Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mixyguy2

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by mixyguy2 »

A minor one I thought of but would be much appreciated for a pluginaholic like me:

When I add a new plugin, is it possible to not have to re-scan ALL of my directories just to get it to show up? I so wish there was a way that one thing could be added quickly.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

wpostma wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:50 am I do wish the track colors changed the entire area around the track instead of just a tiny little 4 pixel area on the left side of the track:
?? On mine it highlights with a line above and below the track, although granted it is quite thin. It would be nice if it was a bit thicker, or the color bar to the far left was a bit fatter.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

mixyguy2 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:02 pm A minor one I thought of but would be much appreciated for a pluginaholic like me:

When I add a new plugin, is it possible to not have to re-scan ALL of my directories just to get it to show up? I so wish there was a way that one thing could be added quickly.
Did you know if you drag the VST or VST3 from a folder onto mixcraft that it will automatically add it right there and then?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

You shouldn't even have to do that with VST3 plugins, since they are all supposed to go into the same folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

One of the perks of VST3 - no confusion about which VST folder the file should be in.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Will Mixcraft 10 retain the V9 sample library?
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Yes.
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

Don't disown me for saying this here.... but How about Mixcraft 10 for MAC and Windows!!! (M1/M2 Ventura even)....
I know, crazy talk..... :shock:
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

GregRBand wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:38 pm Don't disown me for saying this here.... but How about Mixcraft 10 for MAC and Windows!!! (M1/M2 Ventura even)....
I know, crazy talk..... :shock:
If Tracktion Team can do it for Waveform, I know Mixcraft Team can!!! One of the few only reasons I keep my old PC is not wanting to completely part with Mixcraft. MCPro is Such a good program.. fun... and easy to figure out too!!! Would be amazing ! ! !

I tried demo running Parallels on mac with trial of windows and it loaded Mixcraft, but it seemed slightly clunky to me, not to mention the drive space it started taking up with its "containers" to run... and the keep and purchase price for admission was way too high for just mixcraft and a few other windows only things I use here and there....
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We don’t currently have any plans to make a Mac version of Mixcraft.

Greg
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:22 pm Hi,

We don’t currently have any plans to make a Mac version of Mixcraft.

Greg
Hey there Greg, long time buddy. Hope you and Team have survived all that has been last handful of years I've been away here.

Scratch that silly Mac idea I mentioned. I'm typing here now from my Win 10 machine that I'm back to using and the Mac Mini is boxed up and for sale! ! ! !
Its so fun to be back on Windows and able to launch Mixcraft :) Seriously ! ! !
I'm going to grab a good (aka cheap) deal on an SSD drive card soon, maybe double my ram from 16 to 32 if I can and call it good for a few years.

Very much looking forward to being back (and sharing Mixcraft ramblings with my Cousin who produces his own songs with it too). Mixcraft Pro 10 will be amazing/inspiring as always I'm sure!

I may wander off to Ableton/Reason land from time to time, but I'm back to loving Mixcraft regardless. Had so much fun the other day trying the "performance" section again. I had actually forgotten that it was there!!! GASP, sorry for honesty!!! Just been away for too long.
Thanks for such a wonderful product that keeps getting better and better Acoustica Team!
Sturdy

Post by Sturdy »

Newly available (and powerful) noise reduction algorithms often need a clean sample of isolated noise to "learn" the noise profile. I use Acon Digital's noise reduction tools, and I understand Izotope's RX10 is similar. I'm finding the tools to be very strong in reducing pickup hum in both electric guitars and basses in particular, but is really good for lots of stuff.

The problem I run into when songwriting is there's often no quiet lead time or quiet time within clip for most of the clips I record, so there's not a good way to train the noise reduction algorithms unless I make all my loops longer than they need to be to accommodate the noise profile in the period before or after the musical part. It's just really hard to work in mixcraft this way with all the clips being too long, and it completely throws off the vibe of recording looping parts if we throw in a couple bars of extra silence every time a take loops through.

Suggestion: It would be great if mixcraft somehow recorded the a noise profile in the few seconds of quiet period of the metronome countdown while waiting for the punch-in and associate that with the recorded audio from that series of takes. I'm really not clear how it would work best for workflow, but it would be great for noise reduction purposes if that same noise profile could be associated with all clips from the same take. The noise period should probably be an even bar length for easy alignment/trimming.

