"If I Didn't Care" semi-open collaboration project

Looking to collaborate with somebody on a Mixcraft project? This the place! Please be mindful of others' privacy and be careful what you post in the public thread.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

outteh

Re: "If I Didn't Care" semi-open collaboration project

Post by outteh »

Great addition Markus, well played! :D
outteh

Post by outteh »

Mark Bliss wrote:
Just my "ambitious" take of course.
Oh stop, it wasn't a criticism. Ya gotta know I would have never said that if I didn't think you knew where I was coming from after all this time. (Measured in years now.)

What I meant about the existing guitar is that it might be hard to work in anything very drum related. Hard fit unless some big changes were made.

I had a feeling a simple mandolin track might compliment.
It may be just my tastes, but going in an acoustic/Americana/hint of country direction would suite the song quite well. How do you feel about that?
Just teasing Mark! :lol: All is well! You know I'm an instigator! :P
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

I thought I just posted to the thread but it disappeared. Let me try again.

There are some great brush loops under the Hawaiian (!) category in Mixcraft, search for 'brush'. Almost all of them work perfectly, but a few need notes chopped off, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to edit the loops. When I repeat them, the original unedited loop repeats. I've always had this problem with Mixcraft. Can someone point to a tutorial? I haven't spent much time researching yet, I have to get some sleep, I've only had couple hours in the last two days :( so am feeling lazy. Some links would be great.

I think since I can hear the rhythm best in my head, I'd like to give percussion a shot using this set of loops, and see if it works.

Anybody else hear oompah horns mirroring the bass here and there? A la : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4A6j2nXHCU

It would have to be realistic, occassional, and subtle. Would take some effort. Just a thought.

Ukelele? I don't want to overdo things, but a touch more here and there will finish this thing off.

Um, and there's just a little room for something in the 'solo' section, something to contrast with the guitar.

Your turns.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

freightgod wrote:
Ukelele? I don't want to overdo things, but a touch more here and there will finish this thing off.

Um, and there's just a little room for something in the 'solo' section, something to contrast with the guitar.

Your turns.
Sounds like a ukelele to me with a piano and then tuba and added trombones. I believe I also heard an Italian style mandolin.

P.S. Were the vocals sung with a metronome?
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Yes initial vocal and rhythm were done to metronome, but there is syncopation going on so...
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

freightgod wrote:Yes initial vocal and rhythm were done to metronome, but there is syncopation going on so...
I tapped out the vocal and estimated 114 BPM before I did the percussion. I think I heard last night for the first time what everyone has been hearing all along...lol.
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Well it's definitely 120!

I have done 1 or 2 free floaters in the past but love editing too much, almost always force myself to a click because it makes life sooo much easier. The challenge is to learn to play to a click track but make it sound spontaneous. That's why rarely quantize midi tracks. I'd rather spend hours nudging notes.

With a project like this, once it's started, it's almost impossible to redo the basic rhythm, or even the vocal, I know I tried.

Going back to the bass track for a while, there's a couple spots where it draws attention to itself, want to smooth them out.

Almost time to learn about individual track treatment. I would like someone to step up to a proper eq and leveling of the basic rhythm, and try to talk us through you process. I'm going to do a little comping on the lead vocal, then would like to treat that. Backing vocals next, then markus guitar, then...

Guys, I'm trying to leave the hole I hear in the instrumental break until last. Go ahead and try stuff, but I have a feeling that will be the last touch.

What I hear room for yet is subtle strings, brush percussion (let me try) and possibly another harmony
Also horns in parts, and strummed mandolin or use on the chorus. Sounds like a lot, but my inner George Martin is going there, lol.

After all this, we'll move to track balance and placement. No reason we can't all have a hand at all of these final stages, there are so many approaches and points of view. When we do reach these technical stages of audio engineering, I guarantee we will all learn a ton.

One thing that I will ask in advance is that when we reach the track treatment and mixing stages, everyone makes an effort to articulate their thinking or lack thereof as much as possible. After tracking is done or almost so, I suggest we start a new thread for that part of the project.
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Tightened up the bass, pushed rhythm to back a bit.

https://soundcloud.com/if-i-didntcare/0 ... didnt-care
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

freightgod wrote:Well it's definitely 120!
That's why rarely quantize midi tracks. I'd rather spend hours nudging notes.

Guys, I'm trying to leave the hole I hear in the instrumental break until last. Go ahead and try stuff, but I have a feeling that will be the last touch.
Same here. I was trying out some subtle strings earlier today. What file do I use to try them out? Is it the *.mx7? BTW I'm getting little nag screens about "Instrument not found..." and have been apprehensive about changing those files. -HR
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Hmmm yes please don't Change any files yet. That's odd because there's only one virtual instrument track. Yes, work with the mx7 file. Don't forget to move the entire PROJECT FILES folder into the WORK IN PROGRESS folder first so noone else will be able to open the file at the same time. Try not to wipe out too many tracks while you're in there, lol.

Welcome CRAZY6STRINGS to the looney bin! He's got some virtual horns he's gonna drop in.
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Cleaned up the vocals a bit with my usual method, split split split, mute dead air and background noise. I'm usually careful to leave breaths in. Accented the occasional lick in the rhythm, but mostly muted it in the solo, to leave room for what's to come.

https://soundcloud.com/if-i-didntcare/0 ... didnt-care

Aaron, I dunno, sounds pretty good to me!

AHornsby, you really get an error message when loading the .mx7 file? That's strange, everything should be there for you.

Just so all know, when I put a new working mix on Soundcloud, I've also backed up the Dropbox folder locally just in case, so don't have too much fear. Sooner or later someone will hit the delete key by accident, I'm sure. Probably me!
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Well, I hear too much in my head, Robert (crazy6strings) gave a go at some trumpet at my request, but it doesn't work. Trying some brushes, please listen (would greatly simplify):
https://soundcloud.com/if-i-didntcare/b ... um-example
There's some great brush loops in Mixcraft that I am hacking up and cutting and pasting just to try out.

I find it very frustrating working with loops in Mixcraft. I'll drop one in, and try to edit it within Mixcraft because I need to lose a drum hit here and there. But when I hit the + the original unedited loop repeats, doesn't reflect the edit I did. Very frustrating for me, so I just take the loops out to an external editor and chop them up there, then drag them in and manually align them. It works, but seems like there should be an easier way.

Still need something, but I don't want to clutter the mix up much.

Comments on the percussion? Keep in mind it's just a try.
outteh

Post by outteh »

I think the percussion will work. Just a suggestion though. In the quiet parts between verse, keep it quiet, no drums. Just use the brushes to accent the beat during the sung portions of the song. Also a little ride cymbal hit would be nice occasionally to accent an upbeat. Just some thoughts. :D
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

outteh wrote:I think the percussion will work. Just a suggestion though. In the quiet parts between verse, keep it quiet, no drums. Just use the brushes to accent the beat during the sung portions of the song. Also a little ride cymbal hit would be nice occasionally to accent an upbeat. Just some thoughts. :D
Yes, yes, yes, exactly! I'm going to keep it very simple. Those loops are really great, I am dissapointed in the brush vsts within Mixcraft, or I don't know how to play them well on keyboard.

I'm working on some ocarina and accordian, it really fills out the song. It's almost there. I really have a feeling 6strings is gonna come up with something fun for the solo.