anything that isn't will jump right out at you.
But I remain quite pleased with the result of this version, and thank you all again! 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Nice tune and lyrics Nicky.

-h
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

The percussion works Mark! -h
mick

Post by mick »

Like to add to previous comments that the stereo imaging and instrument placement is excellent. :D
In addition to the vocals and Guitar work that is!
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

NewbeeNo99 wrote:Specially I got my mind stuck on the way the two acoustic rythm guitars combine each other, but each on its own channel. At 03:25 they create this cool rhythm together.
You've hit upon one of my most fav parts of the track...that L channel part where it's fingerpicked with a sync'd delay line, I'm a sucker for delay more than reverb sometimes I think :-)
(Shameless!! plug for my Begin Again track lol for lots of delay used in piano parts, and Lonely Road for overlapping/repeating/delayed acoustic)
Stereo is a tricky thing, Mark was good at moderating my double-tracking, as I have a tendency to double-track a lot, but in this a very very close harmony guitar part worked better on the other channel to give a fuller sound.
Mick wrote:Like to add to previous comments that the stereo imaging and instrument placement is excellent. :D
thanks! that was a lot of work, and I know mark took that one on particularly seriously, so thanks for calling it out!

thanks everyone, you're all fab x
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

OK, so now what? If you two would be agreeable to letting some younger singers cover this piece I believe it would be a good thing. I have this young lady in mind. Not only is she an acquaintance of mine, she's a very talented singer, songwriter, actress, and director even. (It was hard to pick a video...)

I was on the sound board that night and the CD was defective so this was an impromptu acapella performance. -h

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr7hlk2izvk

A more formal video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o_F1MJQAY4

There's just something about this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYDj9Vnr9R0
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

AHornsby wrote:OK, so now what?
Well, for me, a break. I am in somewhat of a limbo at the moment. I have a couple song projects I am mulling over, trying to determine if I feel they are worth diving into. Spent a little time finishing some instrument projects in the wood shop that had been neglected too long, etc. IF the shock, anxiety and fatigue of the election wears off soon I will be getting back into things. In the meantime I have been filling some spare time trying to break MX8.

I can't (and wouldn't) try to speak for Nicky, but if she approved and agreed, I would be open to previewing additional tracks. We did discuss some thoughts of mixing another version at some point, but need to do something else for a while. I love the song, but the (13 I think?) versions I worked on this summer and fall were enough for a little while.
Don't get me wrong, I AM interested, just not in a rush ya know? I had someone in mind to try a few vocal takes of it, and had some instrumental/arrangement variation ideas for the song, and would be thrilled at some point to revisit it.

So if Nicky liked the idea, and someone wanted to send me a set of takes or ideas, I remain open minded, and have some ideas and suggestions of my own....... 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page