Open Collaboration Project, or just for fun project.

Looking to collaborate with somebody on a Mixcraft project? This the place! Please be mindful of others' privacy and be careful what you post in the public thread.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

outteh

Re: Open Collaboration Project, or just for fun project.

Post by outteh »

I would definately say yes. Have fun and show us what you got! :D
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Mrs. Late Bloomer wrote:Is this one still open for input?
Absolutely! And welcome!

Since part of the goal is to get people recording, sharing sounds and experience, tips, and so forth......
I am working on a couple things, percussion right now- Some sample hits on some of the oddities in my collection, for example some antique Chinese wood bells, and some home made stuff. I call one my "Ikea Conga." :lol: I don't know if it will fit in the song file project, but it does fit in the recording motivation part of the project! I'll likely add some more stuff too.

So yes, Record yourself playing something, anything along with the original guide tracks, and I will add whatever you offer into the project!

Let me know if you have any questions! 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
outteh

Post by outteh »

How we doin' on this little effort gang? :?:
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Thanks for the reminder nudge Tom!
As usual I started this with 5 other things on my plate, and 5 more being ignored that should take priority.
But I haven't forgotten. Working on some contributions myself, but as I said, no deadline yet. I'll get to it and hope there will be some other submissions yet as well. (Hint, Hint!)

But it does remind me, Gypsy requested an alternative method to get the backup track, so I posted a reduced quality MP3 for him and any other potential contributor to use if Drop Box doesn't work out for you.
https://soundcloud.com/mbliss01/12-bar- ... king-track

*Note that I added a metronome click lead in. It would be helpful if you would cut and paste the first bar into each track before rendering, to aid me in quickly lining up your tracks with the project. (The metronome lead in is actually 1-1/2 bars, but pasting in the first bar should work fine.)

Edit/Further update- as of 1/31

I have edited my notes slightly in the opening post of this thread, I would encourage re-reading it.

Also, good news, I have the project sorted with all the tracks submitted so far. Including the original 3 backing tracks we are at 24 tracks. A little teaser, it sounds busy but full of potential playing them all at once!

So lets get some more submissions!

Everybody, feel free to let me know if you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to ask here or PM me.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Tapper Mike

Post by Tapper Mike »

I threw a bunch of notes at it in midi form then converted the .mid to .wav
Here ya go
http://tappermike.com/mixcraft/TM-12bar.mix6
http://tappermike.com/mixcraft/bounce-04.zip
outteh

Post by outteh »

Mike, the links go to a ZTAR page and don't go anywhere - says page can't be found?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yep, linknogood.

Ok, I went back through what we have so far, once again. Totally reworked the group Mixcraft project. Again. Cleaned up my files, renamed a bunch, dumped a bunch of duplicates and started over on it. I think I have the process functioning now. 8) (I think!)

I had to make a decision, and it wasn't what I wanted. I had hoped to have it be a totally open project with all the original raw stems and the various instruments and effects as presented by the various contributors, so anyone could examine and learn from the contributors methods. But Its just too complicated and time consuming to get it all merged and functioning that way. Unless there's a trick I am overlooking or I am not thinking clearly.

Well both those are a given.......

So I rendered all the tracks from the projects submitted thus far and imported those new stems into the master project. That way, for example, Toms tracks sound like they did in Toms project, minus the main bus processing he had on his stuff.

If anyone is interested in dissecting the original projects, they are either still there in the original locations as in the links earlier in the thread, or the contributor (Or I) can re-post them at a later date if needed.

Still waiting on more contributions!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Tapper Mike

Post by Tapper Mike »

outteh wrote:Mike, the links go to a ZTAR page and don't go anywhere - says page can't be found?

Tom,
Whoops sorry about that.
http://tappermike.com//mixcraft/TM-12bar.mix6
http://tappermike.com//mixcraft/Bounce04.zip
Tapper Mike

Post by Tapper Mike »

I'm thinking of starting a few of my own and seeing where it goes. However based on my limited experience with this product I'm going to use mostly midi. Mostly midi as there may be a track I'll want to do myself in wave.

If some wants to use the acoustica instruments or third party plugins then I say I have fun with that. I'll try to do a mockup screen cast with chord charts for jammers. And maybe a pdf of the chord chart if someone wants to print it out so they can have a reference while recording.

Have to hand it to you Mark.
You put a lot of effort into this project.

Also I've been thinking about (for those interested) maybe we could divide the part work like... jammers in real life do. IE in Jazz usually the trumpet takes out the first AABA sticking to the melody then the soloist will take out the next section (jamming over the changes) and finally the melody is played again.
..Or your standard blues jam where one person handles the melody section and then the lead guitarist takes 24 measures out for the solo before the melody kicks in again.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Tapper Mike wrote:
outteh wrote:Mike, the links go to a ZTAR page and don't go anywhere - says page can't be found?
Tom,
Whoops sorry about that.
Still no go. FNF error. I'd suggest a common host like Drop Box, Google Drive, etc. Or upload the Audio files to Soundcloud or something.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Tapper Mike

Post by Tapper Mike »

Well this is frustrating.

I uploaded them and then tested the download. Three times after I fixed the url link. All three times I was able to dl

Looks like I'll have to investigate getting a drop box now.
I re uploaded and set folder and file permissions

http://tappermike.com/mixcraft/bounce04.zip

http://tappermike.com/mixcraft/TM-12Bar.mx6

-mike
Last edited by Tapper Mike on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Is the site you are using, ZTAR, a "private" site that requries membership to get to the location you are uploading to?
Tapper Mike

Post by Tapper Mike »

The site is mine, I own - http://tappermike.com
It's mostly about the ztar a guitar "Like" midi instrument that I play.
I think I've fixed the links now.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Well the good news is the links work!

The bad news is I now have a zipped .wav file and a Mixcraft project with 4 missing tracks.....

You have to upload either individual tracks, or if you desire to upload a Mixcraft project, you have to save to folder and upload the project folder.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Tapper Mike

Post by Tapper Mike »

There is just frustration in this. Thanks for sticking with me guys.

I'm uploading a fresh mixcraft zip with all included files as I type. I have to step out and do some things. Check back in and give you the url when I'm done.