Mixcraft 7 suggestions?

This forum is for use by the beta testing team. Team members can use it to discuss testing issues and help squash those elusive bugs.

NOTE: this forum is for beta software only. This is not a support forum for released software.

Moderator: Acoustica Eric

Mark Bliss

Re: Mixcraft (7.1 and beyond?) suggestions?

Post by Mark Bliss »

I have two new ones for future consideration.

*Backstory/explanation: I sometimes get the opportunity to "sit in" with a producer who has far more experience than I. One of those occasions occurred a few days ago and I learned a few new tricks that a certain popular pro studio level DAW allows, and I think it would sure be nice to add something similar to our bag of Mixcraft tricks!

One:
Relevent to this tip - http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtop ... 545#p70545
I would like to have shortcut to a pop up level slider instead of being limited to 5, 10, 25 or 50%

Two: The ability to make a tracks status "Hidden and inactive".

Nice...... 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Brian S

Re: Mixcraft 7 suggestions?

Post by Brian S »

I think we can already hide a track can't we? Unclick the box in the mixer window?

Speaking of slider / faders and UI improvements . . . pretty much *any* of the current Mixcraft "Send" knobs would be a lot more user friendly as faders.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Brian S wrote:I think we can already hide a track can't we? Unclick the box in the mixer window?

Speaking of slider / faders and UI improvements . . . pretty much *any* of the current Mixcraft "Send" knobs would be a lot more user friendly as faders.
Hold down the shift key when you use the Send knob (or any knob in Mixcraft) for finer control.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Brian S wrote:I think we can already hide a track can't we? Unclick the box in the mixer window.
Yes that will hide the track in the mixer view. I am not certain as to the "inactive" status however. Greg? Does doing this have any effect on reducing resource loads?
My use of this function has been to make the tracks I was working with fit into the window as needed.

But back to what I was describing, imagine this scenario working in the "tracks view":
You edit a set of clips into a (possibly finished) track and have it ready for your rough mix. You can render the clips into a track.... but you want to keep the original clips conveniently available for possible later changes.
Render a copy of the track, make the original tracks status "hidden and inactive" and you have both, but only one active instead of so many project versions. Make sense?

And a further explanation of the "clip gain slider" I was describing. In the example I saw, a slider popped up, and when adjusted, the waveform of the highlighted section responded to the adjustments, so you could very quickly adjust the level to pretty closely match relative to the other portions of the track.
Its hard to describe clearly, and a minor thing really. But when witnessed in person, it was a "wow" moment. Pretty slick IMO! 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

mbliss wrote: But back to what I was describing, imagine this scenario working in the "tracks view":
You edit a set of clips into a (possibly finished) track and have it ready for your rough mix. You can render the clips into a track.... but you want to keep the original clips conveniently available for possible later changes.
Render a copy of the track, make the original tracks status "hidden and inactive" and you have both, but only one active instead of so many project versions. Make sense?
Oh, I do this all the time. I just push all the original tracks into a submix, which I then mute, and close the submix view (you may want to mute the subtracks as well, I don't know if muting the submixer will mute all the child tracks as well [take them out of the audio processing stream], or just silence any potential audio output [post processing]).

So, mbliss, you're saying you want to see the waveform adjust to your volume adjusting in real time?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Anorax wrote:you're saying you want to see the waveform adjust to your volume adjusting in real time?
I am not sure I would call it "real time"
What was demonstrated to me, would be that while editing, paused, and the desired clip highlighted similar to what I showed in the last image in this tip: http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtop ... 545#p70545
Instead of a window with a choice of 5,10,25,50%, a little slider popped up, and the representative waveform in the highlighted clip area responded to the slider, allowing you to very quickly adjust the level to be similar to the other areas of the clip. This would allow later final mixing tweaks to be very minor.

