Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

chiefpotpipe

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by chiefpotpipe »

Chord Pad
Armichael2

Post by Armichael2 »

It looks like they've done this in Mixcraft 10, however NOW I have a problem in that I often link clips together and then mute and unmute them individually, and NOW I can't do that!

My projects also involve multiple takes, say for a lead guitar or vocal part, which I then link together and cut to find the best combination of clips. They need to be linked so they will cut at the exact same spots, but then need to be muted or unmuted individually. This allows for quick review of a few bars of the song, switching back and forth with different combinations of parts from 4 or 5 tracks. I can't be linking and unlinking all the time just so I can listen to the results. So is there a way, like a shift key or Ctrl key or Alt key to allow for individual linked clips to be set muted or unmuted?

Starship Krupa wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:16 am I would like to see the linking of clips operate on more functions than merely moving them.

Since my projects regularly involve such things as multiple takes of drum tracking, I wind up with say, 4 tracks of drums with 8 takes in each track and want to play back different takes to see which one I (or the talent) like best.

Currently there is no way to do this other than scrolling up and down across 32 uncollapsible lanes of drum takes, counting the takes by eye and muting and unmuting them one by one.

This leads to wacky situations where the left overhead from one take will be paired with the right overhead from another take and we wonder for a moment why everything flams once in a while.

Linking clips should allow the user to mute and unmute, split, adjust automation, resize, delete, basically everything you can do to a clip should be done to all clips that are linked, if possible (but especially muting and unmuting).

Also, it should either be default behaviour or optional behaviour that all clips created simultaneously during a given take will be linked.
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Forget my suggestion about the tags and keywords on the plugins. I just figured out that the new groups in the plugin manager work exactly as I suggested.

I like Mixcraft 10 more and more. Perfect :D
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

MASTERING FEATURE: Would it be possible to let us see the waveform in the Master track lane? Or at least be able to see it in the Sound editor window. You have most of what is needed to edit a sound on-board, but if you were to make it possible in the master track, I do believe one wouldn't have to leave Mixcraft to use an external editor in order to master. Which is what I'm doing now. I know, hearing is better than seeing, but I find it helpful to see certain anomalies as well as how hot I've made it. And I've tried mastering in MC. I just can't seem to work that way. And it would be much better to stay within the mixing project, in case you want to make changes to it. If you made it possible to click on a master clip, then sound tab and edit right there, your DAW would be a one-stop shop. IMO.

I realize this sounds more like a feature request. So, I'm not holding my breath until MC 11. However, something worth considering.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

jwarv wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:05 am MASTERING FEATURE: Would it be possible to let us see the waveform in the Master track lane? Or at least be able to see it in the Sound editor window. You have most of what is needed to edit a sound on-board, but if you were to make it possible in the master track, I do believe one wouldn't have to leave Mixcraft to use an external editor in order to master. Which is what I'm doing now. I know, hearing is better than seeing, but I find it helpful to see certain anomalies as well as how hot I've made it. And I've tried mastering in MC. I just can't seem to work that way. And it would be much better to stay within the mixing project, in case you want to make changes to it. If you made it possible to click on a master clip, then sound tab and edit right there, your DAW would be a one-stop shop. IMO.

I realize this sounds more like a feature request. So, I'm not holding my breath until MC 11. However, something worth considering.
I like this.

In the meantime what you could do is mix all of the other tracks down to a new audio track. Then mute the old tracks and master based on the newly created track. If the peaks and valleys aren't to your liking, you can delete the new audio track (turn off the effects on the master track) adjust your mix and mix down to new audio track again. The point being, you aren't mastering your mix but you are mastering a final audio track of your mix without using an external mastering software.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

I like this.

In the meantime what you could do is mix all of the other tracks down to a new audio track. Then mute the old tracks and master based on the newly created track. If the peaks and valleys aren't to your liking, you can delete the new audio track (turn off the effects on the master track) adjust your mix and mix down to new audio track again. The point being, you aren't mastering your mix but you are mastering a final audio track of your mix without using an external mastering software.
Yes, that occurred to me and probably the best way for now. I guess the toggling on/off fx can be extra work. Editing outside admittedly avoids that issue. Maybe a mastering mode can be implemented. Like a thermostat that handles heat and A/C. But I digress.
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

jwarv wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:05 am MASTERING FEATURE: Would it be possible to let us see the waveform in the Master track lane? Or at least be able to see it in the Sound editor window. You have most of what is needed to edit a sound on-board, but if you were to make it possible in the master track, I do believe one wouldn't have to leave Mixcraft to use an external editor in order to master. Which is what I'm doing now. I know, hearing is better than seeing, but I find it helpful to see certain anomalies as well as how hot I've made it. And I've tried mastering in MC. I just can't seem to work that way. And it would be much better to stay within the mixing project, in case you want to make changes to it. If you made it possible to click on a master clip, then sound tab and edit right there, your DAW would be a one-stop shop. IMO.

