Preview won't play -- why?

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

Lodgepole

Preview won't play -- why?

Post by Lodgepole »

I can record a tape, apply effects, split it into tracks, save to files, etc. During the record process I can hear what I'm recording, and the files sound fine once I've saved. But I can't get any sound from the Preview and Edit Screen, either when I click the Preview button or when I click the button to its left, which I assume is a standard Play button. And I don't get any preview sound when I have "Automatically preview play after recording is done" checked. What's going on?

I'm a newbie, so maybe the answer is obvious?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I was going to say that the preview button sometimes doesn't produce any sound, because it's only playing the beginning and the ending of each proposed track. When this happens, it may be an indication that you've got a bit too much silence at the start and end of each track.

However, clicking the arrow to the left of the Preview button should produce sound even if there is a lot of silence at the start and end of the tracks (assuming you let it play long enough).

What version of the software do you have? The latest is v1.1 build 30 (as of this writing).

Can you hear the voice that steps you through the program? Double-click on the small volume control icon that appears on your Windows taskbar and make sure that you don't have your wave playback muted (recording and playback have separate volume / mute controls).

Greg
Lodgepole

Post by Lodgepole »

Thanks Greg. I'm using v1.1 build 30. I can't produce sound with the Preview button, and I can't get sound with the arrow to its left however long I wait. Also, I can't hear the voice that steps me through.

There is no mute control on the wave playback, but I assume playback isn't muted because I can open .wav files with Windows Media Player and get sound.

I tried repairing the Spin It Again installation, also uninstalling and reinstalling. Same results.

This is a brand-new Vista PC -- is Spin It Again having compatibility problems with Vista? I ask because I installed my copy of Spin It Again on a friend's PC running XP, and it doesn't have any of these problems. The voice speaks up loud and clear.

I put this same issue to Acoustica Support earlier today -- no reply yet. Are you an Acoustica Support person? If you are, is there any point in contacting Support directly as well as posting to this forum? Or am I talking to the same expert in either case?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You'd be talking to the same person.

In Spin It Again, click on the Settings button and look at the Playback settings. Make sure you've got your sound card's driver selected as the playback device.

Greg
Lodgepole

Post by Lodgepole »

Hi Greg -

Yes, the SigmaTel driver is selected. But could there be a problem with the driver? The computer is a Dell XPS 210 with an integrated sound card, and the current Vista driver for the card is lacking input monitoring during recording. Presumably that will be fixed, but in the meantime a support guy at Dell recommended that I use the XP driver, which supports input monitoring and seems to work fine in all ways. So that's what I'm using.

The other possibility in Playback settings is "Default Wave Device," but that doesn't work either.

One thing I notice and it seems odd: when I click Preview or the play button to its left, not only is there no sound but no time elapses on the Time counter.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Just to let general readers know what's going on, we've been going back and forth on this issue via email and we're not getting very far. Dell is getting complaints about the lack of Line In monitoring in its Sigmatel Vista sound drivers. Follow that discussion on Dell's user forum.

In regard to why Lodgepole is not getting wave audio from the preview playback or voice narration in Spin It Again... we're still looking into that and trying different things.