WaveRT Lowers Volume Of Other Programs

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

EkajArmstro

WaveRT Lowers Volume Of Other Programs

Post by EkajArmstro »

I just got a new soundcard (Sound Blaster Z) and now when I use Mixcraft with WaveRT other programs on my computer become quieter. It seems like the volume of things in Mixcraft is correct, and only other programs are quieted but it's hard to tell for sure.

This is very annoying, but still better than ASIO (doesn't work with multiple input devices) or WAVE (latency).

Any idea why this might be happening? It didn't happen with my onboard sound card.
AHornsby

Re: WaveRT Lowers Volume Of Other Programs

Post by AHornsby »

EkajArmstro wrote: and only other programs are quieted but it's hard to tell for sure.
Presumably it's the new sound card. What other programs are quieted? -h
EkajArmstro

Post by EkajArmstro »

Literally everything else gets quieter. Including using "Listen to this device" on a recording device.

I think the Mixcraft volume isn't being lowered because if I change to ASIO I think it sounds the same, but everything in the background gets louder.

It obviously has something to do with my soundcard because it didn't happen with onboard audio, but this is literally the only problem I've run into with it and it only happens in WaveRT mode. I'm basically wondering if anyone else has run into this issue (I believe it's a fairly popular soundcard) or if anyone who works on Mixcraft might know why this is happening and if there are any workarounds.
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Seeing that the Sound Blaster Z is a gaming sound card, it could be that the card itself is identifying Mixcraft as a high-priority audio source, and the ducking of other audio could be something the card does by default for games (and is mistaking Mixcraft for a game).
EkajArmstro

Post by EkajArmstro »

Maybe, but I have automatic level adjustment turned off in my soundcard settings and it doesn't happen with games or Mixcraft in ASIO or WAVE modes. It seems like WaveRT might just not be supported properly by my card (even though it mostly works) and it also seems like Mixcraft is one of the only programs that uses WaveRT so it's hard to find information.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

WaveRT is Mixcraft dealing directly with Windows' core audio capabilities.

Right-click on the small volume control icon in your Windows task bar and select Playback Devices. Right-click on the playback device you're using for Mixcraft and select Properties. Go through the various tabs and see if there are any applicable settings. In particular, look at the Advanced tab. If there is a "Disable All Effects" option, try selecting that.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
rowdy777

Post by rowdy777 »

Hey yall, when I switch my Steinberg UR22 I/O to Wave RT I get a popup that tells me that other programs and online apps will have no audio.
With ASIO everything has an audio signal.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

rowdy777 wrote:Hey yall, when I switch my Steinberg UR22 I/O to Wave RT I get a popup that tells me that other programs and online apps will have no audio.
With ASIO everything has an audio signal.
Hi,

With WaveRT, do you have a check mark next to "Use Exclusive Mode?" If so, that's why.

Greg
EkajArmstro

Post by EkajArmstro »

There is an option to enable enhancements that I had set to off, but whether it's on or off doesn't make a difference.
EkajArmstro

Post by EkajArmstro »

I HAVE SOLVED IT! After experiencing weird channel-swapping issues with a different program, I switched the soundcard from Headphone mode to Stereo Direct mode (still using headphones, but moving them to the Stereo port on the soundcard). So far this has fixed all of my issues.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Probably some kind of audio ducking feature of your soundcard for headphones? Anyway, thank you for letting us know you figured out what was causing the problem.

Greg