Microphone Survey

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

djl1

Re: Microphone Survey

Post by djl1 »

I use a Rode NT2A for vocals and a Behringer C3 for recording guitar.
Here is a sunrise. Ain't that enough?

Mixcraft Recordings
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Further to my earlier post, I now have to change my findings. I was criticising the Behringer B1 condenser mic that I was using with a small Xenyx 802 mixer. Dissatisfied with what I was hearing, I bought an Audio Technica AT2035 for roughly twice the price of the B1. It sounded smoother, but I was still struggling to achieve a good vocal sound. I eventually realised it was due to the crappy preamps in the Behringer mixer, so I replaced it with a small Mackie 402VLZ4 that contained the highly rated Onyx preamps. The AT2035 now sounded much better, but still not satisfactory; it was wooly and distant. I eventually pulled the old Behringer B1 out of the drawer and was in for a shock. It sounded superb, clear, present, and sharp, so much so that I now needed a de-esser plugin to tame the sibilance.

So, in conclusion, a big thumbs-down for the overrated AT2035 (in my opinion only fit for backing vocals), and a big recommendation for the Behringer B1 at half the price.
omtayslick

Post by omtayslick »

Well.....

I've got a thing for mics. Ask my wife, LOL.

I've acquired a few in my quest for the perfect mic.
Actually I should sell off a few.

Here's the list. (don't know if I'll forget any)

SM 57
SM 81
Sennheiser 835
3- Sennheiser MD 211U
Peavey 520i
Prodipe TT1
Joly modded MXL 603
2- Joly modded Oktava MK319
2- Lauten Clarion
AEA R84
Electrovoice 257B

As far as application goes, all of them have their stregnths on different sources. But the best overall mics are the Lautens, Oktavas and the AEA. (as cost would indicate) But I have a real soft spot for the SM57. It does so many things well. I could do an album with nothing but 57's.
Tom
ecaggiani

Post by ecaggiani »

I use an Audio-Technica ATR2100 USB/XLR. It's both a USB and XLR mic. Originally, I was just using it plugged into a USB port directly on my Surface Book laptop, and it sounded great. I have since gotten a Behringer Xenyx Q820USB mixer and now plug the mic into an XLR channel on the mixer. Sounds just as good still.

Mostly I use it for vocals (singing and podcast recording) but I also use it to record my acoustic guitar with great results.

I also have a Shure SM58 (like everyone else in the world) and its dynamic range is slightly higher than the ATR2100, but it's hard to tell the difference between the two. I actually slightly prefer the ATR2100 because it seems ever so slightly hotter than the Shure, plus it has an on/off switch, which I like.
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

This is necro-posting :P .

Nevertheless...

In my workplace we have a Rode-NT2a. I compared this to a few low priced AKG LDC´s and they all were inferior for voice IMHO.
For recording percussion close-up, the Rode failed. It distorted the transients right in the head amp.
Picked up a Behringer C3 on the flea market. Hmm. Works...

I have a few small diaphragm condersers laying around but they are also no good for percussion.

Bought a Rode M3, a workhorse and good for everything. And a bargain. Better for close up percussion.

Unsurpassed up til now: my self made omni capsule mics. One boundary scan type, others for close up miking. The drawback is: they are omnis and probably no good for live setups. They end up dirt cheap and great quality for the price. They also can withstand enormous sound pressure on close up miking. Ended up installing them into my cabinets. With a loud signal source like that, pickup from external sound sources is minimal.

-helmut
C# or Bb!
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Sennheiser 835. Easily beats the over-hyped (but still good) SM58 IMO. No more boxiness :)

Currently shopping for an LDC and ribbon.
pkev

Post by pkev »

In my Mic Locker I have;

Shure Beta SM 58
AKG C1000s - Original one
Sennhauser Firebird - Dynamic about 27 years old
Studio Projects B1
SE Electronics 2200
Behringer B2
Behringer B5

Still need to get Ribbon Mic and possibly tube Mic

All decent mics to cover all purposes
Still on XP Pro, AMD Dual Core 3.6 Ghz CPU, 3GB RAM Various Internal & External Drives to handle core audio and samples. Mixcraft 8, Reaper 5, Harrison Mixbus 3.7 Mobile Recording with Korg D3200 including Hardware Compressors, EQ and Multi FX.
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

