Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mark Bliss

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by Mark Bliss »

@inertias
Not sure about the why or how on the first point.
It has been my experience library sounds not at the song tempo rarely sound right. Unless you are doing something like the 1/2 speed or 2x, or something.
I don't do that stuff, so I am not of much help there.

But preview volume=
Go to mixer view/preview volume, attenuate the level.

About -12dB has been a good starting point for me.

Now suggest the ability to hide the preview track strip after setting it, and we will become fast friends... 8)

preview.png
preview.png (81.9 KiB) Viewed 37950 times

And do you know you can create curved automation from your linear tapers in one easy extra step?
Hover over the line in the taper and a yellow dot appears. Drag it around. It's fairly intuitive.

curves.png
curves.png (33.01 KiB) Viewed 37950 times

(*Oops, I forgot this forum doesn't do the @quote thing. :lol: )
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Sturdy wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:51 pm Suggestion: When recording new track, ability to auto-duck all other tracks (except the one being recorded) would be nice.
This is a great idea. but you could increase the volume of your recording track. It is more or less the same I think. That it is what I am doing intuitiv to get focus on a track.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Sturdy wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:51 pm Suggestion: When recording new track, ability to auto-duck all other tracks (except the one being recorded) would be nice.
A controllable Auto-duck would be a pretty cool feature - whether recording or not.

If you wanted to try something right now while waiting for the auto-duck feature to be implemented: besides adjusting the recording volume of the recorded track, you could accomplish something similar by creating a Submix track or an Output Bus track. Let's take the submix track first. Let's say as you finish tracks you add them to the submix track. When recording a new track, you lower the submix track volume to taste - thus lowering all of the output of all of the other tracks under the submix. You could do the same for an output bus. Add the finished tracks to the output bus as you go, then lower the volume on the output bus track when you are recording the new track (which hasn't been assigned to the output bus track).
inertias

Post by inertias »

Mark Bliss wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:59 pm @inertias
Not sure about the why or how on the first point.
It has been my experience library sounds not at the song tempo rarely sound right. Unless you are doing something like the 1/2 speed or 2x, or something.
I don't do that stuff, so I am not of much help there.
I guess it's more for drum loops, since I want to hear the unstretched sound with my mix and see if I want to cut the loop into oneshots. Then you can play the samples at the appropriate tempo yourself. But yes, this is a super nitpicky suggestion lol.
Mark Bliss wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:59 pm But preview volume=
Go to mixer view/preview volume, attenuate the level.

About -12dB has been a good starting point for me.

Now suggest the ability to hide the preview track strip after setting it, and we will become fast friends... 8)
omg, how did I not know this? Thank you haha. Still seems a bit weird for volume to not be in the library tab, but good enough lol.

Mark Bliss wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:59 pm And do you know you can create curved automation from your linear tapers in one easy extra step?
Hover over the line in the taper and a yellow dot appears. Drag it around. It's fairly intuitive.
Yes but it's really awkward to make the type of 's' looking curve that you can see in my screenshot (I realize the screenshot is not the best example), since you have to make 2 individual curves and then manually move them around, and not to mention it won't be as smooth as the pic I posted. Also, as far as I know you can't do these curves for crossfading.
Sturdy

Post by Sturdy »

ppayne wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:44 am but you could increase the volume of your recording track. It is more or less the same I think. That it is what I am doing intuitiv to get focus on a track.
I guess I should've called it an auto "more me" mode when recording as that's more of what I was thinking of - similar to the auto-boost you mention - so long as it avoids headphone clipping in the process. I went with ducking idea to avoid the possible clipping concern of boosted signal in the headphones even if source recorded signal is unaffected.

Overall I'd just like to minimize the track volume movements needed to do when recording in favor of a "when I'm recording, make whatever track I'm recording stand out by x dB either through ducking or boosting." As soon as I unarm the track the mix levels would be back where they started.

