Stereo Widening No Phase Issues

Post any tips and tricks you've discovered for using Acoustica software here.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mark Bliss

Re: Stereo Widening No Phase Issues

Post by Mark Bliss »

Damn, there's a lot to reply to here. :lol:
It'll have to wait for later. Life ya know..... 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
dpaterson

Re: Stereo Widening No Phase Issues

Post by dpaterson »

Good morning everyone. And how is everyone on this fine morning???
Damn, there's a lot to reply to here. :lol:
It'll have to wait for later. Life ya know..... 8)
No pressure Mr. Bliss. As I said: I just really value your input and am forever grateful for it.

Been doing some recapping and tidying things up a bit (now that I've got SOUND!!!) so here's one or two additional thoughts and / or observations.

I'm well aware that I've only been concerned with ONE instrument and that's distorted electric guitar. How all of my "phase findings" will impact on other instruments or in a mix in general I know not (but insofar as a mix is concerned I intend to find out shortly by doing some recordings) (hopefully even today). I will say this though: I spent a little time examining some of the original songs that I'm trying to cover and I can tell you that I cannot find a single one where the phase correlation goes negative at any one point in time. For the most part: phase correlation moves between 0.50 and 1.00 on Voxengo's SPAN Plus (which in my terms is between 50% and 100%). So there must be something to this all and I don't think I've wasted any time in this quest.

My findings seem to have opened some nice doors for me too. And given that this thread was SUPPOSED to be about stereo widening with no phase issues this is a nice time to post about this. Let me explain. Sometimes when I'm just too tired at the end of the day to do anything musically I sit and just listen to what I've done during the day and muck about with different plugins. As noted previously: I played around a bit with parallel compression (and I'm about to start a new thread on this because it's "the bomb"). Last night (not for any particular reason) I just happened to slap "Blue Cat's Gain 3 (Dual)" plugin on the Master Output track (it's part of their free bundle and can be found here: https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... GainSuite/) of my parallel compressed guitar recording. The results were amazing. By this I mean that with this simple plugin and by just SLIGHTLY bringing up the sides (mid-side) I could expand my already "lush" stereo "panorama" to as wide as I wanted it WITHOUT introducing any unwanted issues (be they phase issues or anything else). Or: I could adjust the mid channel pushing the middle for a slightly more focused middle. Outstanding. I then tried this same plugin on a recording that I considered "dubious" i.e. very little to no stereo seperation and with phase issues. The result was terrible. I guess what I'm saying is that if you have a good starting point or source: the possibilities are endless. But a plugin can only do so much.

And that's about it folks. If I think of anything else that I can add here that may be of value to others I will surely post.

Regards,

Dale.