MC7 Control Surface Set Up

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Studio 919

MC7 Control Surface Set Up

Post by Studio 919 »

Hey Y'all,

I upgraded to MC7 Pro (64 bit) yesterday. Today I'm trying to configure my ZOOM R16 to function as a control surface. I have successfully set up the transport functions and they work properly. But, I am not able to configure the faders on the ZOOM to operate the track volume in MC.

I have checked and I already have the current ZOOM driver.

Any ideas and/or suggestions will be appreciated.

Barry
No matter where you go, there you are.

outteh

Re: MC7 Control Surface Set Up

Post by outteh »

Go to MIX, MIDI Control Surfaces and you'll see a dialog box to set up the track functions with.
ontrolSurface Details.jpg
ontrolSurface Details.jpg (62.88 KiB) Viewed 6413 times
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Thanks for the quick response Tom.

I've done all of that. It worked for the transport functions (play, stop, etc.) but I can't seem to assign the faders on the ZOOM so that they work in MC. I've got to be missing something.

Barry

outteh

Post by outteh »

Does the MIDI learn function work when you move a slider on the control? In other words does it register in the dialog box?
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Moving a fader on the ZOOM has no effect on the fader in MC and it does nothing within the dialog box. On the other hand, when I set up the play, stop, and a few other transport functions it worked perfectly. :?:

outteh

Post by outteh »

In the dialog box select Track 1, Volume. Then hit MIDI learn and move one of your faders/sliders. Any luck?
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Nope. Nothing happens at all. In fact, when I go through these steps, and then move the fader on the ZOOM, it's as if MC does not see the fact that I'm moving it.

outteh

Post by outteh »

Saw this in your manual:

To use the R16 as an audio interface for DAW
software (for example, Cubase LE 4) it is
necessary to install the ZOOM R16 USB audio
driver. Install it correctly according the included
installation guide.
• Please download the latest version of the ZOOM
R16 USB audio driver from our home page, http://
www.zoom.co.jp.
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

I've got the latest driver installed.

I just don't know what else to do in order to get the faders to work.

Again, transport works fine.

outteh

Post by outteh »

Here's a link to your manual for how to setup your device to act as a control surface:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... o7m5Uk2IEw
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Thanks Tom.

Actually, I have already used the ZOOM R16 as a control surface when I was trying to learn Reaper. Of course, I decided to change from Reaper to Mixcraft Pro when version 6 was introduced. I knew when I decided on MC that it did not support control surfaces so I just used the ZOOM as my audio interface.

Then, when talk of version 7 started up, I hoped that better control surface support would be included in version 7. The Acoustica guys seem to have done a great job in the new version. That's why I think "I must be missing something". But, I don't know what else to try.

Thanks again for all your time and effort on this. Hopefully, one of the Acoustica folks will have some advice for me and others who use the ZOOM R8, R16 or the R24.

Barry

outteh

Post by outteh »

Try this. In Mixcraft, Preferences, Control Surfaces, under Type select the Mackie Control. This is supposedly a universal control mapper. Then in the input and output dropdowns select your Zoom R 16, if you are connected by USB. If you are connected by MIDI, select the MIDI input/output device.

Now experiment and see if any of the faders/sliders work volume, panning, etc. You can now probably use MIDI learn to remap also.

Again, pulling at straws here but maybe? You could also try some of the other other control devices and see if they map differently.

I discovered this by selecting the Mackie Control and mapping my M-Audio Key Rig 49 which only has two wheels and a slider and it actually controlled volume and panning on a track.
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Hey Tom,

I did that last night. (Went to Preferences and selected Control Surface. Then selected Mackie Control.) I thought this setting was for the Mackie Control Universal control surface and not for other devices (like ZOOM) that utilize Mackie emulation protocol.

Anyway, it worked to some degree. The ZOOM R16 has 16 track playback capability. There are two buttons on the ZOOM that allow me to select the bank for tracks 1 - 8; or tracks 9 - 16. If I have it selected for tracks 1 - 8, the faders do actually control the faders within the MC Mixer. The Master fader on the R16 also controls the master fader within the MC Mixer. So far, so good.

But, when I select the bank for tracks 9 - 16, the faders seem to go a little crazy.

I'll test this more today and report back on this thread.

Barry

outteh

Post by outteh »

Glad there is some progress. Some of the other generic control surfaces may work with yours also. :D

Also check the #faders in Mixcraft to match what you have.
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Hey Doodad, just wondering if you have made any progress with the Zoom R16? I can get it to control the faders for 1 thru 8 tracks plus the master and control the basic transport functions, but I can not get it to control the F1 thru F5 buttons. I have it in Mackie control mode( and have tried every of mode) and have have tried Midi learn to no success. The play/mute/rec buttons above the faders seem to act differently on different projects. On one project they control mute/ unmute and the next they solo/unsolo. Just wondering if you have any ideas?