Mixcraft vocal trick of the trade

Post any tips and tricks you've discovered for using Acoustica software here.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Mixcraft vocal trick of the trade

Post by Acoustica Eric »

If you have a guitar or vocal track and it just doesn't seem to sound outfront or smooth like it should, here's a long time secret from the analog days. I have found a way to do it with digital recording apps.
It's simple so don't expect some miracle knob or something.
Say your vocal track is track 6, copy it and paste into track 7 in exactly the same spot as it is in track 6. Pan one to the left and one to the right. NOW, zoom wayyyyyyyy in and move track 7's vocals ahead of track 6 vocals just a hair. Adjust to your liking.
This make the vocals very fat, huge, big, up front, etc, etc.
This used to be done on analog recordings by panning the vocal all the way to the left, adding a very short single delay and panning it all the way to the right.
Easily done as explained above when using Mixcraft.
Gman

Post by Gman »

My tip to add to this, is after you have pasted it to another track (track 7 in this case), the zooming way in and moving is difficult to achieve with accuracy. I will right click the track and click on properties and then add 15-30 ms to the offset. The result is the same that Eric describes, but a little easier to acheive and more controllable.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Yep, that's a good way to get precision out of it.
EL34

Post by EL34 »

I don't find lining up the two tracks very hard with a track marker.

I create a marker and line up the marker with the left edge of track 6 at maximum zoom.

Then I copy track 6 and paste it to track 7 and use that track marker as my line up tool. I line both of them, no offset as Eric described.

I do 75% -25% and -75 25% pans on both tracks and add 25ms delay to one or the other to get the effect that eric and G-man describe.

I do this on guitar, drum and bass tracks also.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Ctrl+Shift+Arrow!

(or just Ctrl+Arrow)
Gatecrasher

Post by Gatecrasher »

That's a cool trick. I've used it many a time and can vouch for it. However that CTRL+Arrow thing is convenient!