Here's what I normally do:
- take an audio clip in Mixcraft of DI recorded guitar/bass (this is just dry guitar or bass DI, no processing done on it)
- from within Mixcraft I select to edit in external editor - in my case Acon Digital's Acoustica.
- from there I select their denoising tools that seem to work best when trained on a clean period of uninterrupted background noise in the audio clip (several seconds worth).
- apply the learned noise profile to remove that type of noise from the entire clip.
- the results are almost like magic to me. The pickup hum can be almost completely materially removed without impacting the overall guitar sound.
- the problem is I often don't have the quiet period of training noise to work with inside a particular clip, and I'm trying to think of a good way to have that noise profile become part of the exported waveform - while at the same time be easily stripped out when returned back into Mixcraft. I'm thinking an option to maybe append an associated noise profile to the beginning or ending of the clip would work and then I'd just have to trim/re-align when brought back into mixcraft so long as I didn't change the length of the clip.

Anyhow, that's my humble suggestion for the day. All the best,
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Sturdy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:26 am Suggestion: It would be great if mixcraft somehow recorded the a noise profile in the few seconds of quiet period of the metronome countdown while waiting for the punch-in and associate that with the recorded audio from that series of takes.
Great idea. I agree
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Sturdy

Post by Sturdy »

Here's a small change I think would be beneficial regarding lanes and drag and drop.

My specific case - but I think may be generalizable:
- my general case is I often drag several drum midis to my virtual drum track to audition them with my music or as to serve as alternative grooves to something I'm working on.
- Currently when dragging and dropping drum midi (I've tested in both AD2 and EZdrummer 3) when I drag and drop a drum midi track it always drops in the first lane of the track (regardless of whether something is already there or not).
- If there's already a drum midi in lane one of the track, the newly dragged-and-dropped midi will still go in lane one, but will drop behind the midi that is currently there. It can seem like the newly dropped midi disappears.
- This occurs even if trying to drag and drop into lane 2, lane 3 or lane n. It always places the newly dropped drum midi in lane 1.

Solution:
- It was be nice if the drum midi drag-and-drop dropped in the lane where it is released. (best solution imho - I manually create the lanes before I drag and drop. don't have to worry about potential overlapping midi, and it's my fault if I drop in a bad spot)
- alternative: have it create a new lane if one not already there. seems this might be programmatically more complicated to determine if midi overlaps somewhere.
- in any event, dropping the midi behind an existing midi is not a preferred result imho. Even if I want both drums playing at the same time (say it's a kick snare pattern and I'm adding a tambourine midi track) I'd personally still want them on separate lanes. Maybe there are other uses though.

anyhow, that's the suggestion. all the best ;-)
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Sturdy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:07 am Here's a small change I think would be beneficial regarding lanes and drag and drop.

- my general case is I often drag several drum midis to my virtual drum track to audition them with my music or as to serve as alternative grooves to something I'm working on.
- Currently when dragging and dropping drum midi (I've tested in both AD2 and EZdrummer 3) when I drag and drop a drum midi track it always drops in the first lane of the track (regardless of whether something is already there or not).
- If there's already a drum midi in lane one of the track, the newly dragged-and-dropped midi will still go in lane one, but will drop behind the midi that is currently there. It can seem like the newly dropped midi disappears.
- This occurs even if trying to drag and drop into lane 2, lane 3 or lane n. It always places the newly dropped drum midi in lane 1.

Solution:
- It was be nice if the drum midi drag-and-drop dropped in the lane where it is released. (best solution imho - I manually create the lanes before I drag and drop. don't have to worry about potential overlapping midi, and it's my fault if I drop in a bad spot)
- alternative: have it create a new lane if one not already there. seems this might be programmatically more complicated to determine if midi overlaps somewhere.
- in any event, dropping the midi behind an existing midi is not a preferred result imho. Even if I want both drums playing at the same time (say it's a kick snare pattern and I'm adding a tambourine midi track) I'd personally still want them on separate lanes. Maybe there are other uses though.

I haven't noticed it dropping behind other clips (though I wouldn't doubt it does, I'm using usually EZDrummer 2 here). Great suggestions again Sturdy
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Ian Craig wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:54 am
Sturdy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:07 am Here's a small change I think would be beneficial regarding lanes and drag and drop.

Solution:

I haven't noticed it dropping behind other clips (though I wouldn't doubt it does, I'm using usually EZDrummer 2 here). Great suggestions again Sturdy
I've had that problem too. I always end up moving the existing midi clip down to lane 2 before dropping the new one. Thanks for bringing it up here.