Something to play with

Looking to collaborate with somebody on a Mixcraft project? This the place! Please be mindful of others' privacy and be careful what you post in the public thread.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

Tiasdad

Something to play with

Post by Tiasdad »

So, to get the ball rolling, I've been messing with this well known Neil Young track as it has got into my head and I can't get it out.

I've produced it as MIDI only using basic acapella voices for ease of sharing in all versions of MC6. The MX6 file can be downloaded here ...https://app.box.com/s/or8t97c4fhvv1nchu7cm

Please have a play and if you mix it down to mp3 etc, please include a storage link so we can have a listen.

The harmonica section has not been included but maybe this is something you may want to address.

(this is meant as a bit of a fun challenge and to test that this section will stand up to the use for which it is intended)

Have fun !!

Gary
Last edited by Tiasdad on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” ― Frank Zappa
My Soundcloud
outteh

Re: Something to play with

Post by outteh »

Can't access your file. It says it's not available or I don't have permissions. :cry:
Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

outteh wrote:Can't access your file. It says it's not available or I don't have permissions. :cry:
Thank you :)

Hopefully fixed now ... Updated link in original post !!

Greg, the mx6 extension issue is still denied :(
Gary
My Soundcloud
outteh

Post by outteh »

Just to be sure, you don't mind if I edit some of your files while I add some of my own? There are some timing and tempo issues and I would like to play acoustic guitar, bass and harmonica on this song. It is a great tune by a great artist. :)
Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

I have a tendency to alter songs beyond the norm, in this case I was going to try and perform an acapella version but I would like to hear what others would do to it to make it 'theirs' so please, do as you will with it.

Maybe at the end, we could take the best of each version and see what we can build out of it together :)
Gary
My Soundcloud
benhal9

Post by benhal9 »

OK... so I am about to make you very happy or pissed... hoping for happy. I am almost done with my take of this.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Crap, Gary! I forgot all about this project. I,m about halfway done with it and will post it soon. :cry:
benhal9

Post by benhal9 »

outteh wrote:Crap, Gary! I forgot all about this project. I,m about halfway done with it and will post it soon. :cry:
This is going to be SWEET!!! 2 different directions totaly, I am sure... I cant wait to hear yours as well!
benhal9

Post by benhal9 »

OK... it is done... first, I had to rename it so that it fit what I was thinking. I give you Christmas Moon
http://youtu.be/ePxyFjPOq28

So, as to what I did to it. I kept all your tracks just the way you had them. It fealt good the way it was without effects. But I loaded up my omnisphere and added the choirs from that to give it deapth. I added a boys choir, a standard choir, and a gospel choir and panned them to give a real big feel.
I also gently added in some strings just to give it a little something extra. Now, one of the first things you should notice is the Slay bells. It took me a bit to find bells I liked and then I had to cut splice squeeze and make a ever so slightly off beat loop. But I think they set it over the top. The guitar I wen't away from my norm and used the Shred amp sim. I usualy won't use it because they tend to be noisy without gates, so I loaded up the gates and Bobs yer uncle. And the only effect I used in mixing was the Pultronic Tube Amp. The Video I did all with MC because I am forcing myself to get used to it. I ripped off 7 differen't youtubes of Christmas stuff and sliced it in around a cute story. I found MixCraft to be very simple for editing this one. The white in and out was very smooth and the transitions betwean clips worked well. But the lanes do not work exactly like I thought they should. Sometimes they would blend the videos beautifully and other they would do nothing. So I started with 3 lanes and by the end where I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, I gave up on the lanes and settled using the one track with no lanes. Not quite what I wanted for video blends but close. I was going to add some text but I couldn't realy do as much as I would have liked to there. Lots of nice fonts, but limited with what you can do with it. the other thing I could not figure out was how to do a PiP kinda thing, so I didn't do a PiP kinda thing. All in all, I am pleased, and I hope you are too.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Pretty interesting - the video is great! I'm sure Gary will enjoy the Christmas touch! :D
outteh

Post by outteh »

Ok here's my take - kept to the original song, great tune by Neil Young. Added vocals (not at the tenor pitch of Neil, can't do that) drum track, piano, organ, harmonica, lead guitar, rythym guitar and added a cello ending. Kept all the accapella voicings - very nicely constructed Gary. Enjoy.

Harvet Moon - Gary Lieshman
Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

Hahaha I love it Tom, I could hear a few remnants from my midi in there but you've totally made it your own, well done sir :)
Gary
My Soundcloud
Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

Apologies Benhal9, I too totally forgot about this .... love the guitar on your version, very in keeping with the mood and the video does give it a festive twist :)
Gary
My Soundcloud