"If I Didn't Care" semi-open collaboration project

Looking to collaborate with somebody on a Mixcraft project? This the place! Please be mindful of others' privacy and be careful what you post in the public thread.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

freightgod

Re: "If I Didn't Care" semi-open collaboration project

Post by freightgod »

Group members should have gotten an email. Don't tell Mark what I said about him :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/if-i-didntcare/0 ... didnt-care

Getting close, I'm super happy, thanks everyone! Gonna go take a beer break. It's hard to believe it's only been five days since we started!

-I copied the brush loops with a couple quick edits into the Dropbox folder, if anyone wants to work with them.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

outteh wrote:I think the percussion will work. Just a suggestion though. In the quiet parts between verse, keep it quiet, no drums. Just use the brushes to accent the beat during the sung portions of the song. Also a little ride cymbal hit would be nice occasionally to accent an upbeat. Just some thoughts. :D
Ringo is never around when you really need him!
outteh

Post by outteh »

Added a mandolin lead. Let me know?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Don't tell Mark what I said about him :lol:
I'm right here. I can hear you! :lol:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Is there a prize for the longest thread?

I think I almost have this song memorized. I'm tempted to leave the 'one potato' count in when we're done, I'm going to miss it :wink:

I messed with the mandolin a bit, hope you don't mind, Tom. Good job, you really got the feel of the real thing. I think it blends in great and sounds pretty convincing.

How about that tuba solo? I love it! Totally unexpected, but I think it really works. I didn't touch it a bit, Robert!

I might put a touch of mandolin on the last verse, to tie it all together. Maybe fly in a bit of the tuba at the very end.

Tomorrow I'll hit the brushes. Comments, please! I think this is really coming together.
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

OK, as executive producer I declare tracking complete. Well, except for drums, which I'll work on tonight. But I am satisfied with the arrangement, and did extensive noise cleanup on all the tracks.

I can be convinced to change something arrangement wise. But I think it's time to move on to track treatment and mixdown. OK, after drums, which I'll get to tonight or Friday.

freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Ah, well, of course I'm not done, I have to fix a few sibilants and croakers in the lead vocal, do drums, and want to try one more vocal harmony part I think will work. I am going to try to concentrate on those things this weekend, in between watching the Seahawks crush the Deflatriots in the Super Bowl :o

But I want to outline where I think this project is going next:

a) I'll take a crack at my rough mix, and save that version of the project locally. I will explain what I did and why as exhaustively as I can. I think I'll start a new discussion thread at that point.

b) Anybody at all who's interested can take a crack at their mix in a 'round robin' style, Tom's indicated he's ready when I am, so let's let him do the same, and then whoever has the time or interest can step up next.

c) Eventually, when I settle on a mix I'm happy with, and that better ears than mine finds listenable, we can do the same with mastering, if there's enough interest remaining by that time :roll: I'll start a mastering discussion thread and we can go 'round again.

Now, the mastering phase could be really fun because I'm going to take this mix to a professional mastering engineer, who shall remain nameless, and we can compare his results with ours, and talk about that, too. If, we're not all in assisted living facilities by then...

Thanks, guys, this has been one of the biggest thrills of my life. This song ain't gonna set the world on fire, but I think we've learned a ton already about collaborating like this, technically and artistically. I know I have.
mick

Post by mick »

This song ain't gonna set the world on fire
This part of your last comment suggests you are beating yourself up over what i personally think is a superior listening experience, (compared to all the garbage currently available) I quite like this song and greatly respect what you collaborator guys are achieving with it. I'm not an expert on anything, (not even vintage cheeses :lol: ) I'm talking from a listener point of view and on this basis I think its gonna be a well polished composition!
Got to go now I feel a bit of envy sneaking up. :evil:
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Hey, thanks, Mick. I mean, I realize my lyrics aren't up to Niki Minaj standards or anything... :x

Just to rant a bit...I know you can feel my cringe when you read this article. I don't know why I click on stuff like this. Paul McCartney, for shame!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rihanna-dro ... mccartney/

I mean, just try to read these lyrics with a straight face:

"I think I've had enough, I might get a little drunk/I say what's on my mind, I might do a little time/Cause all of my kindness, is taken for weakness."

"Woke up an optimist, sun was shining I'm positive/Then I heard you was talkin' trash/Hold me back I'm bout' to spaz"

Dear Lord.
Last edited by freightgod on Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
mick

Post by mick »

Mc Cartney lost it when John Lennon was shot down :?
My favorite line has has to be "the pump don't work cos' the vandals took the handle" - Bob Dylan.
And for a masterclass in song writing can Cole Porter please step forward. (or maybe not now).
By the way, I'm Mick not Nik :lol: No problem.
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

I said Mick not Nik. You must be imagining things :wink: Nah, Paul's still got it on occasion, I give him credit for hangin' with the kids, I just don't know why he bothers.
outteh

Post by outteh »

mick wrote:This song ain't gonna set the world on fire
This part of your last comment suggests you are beating yourself up over what i personally think is a superior listening experience, (compared to all the garbage currently available) I quite like this song and greatly respect what you collaborator guys are achieving with it. I'm not an expert on anything, (not even vintage cheeses :lol: ) I'm talking from a listener point of view and on this basis I think its gonna be a well polished composition!
Got to go now I feel a bit of envy sneaking up. :evil:
Very nice of you to comment Mick! I agree the song is unique and quite musical, in my opinion. I think we will do it justice in the end. Keep following! :D
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

I think I decluttered the instrumental break to highlight the tuba. Almost there.

1:48 or so if you know how the song goes :roll:
outteh

Post by outteh »

Very nice. Is it me or is the Tuba off pitch a tad on the rundown to the lower notes?
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

outteh wrote:Very nice. Is it me or is the Tuba off pitch a tad on the rundown to the lower notes?
I think it's just you. Well, if it is off a bit, I think it's the nature of the tuba sample Crazy6Strings used, but I think it sounds natural in this case. I'll bet tuba is one of the most challenging instruments with which to obtain perfect non-drifting pitch.