Drag n Drop doesn't work (from Win Explorer window)

Post your support questions and/or give feedback for Acoustica MP3 CD Burner in this forum.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

paulzak

Drag n Drop doesn't work (from Win Explorer window)

Post by paulzak »

I've used this wonderful software for years but I've never been able to get this feature to work and I finally decided to post. I have Acoustica (v 4.72) open, I then open windows and go my MP3 file folders (either on my hard drive or an external drive that is included in Acoustica's library). When I right click a song(s) and drag to Acoustica window, I do get the "+" sign on the cursor but the files do NOT get added. Not at all. I'm running Win 7.

Adding songs this way would be much faster than using the software's library.

If I click the apps "+" button on window menu at top, I can navigate to the folder(s) and double-click to add a file(s) but the user manual describes being able to drag them directly from Win Explorer window, opened directly. Or, am I confused?

Why doesn't this feature work for me?
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Re: Drag n Drop doesn't work (from Win Explorer window)

Post by Acoustica Eric »

I remember this same issue from a while back and I think it's because you are logged in to your computer without administrator permissions.
Run mixcraft from an administrator account, or right click the icon and choose run as administrator.
paulzak

Post by paulzak »

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried the right-click RUN AS ADMIN and no joy. Nothing change - still not working. I even checked settings for the desktop icon to open MP3 CD Burner app. Run as Admin is checked.

I had searched this boards past posts and found only a few posts on this topic but nothing about anyone not getting drag and drop to work at all, which seems strange. So I'm still stumped.

Any other ideas?
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

try logging into the computer as an administrator and run it.
paulzak

Post by paulzak »

I am logged in as an Admin, always am. I just confirmed that too.

What else?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Maybe it's the files themselves. Can you drag and drop some files you dropped before? What kind of files are they?

Greg
paulzak

Post by paulzak »

They're just MP3 files that I can move to playlist in app using the library but I want to be able to move files by dragging, too, since that's advertised as a feature that others seem to be able to do. I've tried just doing one file, no luck. I've tried a group of files, no luck. I've tried doing from the hard drive and then from my External HHD and no luck. If I could record a screen video for you to show you what I'm trying, I would but I don't know how to do that.

Any other ideas???
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Cam studio is a free video screen capture program.
paulzak

Post by paulzak »

Here's a link to the short screen capture I made showing what I'm doing and that your app's drag and drop won't work. See comments that appear at bottom of video screen.

Waiting for your further feedback. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOrxAQZL ... e=youtu.be
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Is there a cd in your drive? It looks like there is at first, which you do know you cannot write more files to an existing audio cd right?
Also, does this same thing happen if you start a new song list rather than trying to add to an existing one?
paulzak

Post by paulzak »

Nope, no CD in drive when I recorded the screen capture video.
Yes, it doesn't work either when starting a new song list or adding to an existing one.

Is there some Win7 bug running this app.
(The app hasn't been updated in a while?)

NOTE: I'm running Win 7 64-bit, if that matters.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Nope, it works fine on windows 7 x64, in fact that is what i am running.
It's got to be a permissions thing with windows.
Like maybe the application was installed under a different windows account than the one you are running it from, or the files you are trying to drag onto the interface and owned by a different user, or windows security settings are blocking drag & drop for unknown programs, or something.
paulzak

Post by paulzak »

I'm the only user on this laptop, have always been the only user and there aren't any other accounts other than admin so that should be a factor.

Windows setting...maybe, but I haven't seen this issue with any other apps on the laptop. Or, maybe some setting per the HP config. (Are you running an HP config'd PC?) They love to put tons of junk on their boxes when they ship. My warranty just ended so someday I'll do a clean rebuild w/o voiding any warranty and maybe your app will work better then.

So this looks like a dead end.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

No, I don't run pre-made boxes, I build all mine :-) Well accept one gateway but even that got wiped and partitioned into a multi-boot system the day I got it.
However, the HP factory installed bloatware won't cause this, it would be windows security settings.
Try going to user accounts from control panel, then "change user account control settings", pull the slider all the way down. Reboot and see if that helps.
paulzak

Post by paulzak »

Ok, that worked!! But do I really need to set the account to NEVER NOTIFY ME (of programs installing themselves or win. settings being change) to use your app's drag and drop? Are ALL of your users at the lowest account control setting? The window you sent me to to make the change says lowering the protection setting may be necessary if a program is not certified for Windows 7 and thus does not support User Account Control. Is the the case with your app?

Or, do I need to re-install it and ensure I do so under my user account?
(Maybe I didn't do it that way after all).

I'm not sure I'm comfortable set Win 7 to never notify me. Is that the only way I'll get drag and drop to work?