"Rockin Till The Morning" recorded with mixcraft 3

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Vincent

"Rockin Till The Morning" recorded with mixcraft 3

Post by Vincent »

This is my first song recorded totally using mixcraft 3...I used a zoom GFX1 for effects (which I dont like) however Ive just bought some MXR pedals that should improve my sound.

I didnt use an amp to record...I wonder would it be better to record with an amp and mic or is it better to just record directly into the puter...just wondering.

I was thinking about using a VST amp sim plugin however I still think you cant beat a real amp.

Any suggestions for warming up the sound I have because I find it a bit harsh sounding.

Thanks for any replies

Song is called "Rockin Till The Morning"
http://travtale.dmusic.com/music/
EL34

Post by EL34 »

Hey nice tune!
My kind of stuff.
IMO, I think the phasing/Flanging is a bit on the heavy side.

A trick I do in Mixcraft 3 is to duplicate a track twice.
Make the left track pan 75/25% left
Make the right track pan 75/25% right.
Make the center track pan center and make it louder than the other two tracks so the drier sound pops out.

Just a suggestion you can try and see if you like it.

I rarely record with real amps and I have at least 10 cool tube amps.
I use a stereo tube pre amp into the computer and then process all sounds with Guitar Rig3.

Recording with amps and mics presents a huge problem to me without an isloation booth.
One thing I do is compromise and use a tube amp but use a Palmer PGA-04 to soak up the speakers and send a line level signal to the computer and then process that with guitar rig.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Ok thanks for the tips.

Should I double the tracks or triple them?...pan one to the left and one to the right and then have one in the center...just wondering.

Can you recommend a decent stereo tube pre amp...also are there any good ones that are not to expensive.

Also im not sure what guitar rig 3 is...must be a program of some kind is it...can you point me to a link of it on the net so I can see what it is.

I really want to improve my sound.

Also what are you using for an interface...I have fast track usb but I dont really like it much.

thanks again
EL34

Post by EL34 »

Guitar Rig is amp modeling software and able to do so much more.
http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.p ... itarrig3se

Interface?
I plug my guitar into a stereo tube pre amp and then right into the computer soundcard line in.

I don't know what is out that as far as tube pre amps, I make my own stuff from scratch.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

thanks again

I might try pluging into sound card because there is a bit to much latency using fast track usb...I guess I will have to search for a stereo tube pre amp.
dfarrell

Post by dfarrell »

Hey Vincent,
It sounds good. Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm pretty new at all this too, so I don't have a lot of technical advice to give, but if your interested in finding out what other people are using I'll let you know what I'm using. I'm using the Line6 toneport. It allows me to plug in guitars, bass and microphones. The software that comes with it has tons amplifier simulations for guitar, bass and vocals. I would rather play through a tube amp as well, but since most of my "studio time" is after the kids are in bed, that won't work most of the time.
EL34

Post by EL34 »

You need a pre amp between the guitar and the soundcard.
Some pedals have actice preamps in them that you can use.
I had a TC Electronics chorus/flanger pedal that had a bypass switch.
If you bypassed the effects, the pedal still amplified the guitar signal.