Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mixedbyedd

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by Mixedbyedd »

Jokes on you, they didn't null.

How can I post it? Please let me know and I will.

Or I can e-mail it to you..

Banjostar wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:41 am
Mixedbyedd wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:26 pm My suggestion (please take this into serious consideration)

If in Mixcraft 10, the developers can update the audio engine with more clarity, a wider stereo image, & more headroom - MC10 will be golden. As we all know MC is leading in the 'load up and get straight to work' programs on the market today - best workflows ever.

I've tested many DAWs, as well as analog mixers (neve, ssl, electroydyne), even AD/DA converters (prism, lavry, apogee)

But on topic with DAWs, I feel MC kinda lacks in the mixdown (audio engine) and what goes in comes out slightly narrow, less defined, compared to other DAWs I've tested. Samplitude Pro X4, Logic, as examples. Which sounds more 'honest' 'neutral' nothing to alter the source.

However, please Mixcraft - take this suggestion and do as you will, but I think it'd be a great idea and will turn MC10 into a total beast :D

sent audio examples/videos to Eric

Best,

Eddie
twitter.com/therealliledd
instagram.com/lileddmusic
This is so stupid. Do a null test and post it here.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Mixedbyedd wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:10 pm So glad you understand.

I'm not here to compare to other DAWs, but the test I did, didn't null with the other.

Yes it's minimum, but that little tweak could make the biggest difference on how we make our mixing decisions.

How do you use Melda's MRecorder? I'm down to try it.
Just add the VST3 to the Master Track. Work as normal. Anytime you want a mixdown, just set it to not start recording when playback is disabled (a little option on the main Gui of the plugin), set the directory to record into, give it a name hit the record button in the plugin, - all of that can be set & saved within the plugin, then when ready just start playback in Mixcraft and let it record until the end, it will stop itself when playback stops & you have a file that doesn't have anything failing to render & if re-importing the resultant file, it is perfectly in sync with the rest of your project, so it sounds like it did when you worked on it, not like something else entirely, as it often does if Mixcraft 9's built in Mixdown option is used.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Remove the whole effect section from within instrument preset and give us a nice workflow for managing track templates. This could make some things more easy from ux and development point. In conjunction with Mixcraft it could also more match to the kind of users when there is only one single point to setup effects.

Best regards
Patrick
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

ppayne wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:55 am Remove the whole effect section from within instrument preset and give us a nice workflow for managing track templates. This could make some things more easy from ux and development point. In conjunction with Mixcraft it could also more match to the kind of users when there is only one single point to setup effects.

Best regards
Patrick
Project backwards compatibility would be affected for users loading old projects when upgrading if this suggestion was implemented without modular-type setup options, that could enable both backwards compatibility or this simplified view. I can see advantages of both as an option that could be switched (at least superficially, while using one set of saved information for all presets & one location), but I'm not sure removing the option to have effects added in the current way would be advantageous
Windows 10 Professional
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Ian Craig wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:51 am
ppayne wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:55 am Remove the whole effect section from within instrument preset and give us a nice workflow for managing track templates. This could make some things more easy from ux and development point. In conjunction with Mixcraft it could also more match to the kind of users when there is only one single point to setup effects.

Best regards
Patrick
Project backwards compatibility would be affected for users loading old projects when upgrading if this suggestion was implemented without modular-type setup options, that could enable both backwards compatibility or this simplified view. I can see advantages of both as an option that could be switched (at least superficially, while using one set of saved information for all presets & one location), but I'm not sure removing the option to have effects added in the current way would be advantageous
Normally developers handle the compatibility conversions on the project load task. In this case the effect settings must be simply moved in front of the existing on the track effects section. Multiple setups are not really needed. A user can decide if he save the converted project or leave it as it is without saving.

Currently the two implementations are ended in different midi routing handling. It's just an idea and I think the developers must decide if it really makes sense having two implementations of the same thing including testing and bug fixing.

From a ux perspective it makes no sense to have the same thing on two places in an application in my opinion. But you are right, a piece of compatibility must be implemented.

What also have to be done would be to convert each instrument preset into a track template once. This change would end in a simplification where we do not need instrument presets anymore. All would be a track template or a real instrument.

