Need a Country Picker

Looking to collaborate with somebody on a Mixcraft project? This the place! Please be mindful of others' privacy and be careful what you post in the public thread.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

Vinyard

Need a Country Picker

Post by Vinyard »

Anybody available to help me fill in some pickin on my country song?

It's an upbeat country tune. Would sure sound great with a little Albert Lee on it.

Let me know if anyone is still alive in here. lol
outteh

Re: Need a Country Picker

Post by outteh »

Let's hear a little sample to see what we would be needing to do! :D
Vinyard

Post by Vinyard »

Thanks for the response Outeh,

I wrote this song about 10 years ago and it's sat for awhile.
I recently received Mixcraft as a birthday present and have really enjoyed digging into the features and such.
A LOT to learn. My first DAW.

I play guitar myself, so I've added pretty much what I can to the song.
But I'm no real lead player. Especially country style, which is what this song needs.
It will be obvious from the intro. Some of the other fill ins came out okay. But a 'real'
picker would be able to dress it up and make it more legit.

Here is a link to the song

https://soundcloud.com/mixcrft9819/phil ... vin-a-ball
outteh

Post by outteh »

You underestimate yourself. This is a great tune and your lead playing is not bad. I think if you play with the tone of it a bit, make it a bit more high pitched, scratchin country it works very well. I don't think I could do much better maybe someone else has a shot? I could try and throw in something but I'm not sure it would be a whole lot different. You can hear some of my work on my Soundcloud link. :D 8)
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I have to agree with Tom, some tweeks to the guitar tone and the mix in general, and it might be fine.

Its not bad. Mostly sounds "unfinished" to me. IE: Guitar track sounds a little "raw". Its hard to know your "vision" for the song, but I think its a mistake to make the focus the guitar. Remind yourself, this type of song is about the story, lyric and therefore vocal track......

Theres times when the rhythm guitar is a touch loud in the mix, then there's a piano part that could be pushed up a little, etc. Once better balanced, perhaps some further work on EQ (on the individual tracks and overall?), judicious application of some reverb maybe.

A bunch of little tweaks might be just the thing to give the mix some more life.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Vinyard

Post by Vinyard »

Thanks for the input guys.
Definitely need to mix it better. I actually have some of the automation applied,
but it seems that when I had it created the MP3 file, it didn't apply automation or dynamics.
But, still learning the software. I'm sure there is a mixing step that I haven't learned yet.
outteh

Post by outteh »

What are your mixing settings? 44100' 16 or 24 bit usually keeps out the mixdown issues. If you mixdown to .wav is it OK then?