I bounce around alot from track to track when working out song ideas and different parts, so it could be something just particular to how I'm figuring out a song or how the different parts interact as I go instead of already coming to mixcraft with a full song idea and parts already formed.
Sturdy

Post by Sturdy »

cactus-head wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:30 am If you wanted to try something right now while waiting for the auto-duck feature to be implemented: besides adjusting the recording volume of the recorded track, you could accomplish something similar by creating a Submix track or an Output Bus track.
Thanks for the suggestion. That definitely makes sense. If I actually had formed songs and completed ideas at the outset this would work great. Unfortunately I'm constantly moving between parts because when I start I often have nothing but a tiny idea to flesh out - maybe a verse, or chorus, melody, or a drum beat, or just a guitar part - and nothing else. There aren't really any completed parts for much of the process. It's all fragmentary and contingent, and I'm hoping around between lots of tracks working with different ideas. Moving things around. It's really not a _huge_ deal to me, I just recognized I was doing a lot of repetitive track volume changes where the only goal was to hear my active recorded track better when performing it, and seemed like a relatively simple request to implement a toggle option. I'm sure there's probably more issues to codeing it that I'm unaware, but felt like it fit Mixcraft's strength/theme of super-efficient and fast workflow well.
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Sturdy wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:33 pm I guess I should've called it an auto "more me" mode when recording as that's more of what I was thinking of - similar to the auto-boost you mention - so long as it avoids headphone clipping in the process. I went with ducking idea to avoid the possible clipping concern of boosted signal in the headphones even if source recorded signal is unaffected.

Overall I'd just like to minimize the track volume movements needed to do when recording in favor of a "when I'm recording, make whatever track I'm recording stand out by x dB either through ducking or boosting." As soon as I unarm the track the mix levels would be back where they started.

I bounce around alot from track to track when working out song ideas and different parts, so it could be something just particular to how I'm figuring out a song or how the different parts interact as I go instead of already coming to mixcraft with a full song idea and parts already formed.
I defently like the idea with auto ducking. I using mixcraft the same way. Instead of busses etc I simply reduce the master volume and increase my focused instrument. Master volume is already there and I don't have to route anything. And clipping is not there, because the volume is reduced overall.

But auto ducking could do the job automatically. So I would also like this feature :D
rev.f

Post by rev.f »

It would be great if there could be "extended technique" sounds on the acoustic instruments. I can sometimes manage to imitate them, but it would be outstanding to have such an option.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

New year, old suggestion: Scroll wheel control! MC seems to be one of the only programs that I know that doesn't allow the mouse wheel to control the knob/slider that the mouse arrow is hovering over. Even the included TB plugins allow this.

Please! And Thanks!

M
inertias

Post by inertias »

Option to autoplay sounds from the library when you use the arrow keys to move through sounds quickly.

Edit: Also prevent "insert new track" from shifting the view up.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

inertias wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:25 am Option to autoplay sounds from the library when you use the arrow keys to move through sounds quickly.

Edit: Also prevent "insert new track" from shifting the view up.
Hi, I know it's an extra key press, but if you use the arrow keys and press Enter, the library sound will play. It might take a few milliseconds to press enter after pressing the up or down arrow but it's something you can do right now while waiting for the autoplay option,
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

I know I've asked this before and it's probably one of the least requested things but I suspect a pretty easy fix so I'm begging you...when using the Musical Typing feature, letter R should NEVER start a recording. I use this when mobile/travelling a lot and omg it's annoying when I'm trying to tap something out. Please.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Rolling Estonian wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:02 pm New year, old suggestion: Scroll wheel control! MC seems to be one of the only programs that I know that doesn't allow the mouse wheel to control the knob/slider that the mouse arrow is hovering over. Even the included TB plugins allow this.

Please! And Thanks!

M
Oh that's a good one. Seconded
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Here's another one.

I was juggling reading lyrics as I sang them with the two windows open. (Mixcraft & word doc) I don't bother to print them out because I make changes on the fly. So, I copied and pasted them in the project notes. Fantastic!

But it would be great if we had more options within that project note window. Like a mini word doc processor. (Bold type, font size, columns, etc.) Nothing too crazy, but enough so that they are relatively easy to read whilst recording.

Just a thought. 8)
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

jwarv wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:37 pm Here's another one.

I was juggling reading lyrics as I sang them with the two windows open. (Mixcraft & word doc) I don't bother to print them out because I make changes on the fly. So, I copied and pasted them in the project notes. Fantastic!

But it would be great if we had more options within that project note window. Like a mini word doc processor. (Bold type, font size, columns, etc.) Nothing too crazy, but enough so that they are relatively easy to read whilst recording.

Just a thought. 8)
I would prefer simply notes like bubbles at any point in track window. This can be used for lyrics or to do notes on a clip etc. Alternately a text track type would be nice. In this case I can create a lyrics text track and a todo text track with different colors. Or I can create a notes track above a track I have to do something.

And the text tracks can be displayed in the mixcraft app for a singer while recording.

I think text tracks is the best implementation because it fits in the current intuitive workflow and there is nothing new to understand for users.

Using Word and copy paste something is more a workaround in my opinion until we have any text fearures.