MC8 problems adding sound device when pgm is open

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

elaw

MC8 problems adding sound device when pgm is open

Post by elaw »

I have a Fender G-DEC guitar amp with a USB interface that looks to the PC like a sound card. And I have a Behringer mixer with the same.

Until today I've been using MC with the mixer and it's worked fine.

Today, with MC open and the mixer on (I always turn it on before the computer) and a project open, I turned on the G-DEC and the PC and Mixcraft detected that a sound device had been added.

MC was in "stop" mode when I turned on the G-DEC and as soon as I did, MC would not play any more. It didn't crash when I pressed the play button, it just did nothing. Also when I switched an audio track to record from the G-DEC, no sound came through.

Closing and reopening Mixcraft with the G-DEC turned on fixed everything... I could record my guitar in MC, and stop/play/record worked as they should.

Is any of the above expected behavior? I quickly fired up MC7 and it did not seem to have those problems... I could turn the G-DEC on and off with the program open and my ability to play & record was unaffected, and I could get sound from the amp as soon as it was powered on.
aj113

Re: MC8 problems adding sound device when pgm is open

Post by aj113 »

All versions of MC have that kind of problem in my experience. If you do anything at all related to changing sound cards while the program is open it is highly likely to hang/crash/otherwise go crazy. Also if you open a project with its last known sound card not connected, it can take a dog's age to open.

If you wait for long enough, the program will eventually become responsive again, (ususally) although you may need to go into preferences and click OK to get your card working again.
Acoustica Greg

Re: MC8 problems adding sound device when pgm is open

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You may or may not have problems doing that, depending on your audio drivers and hardware configuration. If you find that it's a problem with your system, then just get in the habit of connecting or disconnecting when Mixcraft isn't running.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101