My most-used are:

Vocals:
AT2040
MXL2001 (with upgraded capacitors)
Beyer M69

Guitar cab:
Behringer C-1

Drums
Snare:
Shure SM57
Kick:
Peavey PVM580i (has defeated many challengers)
OH:
AT2020's
-Erik
TheHound

Re:

Post by TheHound »

G.Love wrote:I'm using a peavey PVi2.Sounds great.No different from shure 58,or so I'm told,for about half the price.I use it for vocals and recording my own bongos,direct to mic in. 8)
Me too and I like it better than my SM 58. It seem a bit crisper than the Shure 58. The 58 is very old and been to a lot of gigs over the years so maybe it is not a bad comparison. The only thing is, when I really get on it is distorts a bit.

I've listened to a lot of mic comparisons and there are some that are plain awful but in the range of the acceptable ones 58s seem to be a good standard. There are better mics but by the time you EQ and ad all the instruments, I don't think there are too many people who can tell what mic you are using.

I think Peavey gear is very underrated. Their bass guitars kick ass.
TheHound

Post by TheHound »

mixyguy2 wrote:Sennheiser 835. Easily beats the over-hyped (but still good) SM58 IMO. No more boxiness :)

I've used a lot of 58's live. It seems no two are exactly alike. Some are hotter than others. In live settings they really punch out the vocals male or female. They get the job done.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I'm late to the party, so I don't have the usual reverence for the "legendary brands". I'm using an AT2010 Condenser, which has the same cartridge as the AT2020, but optimized for stage. I also have an ATM510 dynamic which has a little more handling noise than I was led to believe. Not a problem when used with a stand, course. So far using these for vocals, but will probably be miking cabs and instruments later on. Also, going through a Mackie mixer as interface. And a couple cheap Karaoke backup mics I got for free, but pretty good considering the price.
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

TheHound wrote:
mixyguy2 wrote:Sennheiser 835. Easily beats the over-hyped (but still good) SM58 IMO. No more boxiness :)

I've used a lot of 58's live. It seems no two are exactly alike. Some are hotter than others. In live settings they really punch out the vocals male or female. They get the job done.
Yeah they are a great live mic for a variety of reasons. I'm totally studio though. :) And they're a good mic regardless, don't get me wrong; just overrated IMO because so many people are brainwashed about 58s right out of the gate that they're soo amazing; there isn't nearly enough objectivity about them (kind of how Pro Tools is with DAWs). There's all this "industry standard!" "classic!" nonsense going on. :roll:
TheHound

Post by TheHound »

mixyguy2 wrote:
TheHound wrote:

Yeah they are a great live mic for a variety of reasons. I'm totally studio though. :) And they're a good mic regardless, don't get me wrong; just overrated IMO because so many people are brainwashed about 58s right out of the gate that they're soo amazing; there isn't nearly enough objectivity about them (kind of how Pro Tools is with DAWs). There's all this "industry standard!" "classic!" nonsense going on. :roll:
They are the industry standard but I think the Peavey mics are better. In guitar shootouts very often the Epiphones beat the Les Paul and some Mexican Fenders beat the American ones.

What are your thoughts on PZM/Boundary mics?
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

TheHound wrote:They are the industry standard but I think the Peavey mics are better. In guitar shootouts very often the Epiphones beat the Les Paul and some Mexican Fenders beat the American ones.

What are your thoughts on PZM/Boundary mics?
Yeah I guess my point is using something because "everyone else is" is IMO a dumb reason.

Not familiar with the mics you mentioned, sorry!
starise

Post by starise »

In my mic locker:

- Shure KSM44
-Audio Technica 4033
-Sterling ST151
-AKGC3000B
-SM57
-MXL990
-MXL991
-Electrovoice C04 Cobalt
-Electro Voice ND767a

EDIT- Whoops!! I was supposed to put what I use these for. I almost never touch none of them except for the Shure KSM44. This is my go to for both vocals and acoustic work. The next most used is the AT4033. These are both exceptional mics for vocals and acoustic instruments.
Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD,Win 10 64bit, Presonus Firetube Studio
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
CbB, Studio One, Mixcraft 8 Pro, Ableton Live 10
https://soundcloud.com/starise