Not hearing Sound when Recording

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

cihrig

Not hearing Sound when Recording

Post by cihrig »

The recordings, software, etc. all appear to be working great! Unfortunately I can't hear the record playing through the computer speakers when recording. What setting am I missing?
Thanks for the assistance
Chris
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It's not intuitive, but your soundcard has two different volume controls: one for recording and one for playback. It's entirely possible to have the recording volume turned way up and not hear what you're recording, as you found out.

Double-click on the small volume control icon that appears on your Windows taskbar and make sure the source you are recording is not muted. For example, it's common for the playback volume control for the microphone to be muted.

Greg
cihrig

Post by cihrig »

Thanks for the reply. That doesn't appear to be the issue. I have tried several other programs and could hear at the same time. No additional settings have been changed. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your hard work on the program. Very impressive
Chris
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What source are you recording? Microphone? Line In?

Did you do what I suggested? Did a volume control mixer panel come up? Did you look at the mute button for each source?

Edited to add:

If you are recording a USB device, let us know what it is.

Greg
cihrig

Post by cihrig »

Recording Source: Line In
Tried what your recommended:
Volume controls show all open - max. none muted.
USB interface: INport

Thanks
Chris
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

That's the problem, then. Spin It Again can't play back the USB input unless it's routed through the soundcard. In this case, monitor the recording at the source if whatever your recording has headphones or speaker outputs.

The reason that the other software works (I'm guessing it's the program that was bundled with the INport) is that they've written a special driver to monitor the USB audio.

Greg
cihrig

Post by cihrig »

Thats good to know. I hooked up an additional speaker and that solved the issue. For future enhancements to your product, it might be worth considering. It was a nice feature of the other products. It did not persuade me to go a different direction than Spin It Again. The simple work around did great once I knew the problem. Thanks for the advice and blessings!
Chris
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, it would be a nice feature! I logged it as a feature suggestion.

Greg
dhlarson

2 votes for hearing what your recording

Post by dhlarson »

i send the motion for being able to hear what i'm recording. that would be great! :)

so far, i've been testing this software -- my second test, and it seems VERY nice. before i had another software product that i used, and it was not very easy to use; which meant that i was the only one who could figure it out (not even my teenager could get it to work -- toooooo hard). but this software is so easy, that both the teenager and my wife said they'll be able to record records into cd's -- we'll see :)
Acoustica Greg

Re: 2 votes for hearing what your recording

Post by Acoustica Greg »

dhlarson wrote:i send the motion for being able to hear what i'm recording. that would be great! :)
Just to clarify, you can hear what you're recording, unless you're using a USB interface. If the device you're recording has an option to connect to your computer via a 1/8" Line In connector, you would be able to listen as you record.

If someone has it hooked up via Line In and is not hearing the recording, it's just a matter of un-muting or adjusting the recording playback volume.

Greg
Donna

No sound while recording on laptop

Post by Donna »

Hello Greg,

Program works without a hitch on my desktop and laptop except on the laptop I cannot hear sound as it records. I have checked all the settings for playback and record and the volume icon to ensure none are muted. I am using a Technics tape recorder going from line out to the mic connector on my Dell Inspiron 6000. I have my dektop speakers connected to the headphone jack on the laptop. It records with no sound audible but when I play back what I recorded it does come from the external speakers. On the desktop I use the line-in and don't have the problem so wondering if I have to go the USB soundcard route?
Thanks in-advance,
Donna
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

With a USB device, you probably wouldn't be able to monitor the recording. You should be able to do with the microphone input on that laptop, however.

On most computers, the microphone playback is muted by default. Double-click on the small volume control icon on your Windows taskbar and check the mute button for the microphone.

Greg