MIDI hi-hat?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

kr236rk

MIDI hi-hat?

Post by kr236rk »

Hello,

Is there a way to trigger a MIDI hi hat effect in MC6, like with a kick pad please?

Thanks,

Ric
bbdrmz

Re: MIDI hi-hat?

Post by bbdrmz »

There's a special hh pedal just for that function. If I remember correctly there around $50. I haven't used the Mixcraft kit in a while. If it has a closed hh sample you can try and drop it in the right spot and play with the volume to get it to blend correctly.
"I am thankful to all those who said no. It's because of them I did it myself."
Albert Einstein

Win-7
ASUS M5A99X
AMD fx-8350 eight core
32-GB DDR3 RAM
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

kr236rk wrote:Hello,

Is there a way to trigger a MIDI hi hat effect in MC6, like with a kick pad please?

Thanks,

Ric
do you mean like triggering for recording/start/stop function or mapping a midi hi-hat to work w/in Mixcraft's drum vsti's?
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

gypsy101 wrote:
kr236rk wrote:Hello,

Thanks,

Ric
do you mean like triggering for recording/start/stop function or mapping a midi hi-hat to work w/in Mixcraft's drum vsti's?
Thanks, I just mean for playing the hi hat through MC6. I have a hi hat on the Yamaha DD65 but it is like a whisper and there is no control for it - spent hours going through the manual and experimenting with settings - it's a default setting, cannot be modified. I play the DD65 through a usb FastTrack interface but line-in, I don't play it as a virtual instrument by way of the MIDI sockets (ie. direct to MixCraft by way of usb-midi cable, by-passing the interface). Possibly also it is conceivable that I could model the hi hat in MC6 if I played the DD65 through MIDI connections onto one of the MC virtual tracks instead of an audio track?

Ric
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

bbdrmz wrote:There's a special hh pedal just for that function. If I remember correctly there around $50. I haven't used the Mixcraft kit in a while. If it has a closed hh sample you can try and drop it in the right spot and play with the volume to get it to blend correctly.
Thanks, what pedal is this please - is like something that would be stocked at Musicians Friend?

R
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

kr236rk wrote:
bbdrmz wrote:There's a special hh pedal just for that function. If I remember correctly there around $50. I haven't used the Mixcraft kit in a while. If it has a closed hh sample you can try and drop it in the right spot and play with the volume to get it to blend correctly.
Thanks, what pedal is this please - is like something that would be stocked at Musicians Friend?

R
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEDMHATPEDAL
http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?q=&ca ... key=&pa=37
bbdrmz

Post by bbdrmz »

https://m.musiciansfriend.com/drums-per ... e=3SOSWXXA

Here's the one I use. The reason I chose this one is for the ability to adjust the control of when the triggers are activated. There's an "drum key" type adjuster towards the front of the pedal you may notice in the photos. If you research a bit you may find a better price.
Albert Einstein

Win-7
ASUS M5A99X
AMD fx-8350 eight core
32-GB DDR3 RAM
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Oh right, thanks, so no beater - just the pedal?

Wait a moment though, I need a trigger for the hi-hat, not a controller, although the ability to increase the hi-hat effect would be very welcome :)

Just wondered if a proper pad'n'beater would improve the performance of the hi-hat on my DD65?
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

kr236rk wrote:
Wait a moment though, I need a trigger for the hi-hat, not a controller, although the ability to increase the hi-hat effect would be very welcome :)

Just wondered if a proper pad'n'beater would improve the performance of the hi-hat on my DD65?
plain old pad is fine,a multizone pad is better,& it all depends on how you set the sensitivity.
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

gypsy101 wrote:
kr236rk wrote:

plain old pad is fine,a multizone pad is better,& it all depends on how you set the sensitivity.
Gottcha / thanks :)

So what is recommended 'best' for my needs please?
bbdrmz

Post by bbdrmz »

[quote="kr236rk"]Oh right, thanks, so no beater - just the pedal?

A hh pedal is actually a "pad". Yes any old pad will work, but not as well for hh. They are more sensitive. Here's a video I found for your product. Notice 1/2 way through where they pan to the foot pedals. One of the selling points seems to be the ability to use pedals. Note they come with the unit new.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGpSjCd ... ata_player
Albert Einstein

Win-7
ASUS M5A99X
AMD fx-8350 eight core
32-GB DDR3 RAM
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

ok,terminology 101:
pad-the part you hit but-
pedal/controller/trigger= the foot pedal,
although technically the "controller" is usually the brain -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_controller
that's what happens when keyboard players invent things... :lol:

you need any of the above which a Google search for "midi hi-hat ____" will keep turning up pedals & "brains".you need the pedal.
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

bbdrmz wrote:
kr236rk wrote:Oh right, thanks, so no beater - just the pedal?

A hh pedal is actually a "pad". Yes any old pad will work, but not as well for hh. They are more sensitive. Here's a video I found for your product. Notice 1/2 way through where they pan to the foot pedals. One of the selling points seems to be the ability to use pedals. Note they come with the unit new.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGpSjCd ... ata_player
Thanks, this is getting interesting. I already use the bass drum tower, it's great. I notice the dude in the video worked out on it several times but left the HH controller well alone for H Hat because he had configured it to a second bass drum - not very helpful :-|

But what would the HH65 pedal do for my pedal hi hat effect please - what would be the difference between using that (sound and/or tone-wise) and the minimal hi-hat 'foot button', which came with my DD65? I stopped using the pedal hi-hat effect because it is so whispery that you just can't hear it beside the bass drum or the snares for example, i'd be hoping the HH65 might improve on this?
Ric

M-Audio USB interface, MC8, MC10, Yamahas 102c analogue mixer, Windows 10 QuadCore [upgrade], USB EWI, Alesis Q25 Midi keyboard, stomp boxes, drum pads, guitars, dynamic mic, condenser mic

http://www.reverbnation.com/rickemper
kr236rk

PS Re: MIDI hi-hat?

Post by kr236rk »

well it looks like this baby might at least model the HH sound for the DD65???

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musica ... mode=model
Ric

M-Audio USB interface, MC8, MC10, Yamahas 102c analogue mixer, Windows 10 QuadCore [upgrade], USB EWI, Alesis Q25 Midi keyboard, stomp boxes, drum pads, guitars, dynamic mic, condenser mic

http://www.reverbnation.com/rickemper
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Disclaimer. I know a thing or two about drummers :lol: but little about drums and drumming, much less electronic sets or setups....... All those rigs look like they would last about two minutes with some of the guys I have worked with by the way!

The description of the HH problem sounds like a MIDI setting, low velocity on the sample or something, not (If I understand this correctly) a problem with a pedal (or "pad")

The way I understand it, the HH should have the option of open, closed, and half closed, etc. And the ability to do things such as close immediately after a hit, or vice-versa, etc. etc. I suspect the difference between an "economy" and "deluxe" pedal might be the range and precision of these controls?

Edumicate me.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page