"If I Didn't Care" - yeth, mathter...

Looking to collaborate with somebody on a Mixcraft project? This the place! Please be mindful of others' privacy and be careful what you post in the public thread.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

freightgod

"If I Didn't Care" - yeth, mathter...

Post by freightgod »

Well, I grew a pair or three :shock: and have sent a final mix off to my choice of professional mastering engineer. This will be the first recording I've taken to that stage professionally and am eager to hear what all the fuss is about 8)

In the meantime, this project is still open to anyone who would like to take a serious crack at mastering it for CD Quality, or better, your choice. This could be a great opportunity to debate and discuss the entire mastering process, so why not jump in? If you want hands-on access to the Project Folder, please PM me.

https://soundcloud.com/if-i-didntcare/i ... -premaster

P.S. Final mix my asterisk, probably. I told my guy I'm still willing to tweak if it's easier to do in the mix. You guys don't get the same privilege, however!
freightgod

Re: "If I Didn't Care" - yeth, mathter...

Post by freightgod »

Okay, challenge is off! LOL if this were reality and $ was on the line I'd expect to have had a response by now. Yeah, this isn't reality, buuut. Obviously everybody's bored to death with this subject, and I've let my mastering guy know that I look forward to sharing his efforts with at least the active participants. And Mark, too, of course :roll:

When this is overz I'm going to post something in the User Showcase subforum, summarizing lessons learned and playing some A-B comparison tracks, I think that will be cool.

Anyway, got to go shave to get ready for the Grammy's! 2027...the Geriatric Awards...

have been contacted by old fart...thread resurrected
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Yo, I know I'm deaf, but...lol I haven't heard anything, so... :) Friday is "singles day" at the studio, so I can sit around in Mixcraft waiting for tweak requests if they come. I like this guy's style, very communicative. Mostly it comes out, 'chill, dude, I got this' ... lol So another lesson or two may be learned about the online collaborative process. Gonna be fun to tie all these posts together in a summary when I get to share the final result.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

And Mark, too, of course :roll:
I'm right here! And I can hear you! 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

So anyway, after the mastering, I'm going to try and keep this alive and maybe even pass it off to someone willing to take on the Music Video stage within Mixcraft as well? Want a theme? Okay, I'm going to release this under "If I Didn't Care (the Forum Mods' Theme Song) by Paul Fisher and the Collaborators...think about this song mimed to or mocking some of our favorite forum moderators??? I think it would be fun.
outteh

Post by outteh »

I'm still working on it! Still under the weather and it's hard to concentrate or devote the time. Looking forward to hearing the mastered version from the outsourced mastering house. I'm interested in what they apply to the sound! :D

Posted a master to drop box.
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Ha, Tom, I was just busting chops, wow I didn't realize you were still sick! Good of you to post something, you'll get another crack at it, too.

Okay, on first listen, first impression, nice widening of the soundstage but at the expense of anything standing out in the center. I'm just guessing but I wouldn't expect my guy to add any reverb at all. The further in one listen the less the 'effect' sticks out, but it's not very transparent. What did you apply? Good leveling of dynamics, I think.

https://soundcloud.com/if-i-didntcare/i ... -the-first
Last edited by freightgod on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Used the Isotope Mastering vst. Was just trying get the volume and dynamics up to a commercial
level. The reverb or sound stage was a preset and to be honest I didn't pay much attention to it. There are other tools that can be used but the overall mix was pretty good so this doesn't need much to master it.

P.S. Link doesn't work.
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Update: so I was told there was an intermittent but prominent buzzing going on that would have to be dealt with...after a lot of good communication and guidance I was able to pin it on the rhythm guitar track, it is quite noisy. It was a lazy effort to get the rhythm and I just left it. My Seymour Duncan pickup is great but picks up a lot of strays. So, in lieu of track treatment, best option is to rerecord the rhythm, which, what the hell, let's see if I can do a better job :)

I'm going to really practice today and try to pin it down without effects in one or two splices.

Wish me luck, I don't play with a pick, and....I should video my hands when I do takes.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Link to Toms mastering effort is still dead.

Recording acoustic guitar can be notoriously difficult no matter the method. Direct in from various pickups, mic'd amp, directly mic'd guitar, each has its own set of problems. But you might try a combination, mixed together. Mental note: Many top end acoustic guitar pickups combine a magnetic pickup or piezo, and a mic of some type. And another point: most acoustic guitar pickups are intended to take advantage of the natural blend in a playing space, of the natural acoustic guitar sound and the boost of an amp. Not really just the pickup/amp. And used for direct recording, they often don't sound very good.
I lean toward direct mic'd if possible. But you need a quiet and treated space which is challenging for most, mic positioning experimentation can take some time to get right, and even then, some serious butchering with an EQ is often necessary to make it fit in a mix.
In the last version I heard, the guitar track had been relegated to a low level, just peeking through in spots right? If so I would try a drastic mid scoop with some high end peaking out and a little low/mid rhythm to suit. Don't worry how it sounds soloed, (When you get it right it will likely sound like you ruined it :o ) Focus instead on how it sounds in the context of the song.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Oops on the link, hope this one works:

And I am comping a retake, I think it's prettier, however will leave original in place treated as you suggest and treat it as an option, I'll possibly share both versions. We'll see.

Am rereading your post for breakfast, Mark :) Thanks.

And I still think we should film this spoofing our favorite forum mods and what they must be thinking when they read the same brilliant questions all the time...I think that would be a fun, easy video to put together. It can be shot collaboratively...why not? Everything needs a gimmick.
Last edited by freightgod on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

When I get this done, and with permission, I will share some of the communications I've had with Mystery Mastery Man...I've found the whole process very educational.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Link still broke. Did you make it public?
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

outteh wrote:Link still broke. Did you make it public?
oh. :oops:

freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Direct mike is not an option here :) It's 20 below and I'd have to stop the furnace and space heater, soooo....the retake is going well, another couple hours of comping...