Overall a lot of advantages and more easy overall when implementing this suggestion.And the biggest advantage would be to transfer track settings between projects!

I think it were the right direction but I don't believe that this is coming up in the next version of mixcraft :D maybe this can be an idea for the future to bring the effects sections together and simplify some things.

Best regards
Patrick
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

The last two days I had a trial with StudioOne 6 Pro and I really had forgotten how stupid, unneeded complex an unusable a daw can be :shock:

Here is my most important suggestion:

Try to keep the usability in Mixcraft simple and intuitive as it is when implementing new features!!!

Best regards
Patrick
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

ppayne wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:37 pm The last two days I had a trial with StudioOne 6 Pro and I really had forgotten how stupid, unneeded complex an unusable a daw can be :shock:

Try to keep the usability in Mixcraft simple and intuitive as it is when implementing new features!!!

Best regards
Patrick
I agree. Also Studio One cannot open more than one plugin window at a time, which makes progressive learning a lot more difficult than Mixcraft.
Windows 10 Professional
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Here's a suggestion.

While it's easy and wonderful to pick an instrument from the category list as MC searches through the database and gives you names of presets, that option goes away when you layer instruments. It only gives you a drop down list of plugins, but not individual names like the category list. It would help tremendously if that were possible for the latter. :)
Instrument list.jpg
Instrument list.jpg (174.47 KiB) Viewed 49871 times
Last edited by jwarv on Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banjostar

Post by Banjostar »

Ian Craig wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:43 pm
ppayne wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:37 pm The last two days I had a trial with StudioOne 6 Pro and I really had forgotten how stupid, unneeded complex an unusable a daw can be :shock:

Best regards
Patrick
I agree. Also Studio One cannot open more than one plugin window at a time, which makes progressive learning a lot more difficult than Mixcraft.
Of course you can have more than one plugin window open at a time.

If you can use Mixcraft you can use S1. The difference is that S1 has more functionality. Personally I don't use 90% of them so I want a simpler DAW.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

[/quote]

If you can use Mixcraft you can use S1. The difference is that S1 has more functionality. Personally I don't use 90% of them so I want a simpler DAW.
[/quote]

I used Studio One every Day for 5 months earlier this year and I found no way to have more than 1 plugin window open at a time. Have you tried having more than one plugin window open at a time ?
Windows 10 Professional
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Ian Craig wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:06 am

[/quote]

I used Studio One every Day for 5 months earlier this year and I found no way to have more than 1 plugin window open at a time. Have you tried having more than one plugin window open at a time ?
[/quote]

I did not come to this point with S1. This daw was to stupid to me. I did try simply create tracks with instruments and effects. The goal was to route the instrument midi to the shaperbox effect for triggering some waves. After hours of try and read manuals I gave t up. The ui displays tons of micro knobs without any intelligent organization. Users can look the screen for 10 minutes to find what they looking for. I haven't found the simple option to remove the damn effect from a track. That is unbelievable. There is absolutely no need to give users these kind of ui. Maybe 17 year old freaks will like this to get the feel they have learned something important in its life. Maybe. The Uninstaller of S1 worked great :D

I know S1 give the option to hide and display knobs and workspaces. But really that is not my job. That is the job of the vendor to bring up a usable interface on the first start.

What S1 have done perfectly is the organization of vst and the track preset organization itself in my opinion. In Mixcraft it is really annoying to configure midi tracks again and again. Sometimes I have to open to projects and try to reconfigure a track in a new project. And the instrument preset dialog is not really acceptable for solving these tasks because expression pedal config is not saved, midi forwarding to the effect is not possible like on tracks, instrument groups cannot be renamed and so on...
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

ppayne wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:59 am
The Uninstaller of S1 worked great :D

I know S1 give the option to hide and display knobs and workspaces. But really that is not my job. That is the job of the vendor to bring up a usable interface on the first start.

What S1 have done perfectly is the organization of vst and the track preset organization itself in my opinion. In Mixcraft it is really annoying to configure midi tracks again and again. Sometimes I have to open to projects and try to reconfigure a track in a new project. And the instrument preset dialog is not really acceptable for solving these tasks because expression pedal config is not saved, midi forwarding to the effect is not possible like on tracks, instrument groups cannot be renamed and so on...

