Backup

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

heath_hill5150

Backup

Post by heath_hill5150 »

How do i backup my work? A jump drive will not hold all the info. I need to backup all my work on mixcraft. I have had a computer crash in the past & I lost everything. If this happens again, I need to be prepared.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You could burn it to DVD if you have a DVD RW drive. Mixcraft 3 can't burn DVDs, but with Windows XP or Vista, you could use Mixcraft 3's copy project option to put the entire project in one folder, then just drag that folder to the DVD drive with a blank DVD in it.

Greg
Jim Lad

Post by Jim Lad »

I use a memory stick and deliberately delete most of my Mixcraft files.
Can't they also be stored on external hard drives.
PDS

Post by PDS »

This is one time when USB devices come into thier own.External USB hard drives are really cheap now and either come with bundled software to mirror/back-up your complete drive/system or you can download it from the hard drive maker's site/s for free.

That way if you get a fatal crash you can just mirror the system back over.

When I ran win98SE I used to be able to backup my system partition onto a standard CDR/RW and re-load the full system in less than 10 mins.Things have got bigger so slower but you may want to consider the external hard drive option.

HTH :)
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Agreeing with PDS, I use a "drive enclosure" on all my computers. It is basically an external USB drive where you can remove the drive and replace it if it goes bad, or for any other reason.
I then use Paragon Drive Copy, which makes an exact clone of my systems entire hard drive. If any goes wrong, I just use Paragon and restore it as if nothing ever happened.