Thick meaty mids

Post any tips and tricks you've discovered for using Acoustica software here.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Scythe

Thick meaty mids

Post by Scythe »

If your final pre-master or even master is a bit too 'scooped out' sounding....thin sounding, how do you guys bring in more 'meatyness' or more solidity or Mids into the mix?

Without it ending up sounding brittle and/or muffled or muddy.

lots of descriptive words used to try and convey the sense of my question...
I already know what I do to help this situation but want to get other's take on it as well mainly because I'm self taught and would like to know how others deal with it.

If we listen to recordings from the analog era, they sound frickin AMAZING!
Starship Krupa

Re: Thick meaty mids

Post by Starship Krupa »

Assuming that the mix is in good shape, that every instrument sounds as I want it to and is placed where I want it to be placed, I'd touch it up with one of the mastering EQ's at my disposal.

I got a license for Eventide/Newfangled EQuivocate when it first came out, and I also have Soundspot Overtone and Samsara Passive Stereo EQ (which is a Manley Massive Passive workalike). I recently got iZotope Ozone Elements 8 and have been messing about with the EQ in that suite as well.

When I get better versed in the ways of the wily multi-band compressor, one of those might make its way into my master FX chain.

Along the way, of course, it's important to reference the master against existing songs that I think sound great and well-balanced. I can also get a visual representation using Meldaproduction's MAnalyzer.

So what do you do?
-Erik