Yamaha keyboard MIDI connection - HELP

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

igglephan

Yamaha keyboard MIDI connection - HELP

Post by igglephan »

I am trying to connect my Yamaha YPT-300 to my desktop to record through Mixcraft 3, and have been having some problems. Desperate for help...

Through some trial and error, I believe I have successfully connected the keyboard through a Yamaha UX-16 USB - MIDI interface, including having loaded the appropriate drivers. I do get the 'found new hardware' message, but when I pull up mixcraft and try to 'arm' the keyboard, it appears that Mixcraft does not recognize it. It does not come up on the 'arm' menu and I get no level response when I play.

Three questions -
1. Has anyone successfully connected a YPT-300 or other Yamaha keyboard through the UX16 or other similar device?

2. If so, how - is there something different I need to do to have Mixcraft recognize the unit?

3. I'm a MIDI novice - so...Can I play the keyboard directly into the computer/Mixcraft or do I have to record my performance on the keyboard's internal recording device (?? i.e., create a MIDI file??) and 'playback' to the computer?

Thanks very much for the help.
Acoustica Dan
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Dan »

Hello,

Thanks for your message. To put it simply, MIDI does not contain audio of any kind. When you hook your computer up to your keyboard via MIDI, all you are transmitting is information about which keys you have hit, not the sound of the keys you have hit. This MIDI information can be used to play a second instrument, or virtual software instruments in Mixcraft 4.

If you want to record the sound of your keyboard in Mixcraft 3, MIDI is not the solution. All you need to do is take the Left and Right line outputs of the keyboard, and wire them up to the Line Input of your computer's sound card. Once you've done that, you can arm the audio track with your Line In input, and record your keyboard!

To summarize, once again -- MIDI is NOT audio, and you can't record the sound of your keyboard in any software via a MIDI device.

Thanks,
Dan