I also requested this on the previous page. It's such a no-brainer, I'm amazed it hasn't been introduced before. I'm glad it's not just me. Hopefully the more people request it, the greater traction it gets.

I'm always having to load completed projects into Audacity to view the master waveform.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Mr.Mxyzptlk wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:44 am

I also requested this on the previous page. It's such a no-brainer, I'm amazed it hasn't been introduced before. I'm glad it's not just me. Hopefully the more people request it, the greater traction it gets.

I'm always having to load completed projects into Audacity to view the master waveform.
I figured as much. I'm not inclined to go back and read all posts. Thanks for weighing in again though. I'm in good company. :wink:
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

I'm not trying to rattle any cages but here's a possible why this may never be an included feature:

From a realistic perspective, it's not an easy thing to implement without mixing the file first. You need a completed output file with the sample points mapped that included the effects from the mix. I can't imagine it would be a real time feature where on the fly the complete wave file is drawn. If it was an automatic process to display this final mix on the master track then every time there was a change to a track in the mix, whether it be an effect adjustment or some new midi stuff or a new recording, all the tracks would have to be mixed and dumped to the master lane. You'd never get any work done. I'm curious, is there a DAW out there that has a master track with the completed waveform without mixing it down to a single file?

If you are thinking that the submix view is similar, that's not a mixed visual. That is just a layered drawing of the various tracks.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Hmm. I reckon you're right. Maybe that's a new product idea. Acoustica Mastercraft? :mrgreen:
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

cactus-head wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:40 pm I'm not trying to rattle any cages but here's a possible why this may never be an included feature:

From a realistic perspective, it's not an easy thing to implement without mixing the file first. You need a completed output file with the sample points mapped that included the effects from the mix. I can't imagine it would be a real time feature where on the fly the complete wave file is drawn. If it was an automatic process to display this final mix on the master track then every time there was a change to a track in the mix, whether it be an effect adjustment or some new midi stuff or a new recording, all the tracks would have to be mixed and dumped to the master lane. You'd never get any work done. I'm curious, is there a DAW out there that has a master track with the completed waveform without mixing it down to a single file?

If you are thinking that the submix view is similar, that's not a mixed visual. That is just a layered drawing of the various tracks.
You had to go and spoil it! :wink: I know Studio One has like a project page or something where a Master Track is created. Surely something like that would be better than nothing?

Perhaps when you perform the 'Mix Down to Wave' function, Mixcraft can dump the waveform in the Master Track Lane then? Having the latest mixed down version there would also be better than nothing at all if they don't want to go down the whole Project Page route.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Mr.Mxyzptlk wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:01 pm You had to go and spoil it! :wink:
I'm probably wrong. It's probably easy to do and I'm thinking too hard because I would definitely love to see that feature.
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

cactus-head wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:04 pm
Mr.Mxyzptlk wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:01 pm You had to go and spoil it! :wink:
I'm probably wrong. It's probably easy to do and I'm thinking too hard because I would definitely love to see that feature.
Nah, you're probably right, just never thought about the mechanics behind it before. I'm sure it could be done though. They don't even have to have live updates of the waveform in the Master Track lane.

Perhaps there could be an update button there that just creates the waveform when selected. Then you can just view it at certain stages during the project as and when you need to.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Mr.Mxyzptlk wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:44 am Would it be possible to:
1. Be able to view the Master Track waveform 'Audacity-style'.
Found it. I did read this, now that I think of it. I guess I overlooked it because I'm more of a Sound Forge guy. 8)
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Mr.Mxyzptlk wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:01 pm
I know Studio One has like a project page or something where a Master Track is created. Surely something like that would be better than nothing?
That's interesting. Have you used it?
Last edited by jwarv on Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.