kontakt5

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

martijn

kontakt5

Post by martijn »

Hi guys,
I'm using kontakt5 with mixcraft. What now happens is that I can play the instrument (in this case violins) and I hear all notes I play. But when I record it, I don't hear all the notes I play... however, the midi notes are recorded, they just aren't played back. The same when I play along with previous recorded midi instruments, I don't hear all the notes I play. Anyone knows what's going on and how to fix this problem?

Bye,
Martijn
chibear

Re: kontakt5

Post by chibear »

Hi,

If I understand right, you hear all the notes when you play all the notes in Kontakt Stand Alone, but when trying to use Kontakt as a VSTi in Mixcraft you are not hearing the notes even though they appear on the piano toll. correct??

I would suggest you check the note-on velocity of the notes in the piano roll you don't hear and see if the values are far below those you do. If this is the case you can edit them in the piano roll and the sound will work.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
davefk

Post by davefk »

martijn

Please try this:

1: Highlight all the midi notes in your section
2: Right click and choose 'Note MIDI Channel'
3: Make sure all the notes are set to Channel 1

It may be that the notes are being recorded to another midi channel than 1:

Let me know if this works :-)
Attachments
Note Channel.jpg
Note Channel.jpg (374.4 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
chibear

Post by chibear »

Just curious. I'm still relatively new to MIDI programming. How would that happen unless he manually reconfigures the hardware to do that?
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
davefk

Post by davefk »

chibear wrote:
Just curious. I'm still relatively new to MIDI programming. How would that happen unless he manually reconfigures the hardware to do that?
As you say his hardware may be putting out a different midi channel when recording. Its just an idea to see if he can hear the notes if he makes the change I outlined.
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Hi everyone...
I have a similar problem... but first
Clyde, I don't think you are describing his problem. He does not have an issue with stand alone kontakt. It is when he is using it as a VST in Mixcraft.

Now my problem
I have an existing MIDI file. I put that on an instrument track and give it an instance of Kontakt. I select my Kontakt instrument. When I play my MIDI keyboard, I can hear the instrument. When I use my mouse and click on the notes on the virtual keyboard on the bottom of Kontakt, I hear the instrument. If I go into notation view and slide one of the notes up or down, I hear it.
BUT... If I go to piano roll and slide a note up and down, I don't hear it but I hear it if I click on the piano notes way over on the left, I don't hear it.
And finally, when I tell Mixcraft to play the MIDI track, NOTHING comes out.

BUTTTT if I select, say Orchestra Strings instead of Kontakt, it plays fine

What gives?

THanks
Pierre
chibear

Post by chibear »

can you post the MIDI file so we can play with it?
Soundcloud YouTube
davefk

Post by davefk »

clavguy wrote:Hi everyone...
I have a similar problem... but first
Clyde, I don't think you are describing his problem. He does not have an issue with stand alone kontakt. It is when he is using it as a VST in Mixcraft.

Now my problem
I have an existing MIDI file. I put that on an instrument track and give it an instance of Kontakt. I select my Kontakt instrument. When I play my MIDI keyboard, I can hear the instrument. When I use my mouse and click on the notes on the virtual keyboard on the bottom of Kontakt, I hear the instrument. If I go into notation view and slide one of the notes up or down, I hear it.
BUT... If I go to piano roll and slide a note up and down, I don't hear it but I hear it if I click on the piano notes way over on the left, I don't hear it.
And finally, when I tell Mixcraft to play the MIDI track, NOTHING comes out.

BUTTTT if I select, say Orchestra Strings instead of Kontakt, it plays fine

What gives?

THanks
Pierre
Pierre

Change the midi channel (Midi Ch) of the instrument you have loaded into Kontakt to 'omni', play the midi file, and see if that works for you. Dave
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

chibear wrote:can you post the MIDI file so we can play with it?
Will do tonight when I get home
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Ditto to what davefk said. All my Kontakt instruments load to a default midi channel 1. Another thing that happens on my favorite Kontakt instrument ( Rickenbacher Bass ) is it only plays about half the notes, so you can try what I do. When you load Kontakt there is a Transpose box that should be default at 0, set that to 12 ( +12 ) and see if this helps all the notes play. I cannot tell you why but it works for me.