Challenge: Publish an example of your work in a month!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

TrevsAudio

Challenge: Publish an example of your work in a month!

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hey Mixcrafters!

There are several fine examples of our members work available on-line; but to those (myself included) who don't have any audio out there, I'd like to lay down the gauntlet.

Who will join me in my challenge to publish something by the end of March 2013?

Rules will be very simple:
1. You must only use Mixcraft - any version.
2. Any genre - original or covers.
3. No criticism, only compliments!

I issue this challenge because I know there must be many like myself who spend too much time reading about recording instead of DOING it.

C'mon guys and dolls - are you a man/woman or a mouse - Squeak up!

Acknowledge your acceptance here and also post your links here when you're done.

The only winners are the participants.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
SoundSquire

Re: Challenge: Publish an example of your work in a month!

Post by SoundSquire »

I'm in. Sounds like fun. 8)
All the best,
Sam

SoundCloud
Mixcraft Live
YouTube
Jaymzzb

Post by Jaymzzb »

Fantastic idea.

I'll have a go!

:)
aj113

Post by aj113 »

OK I posted this link in another thread for a different reason.

Click on 'All Songs' - the first seven songs in the list (up to and including 'Retribution') were engineered and produced by me using Mixcraft exclusively. The first four songs in the list are on an EP which will be "released" on the merch tables at Brofest, Newcastle (UK) on Saturday.

http://www.reverbnation.com/salemuk
aj113

Post by aj113 »

trevlyns wrote:....No criticism, only compliments!....
The main value of an exercise like this is in the critique that the participants receive IMO. Otherwise, what is the purpose of it?
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

aj113 wrote:The main value of an exercise like this is in the critique that the participants receive IMO. Otherwise, what is the purpose of it?
I think trevlyns is looking mainly for forum participants who mess around a little with Mixcraft but never actually finish or publish anything. His is a challenge for folks to actually put something out there and get encouragement and congratulations for taking that first step. As he wrote:
trevlyns wrote:I issue this challenge because I know there must be many like myself who spend too much time reading about recording instead of DOING it.
*Vibrant Audio*
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

I agree with aj113. If there are to be only compliments and no constructive criticism then the whole thing is a pointless exercise in backslapping and massaging of fragile egos. That's disgustingly too politically correct for my liking and is a recipe for mediocrity.
SoundSquire

Post by SoundSquire »

Dang...I have stuff published already. I would like to still take the challenge of publishing something new and different. Most of my stuff has been techno, electro, dubstep etc.

I want to do something new (out of my comfort zone) using only virtual instruments and the piano roll. Can I still play? 8)

I promise I won't sing. :lol:
All the best,
Sam

SoundCloud
Mixcraft Live
YouTube
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Yeah, that comment was a little tongue in cheek - like the Mafia boss said "Rules are like bones - they're made to be broken" :D

I'd say let's keep it all constructive though.

And Sam, you're definitely IN! That was the whole point - produce something from scratch in a month - not that it excludes stuff already produced - here we go breaking bones again :lol:
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member

Jaymzzb

Post by Jaymzzb »

I think its a brilliant idea.

It shouldnt be something that you've already recorded previously because I think thats against the point of the challenge.
It should be something new. Written,recorded and mixed within a month and everyone should post their links here on March 31st.

Personally I think both compliments and constructive critiscm should be allowed.
benhal9

Post by benhal9 »

maybe make it through april?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

All right Trevor, what have you started here.........
My first reaction was that this is interesting timing, given that you are studying the Berkley Production course this month. What are you a glutton for punishment? Got too much spare time? I suspect this is a move to force your own hand to get something out of the box?

Also noted is that I suggested something very similar a while back in a discussion with Dan and you get the idea posted as a sticky! Hmm, whats up here? :D

Ok, whatawegonado?

Oh, and since its turned into a debate on the criticism question, let me vote that to me, the most useful route would be to encourage something that goes like "hey that was cool how you did that part, how did you do it?" and turn it into a useful discussion. Otherwise it turns into an endless thumbs up or down response that isnt very productive. Maybe its just me.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

All points taken Mark! 8)

To be fair, I do have quite a bit of time and I am perhaps forcing my own hand so we could extend it into April - no problem. I just find, since it has a deadline to it, I'm working more and more on my project - something I need to do as this will be my first completed project!

Also, I'm sure we're all mature enough to take and judge the merit of criticism so I don't see any problem there.

BTW, this was originally a regular post but the Mixcraft boys made it a sticky - much to my surprise. :shock:
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Also, I'm sure we're all mature enough to take and judge the merit of criticism so I don't see any problem there.
Ha, that has been proven wrong a few times around here! :roll:

Great idea, lets see where this goes.

Maybe encouraging something simple would be a good place to start, get the most possible responses?

I was actually thinking of starting something similar over in the tips and tricks forum. I was trying to decide between two concepts.

1: Open submission for a simple quick loop based instrumental from the Mixcraft library. Maybe even restricted to a set of loops and a say 2 hour time limit to arrange and mix a tune. just to see what people come up with, then discuss methods.

or, 2: A step by step walk through a project, similar to above. Open of course to questions and discussion, welcoming input on how to do things in other ways etc.

Problem. I have so little time right now. Working long hours, remodeling room by room at home, early spring lawn and garden time upon us
(We already have seedlings sprouting in the "nursury"!) etc.

But still, I am wondering what everyone thinks of these ideas?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
SoundSquire

Post by SoundSquire »

Another good idea Mbliss!

I like these types of 'events'. As Trevlyns eluded to, having a deadline is motivating. With many of us not on the professional side of the music industry these types of events/challenges are a great exercise for those of us not on the music clock.

I already started working on my track! :mrgreen:
All the best,
Sam

SoundCloud
Mixcraft Live
YouTube