I like the bit about the uninstaller :lol:
I find Studio One has just introduced Folders for organisation in version six, only this year. Mixcraft collections work great for organising plugins into multiple groups (and has been like that over the last decade I think), so that is one reason I keep returning to the organisational sanity of Mixcraft, despite the mixdown function in Mixcraft 9 & rendering of what-you-mix-things-as being useless forcing me to use MRecorder (VST3 version, as the vst2 doesn't have right channel output in Mx9) on the Master Track every time I want a rendered version of what I'm working on.
Windows 10 Professional
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Ian Craig wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:29 am I like the bit about the uninstaller :lol:
I find Studio One has just introduced Folders for organisation in version six, only this year. Mixcraft collections work great for organising plugins into multiple groups (and has been like that over the last decade I think), so that is one reason I keep returning to the organisational sanity of Mixcraft, despite the mixdown function in Mixcraft 9 & rendering of what-you-mix-things-as being useless forcing me to use MRecorder (VST3 version, as the vst2 doesn't have right channel output in Mx9) on the Master Track every time I want a rendered version of what I'm working on.
I agree that mixcraft has some features for a long time. For me mixcraft is the best choice if you want to make music like a human and not like a chimpanzee that learn simple tasks difficult from a manual and repeat that without thinking between thousand of stupid knobs .

I have used logic for windows for a long time, where I had to install a module called "klick Geist" to get a metronome sound. Nothing more to say about that :D I also used cubase for a while to get back my atari feelings when I was 12 years old and slowing down my system. Samplitude was my preferred daw without midi in the past. They had also a ux with sense but they did integrate the logic midi engine in the past, that makes it also unusable.

Overall the mixcraft development seems to thinking about the processes again and bring them in a usable way as expected for the year 2022. Some things can be improved today and they have also to fight with decisions from the past to keep projects compatible. But I think after they have updated the ui and added tb effects (it was outdated) they thinking about the right things. I think they are back on track 8)

There is no alternate to Mixcraft on windows if you haven't planed to configure your car engine first before you can drive a mile. So for my workflow I had made my most important suggestions to keep things simple and speed up the workflow.

For me it is notes or lyrics in track view, track templates or improved preset dialog, more midi features like keyswitches. After that I am in daw heaven :lol:
Sturdy

Post by Sturdy »

Suggestion: When recording new track, ability to auto-duck all other tracks (except the one being recorded) would be nice.

The idea is that when I'm recording new tracks I find that I'm regularly reducing the volume of all other tracks so I can hear myself better on the new performance. My recording process currently is me recording new parts by myself - so not sure this would make sense in multitrack situations with more than one performer - but for one-track-at-a-time it seems something I'm doing all the time as I cycle through parts on guitars, keyboards, and bass. I often use Mixcraft as a sketchpad for a song in creative process, so I'm not recording completed tracks usually - it's various parts as they are in the process of being created - so lots of going from one instrument to the other all the time. I find I'm always messing with faders when doing this, but in reality what I'm doing is equivalent to an auto-duck for the non-active track.

I don't know where in the interface this option would go, but maybe under a right-click of the record button. My natural inclination would be to set that ducking option as an amount of dBs underneath the metronome settings, but conceptually it really doesn't belong there - so not sure where an intuitive location for that would be. But underneath a right click of the record button probably would make sense.

Anyhow, just wanted to throw the idea out there as I think it'd be useful.
inertias

Post by inertias »

I always worry about giving suggestions since I feel bad for devs that have to read the same suggestions again and again, or suggestions which are just a user's ignorance. So sorry in advance again! :P

Ability to play library sounds at their original tempo during playback would be great, since sometimes you want to hear if a sound works in your mix during playback without the warping. Also, library sound preview volume knob please :D

More customizable crossfading envelopes instead of just linear fades as well as preset envelopes would be great. Something like the standard curve you see in other DAWs:
I know you can sort of recreate this in mixcraft, but it's a bit janky.