upgrading to 64 bit???

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Steadj12

upgrading to 64 bit???

Post by Steadj12 »

When I first got mixcraft 7 I was running a 32 bit win7 system, now I have a 64 bit system... If i were to uninstall MC7 (leaving all VST's and project files etc intact), and get the 64 bit version, would I encounter any problems?? would MC still be able to open project made on the 32 bit program? would 32 bit VST's still run?...??? I recently found out the 32 bit version has a 4 GB ram limit on projects (right??) and would like to upgrade. :)
WhiRz

Re: upgrading to 64 bit???

Post by WhiRz »

I think you can dowload both 32 and 64 bits if your 32 bits version is activated. Without having to uninstall the 32 bits version.
But I'm probably wrong.

Anyway if I'm right, you could test that on your own and have your own opinion.

Also consider the fact that if you use a lot of 32 bits VST, it will eat more CPU if you use the 64 bits.
I've took the 64 bits only because I got a lot of 64 bits VST.
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

It should be fine since Mixcraft has a built-in utility that will "bridge" the 32 bit plugs to 64 bit.

That being said, you should run native versions of plugins when you can (the less bridging the better), so best to install the 64 bit versions of your plugins if available. Keep the 32 bit and 64 bit plugins in separate folders.
chibear

Post by chibear »

Hi,

Check your available RAM to see what there is to work with. Remember if you have lots of 32 bit VSTs and VSTi's running in 64 bit Mixcraft, each one will be run in a wrapper which eats up RAM. So if breaking the 4GB barrier is your goal, IMO you should have a minimum of 12GB of RAM on your machine with <> 8 GB free.

Another alternative if you only have a few 64 bit plugins would be to run 32 bit Mixcraft and then use a bitbridge like Jbridge to wrap the 64 bit plugin(s) so then you would have a RAM ceiling of 4GB for Mixcraft and your 32 bit plugins plus whatever your machine can handle for the 64 bit plugin(s). Several of us used this method to run 64 bit plugins in Mixcraft 6 which was 32 bit only.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Steadj12

Post by Steadj12 »

Thanks for the replies... One more question... Mixcraft should still be able to run projects made in the 32 bit version whe I upgrade to 64 bit right? I've got 16 GB of ram installed so space shouldnt be a problem...
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yes, the projects should run. Hw well will rely on a combination of your machines performance and project specifics.
It would probably be best to follow the original suggestion of installing both versions for evaluation and decide for yourself which best suits you.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page