Importing Sound Files

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Studio 919

Importing Sound Files

Post by Studio 919 »

I need a little help from the "Mixperts" (Mixcraft Experts). :D

My mother has played piano at church over 62 years. Some time back, the Soundman at her church had her record her favorite hymns. When finished, he burned cd's. When I look at the files in Windows Explorer, I see that each song is a type .cda file. I have also save the cd to my hard drive and the files there are type .wma files. Now my question.

Can I import either the .cda or the .wma files in to Mixcraft 6 Pro Studio and attempt to mix/master them; then ultimately produce a "better sounding" cd?

Thanks in advance for the replies and information.

Barry
No matter where you go, there you are.

outteh

Re: Importing Sound Files

Post by outteh »

Yes you can import the .WMA file and put it on a track, then EQ and adjust as you need to.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Those .cda files aren't actually audio files, they are kind of like little flags for actual audio, which is in wav format. You need to "rip" the CD to extract the audio, and you can do that with Windows Media Player, iTunes and other similar programs. Once the songs have been ripped as wav files or mp3 files or WMA files, you can load them into Mixcraft.

Greg
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Thanks Tom, that's what I was hoping to hear.

I thought I would try this and see how it turns out. I also have pictures of her playing. I may even attempt to insert some of them into a video track. Hopefully, this will turn out to be a nice keepsake.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Barry

Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Acoustica Greg,

Thanks for the information and the quick response.

I noticed that the cd that we got from the "Soundman" contains .cda files. I used this cd to upload the songs on the hard drive of my work computer. When I look at them they are .wma files.
Hopefully, I can just import them to MC.

Thanks again for the responses.

Barry

gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

You need to "rip" the CD to extract the audio, and you can do that with Windows Media Player, iTunes and other similar programs. Once the songs have been ripped as wav files or mp3 files or WMA files, you can load them into Mixcraft.

Greg
THIS. :wink:
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Hi what if you rip the 💿 and MC is still not recognizing the songs I’m trying to import?
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

First, ripping a CD means extracting the individual tracks as individual playable audio files. It doesn't mean creating an image of the disk or extracting CD ready files. An image or raw cda file is not a recognizable playable file .

The ripping program should have file format options to rip the tracks from the CD as MP3, OGG, WAV, etc. . Best to rip them as .wav as that is pretty much raw PCM that almost any audio program can read and playback.

If it still doesn't work after having ripped the tracks to .wav files, your ripping program might be doing something unconventional. Check the settings and make sure it is extracting to .wav (PCM) 16 bit 44,100 Hz (44.1 kHz) files .
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Who doesn't love an almost 10 year old zombie thread?!?!?!?

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Truckload.jpg
Truckload.jpg (47.65 KiB) Viewed 68911 times
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page