Soundcard Upgrade

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BERZERKER

Soundcard Upgrade

Post by BERZERKER »

Hey everyone! First of all, Im lovin the musicians bundle. I have come up with some good recordings considering I'm just using my gaming mic for now. However, I plan to upgrade asap, but I'm wondering...can I upgrade to a better soundcard with the needed connector jacks even though I currently have an onboard soundcard?
I'll have some stuff posted on myspace when i figure out how to get it on there. Holler back
www.myspace.com/leopdyer
www.myspace.com/cosmicpillar
www.myspace.com/mudrope

"Those who criticize your dreams are to weak to follow their own. "
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

The line in and mic jacks on the onboard sound will work just fine. Unless you notice crackling or other odd problems, I would leave it alone until you find a need to get a better card.

I have many pc's running on my network, one is a major recording studio pc, it uses the M-Audio Delta101LT sound card, but the rest all use onboard realtek AC97 sound and I record easily with any of them.
BERZERKER

soundcard

Post by BERZERKER »

I currently have the realtek AC97......are you talkin about the colored jacks on the back? .....youll have to forgive my ignorance....i have played music and recorded plenty, but just never on my own at the controls or for set-up, etc.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Yep, the sound jacks are usually 1/8 inch, blue, red, green.

Use the mic or line in to record with.
BERZERKER

SOUNCARD

Post by BERZERKER »

Ok, so just when I get a real microphone...I need to get an adapter going from1/4 inch to 1/8 inch. Cool ...thanks man. I cant wait to get better gear. Ive been using my pc mic and have been able to tweak my tracks fairly decent to a listenable manner. When I'm playin blues on my clean channel its easy, but if Im playing metal its a bit more difficult to get the noise out. Anyway, thanks again!
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

samash.com- product gmp-113 1/4fe to 1/8 male- cost $2.50 sorry i can't copy the site but thats the part #
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

here's my question - i'm on a new cow in the box- sigmatel hi def codec soundcard- comp mic ( until i get my fasttrack usb) and i can get a great sound between amping right & vst fx & mixcraft - question is - i recorded something earlier ( http://www.garageband.com/robynleecastle rudefunk- i got a lot of noise - this was 1st day w/ mixcraft & burned to cd & uploaded from cd to garageband - is there a noise reduction device w/ mixcraft 2.5 or did i just not get the mix (fx) right - i thinks it was me - cause my guitar sounds have been getting better - like having a rack w/ out the back ache - rack in a lunch box ( & even easier & cheaper than guitarrig)
gypsy101

p.s.

Post by gypsy101 »

if you need help w/ a guitar sound i may be able to help, if you have a drum track to trade or even just to help w/ your sound - it would be great to have a new discussion group - mixcraft collaborations ( hint eric & greg)
Last edited by gypsy101 on Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

ok i got the adapter we discussed, but another question- for mic'ing.. i know the guitar will mic well - but for vocals would a preamp be required - i got the crappy soundcard & driver that came w/ this system (sigmatel hi def audio codec)& i'd hate to blow it up - trying to get the best jam for the buck lol - and yes eric ... i too love sunsets & .. oh different window... lmfao ( no.. i don't roll that way lol
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

No preamp needed, plug it into the mic jack, go into Windows advanced sound properties and turn on the "mic boost".
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

here's another question - i have a zoom g1 processor (output max level +3 dbm, output load impedance of 10 kiloohms or more ) line /headphone out wondering if i can line in this to the comp w/out blowing things up ?
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

If the unit has a line out, or signal connection, it is fine. Just don't connect to any jacks that power a speaker.