Maybe when/if I get time I will try to gather up some screen shots to help better illustrate the concept.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

I think I understand, when you slide the slider up to boost, the waveform visually increases in height to match the increase in amplitude, and the same would hold true for decreasing volume
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

COME OUT WITH IT SOON PLEASE!!!!!!!
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Anorax wrote:I think I understand, when you slide the slider up to boost, the waveform visually increases in height to match the increase in amplitude, and the same would hold true for decreasing volume
Thats pretty much it Anorax. I know its a frivolous sounding little thing, but as soon as I saw it I could see how much time I could save during editing/premixing stages.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

mbliss wrote:
Brian S wrote:I think we can already hide a track can't we? Unclick the box in the mixer window.
Yes that will hide the track in the mixer view. I am not certain as to the "inactive" status however. Greg? Does doing this have any effect on reducing resource loads?
No, I don't think it reduce resource loads, not like freezing the track would anyway. Anorax's suggestion of putting the optional tracks in a submix sounds like a good one.
lars
Location: http://www.thesessionguitarist.com/onli ... rvice.html

Post by lars »

I gave many suggestions here...but after reading all the inputs here - including mines - I felt that I prefered just one change, but Mixcraft 7 coming out tomorrow: 64 bit!!! (I know this will come in V7) :D

This is the only thing I can't tolerate at the moment anymore. I have 12GB of ram and 8 of them just vegetating there not being used :mrgreen:

Windows 7 needs already 1 - 2 GB ram. Then put a nice Piano sample library in mixcraft which needs also 1-2 GB Ram and including a few good vst plug ins you are already at the limit.
Only thing completely outdated for now. This had to come first actually, even with the updates, not upgrades. Emulations become better and need more ressources. To work with 4Gb ram nowday is completely out of reality. Tried jbridge, but didnt' resolve things for me and was to fussy.

http://www.thesessionguitarist.com/
gnarly

Post by gnarly »

I started out with Sequel but then they stopped supporting Windows XP very early on, so then I started using Magix Music Maker. When ever they did an "upgrade", all their upgrades were basically stand alone programs in that they would add new features. sounds, instruments, etc, but then they would take away some of the other ones and not make this a known fact until someone would ask "What happened to Orgasm Saxaphone ?. It was one of my favorites and now its gone. I paid for it on MM 2011,but on MM 2013 its gone." So I guess I would say, use Mixcraft 7 to make Mixcraft 6 " better". If you intend to drop a feature or sound or instrument or VST or any thing, tell your customer base first and up front. You have a nice product.....they are all the same and they are all different. there is a learning curve, I don't care how "easy" you make it. If the pdf help file is more than 2 pages....you're gonna get letters...the bigger the help file, the more letters. Thanks
lars
Location: http://www.thesessionguitarist.com/onli ... rvice.html

Post by lars »

You are completely right ! Compatibility should have priority. To be able to load projects/Songs from 2012 and find all the sound without having to replace things. I love Mixcraft 6. So I agree M7 to have the same workflow and basement, just improved...

http://www.thesessionguitarist.com/
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

lars wrote:
Windows 7 needs already 1 - 2 GB ram. Then put a nice Piano sample library in mixcraft which needs also 1-2 GB Ram and including a few good vst plug ins you are already at the limit.
Only thing completely outdated for now. This had to come first actually, even with the updates, not upgrades. Emulations become better and need more ressources. To work with 4Gb ram nowday is completely out of reality.
my latest song has 3 or 4 different CPU intensive keyboards,over 40 tracks w/ beaucoup fx,channel strip vst's,etc. & I'm only @ 28-30% resource usage w/ only 3 of 4gb RAM running & Windows 7 32bit.

all of that w/ an intensive background & internet on 1/2 the time.

maybe you just need to optimize your comp better for recording. :wink:
Rat Sass

Post by Rat Sass »

Sure would be nice if each track had an output option in a dropbox like the input option, instead of having to insert output tracks and assigning them and then assigning the audio tracks to each output track. Is there some other use for output tracks that I'm not seeing? I only learn about things as I need them, so I know I'm still missing a lot. :)

Oh, and a global setting for changing the recording mode on all channels would be nice.