Needing a new interface

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mixyguy2

Re: Needing a new interface

Post by mixyguy2 »

Yeah tech is so good now I doubt you could buy a bad (new) AI if you tried, and the diff's between them keeps shrinking.

A lot of "pros" hate to hear that though, and insist it's not true. Not sure why...maybe because having the pricier stuff has at least given the appearance of being better (all other things being equal) and if it becomes common knowledge that this is getting less and less true, it could hurt business..
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

"Yeah tech is so good now I doubt you could buy a bad (new) AI if you tried, and the diff's between them keeps shrinking."
This makes sense hardware wise but with the proviso that we vet the software (drivers) also.

"A lot of "pros" hate to hear that though, and insist it's not true. Not sure why...maybe because having the pricier stuff has at least given the appearance of being better (all other things being equal) and if it becomes common knowledge that this is getting less and less true, it could hurt business.."

My thought is that opinions of pros probably vary based on personal bias/experience, unless they have endorsement/business interests which would then explain that sufficiently. The part about hurting business is sometimes referred to as "ruining the market". And that's what would happen if the buying public was well enough informed.

There's an interesting history regarding Sigmund Freud's nephew Edward Louis Bernays that ties into all this. Bernays was (per Wikipedia) "an Austrian-American pioneer in the field of public relations and propaganda, referred to in his obituary as "the father of public relations". Bernays was named one of the 100 most influential Americans of the 20th century by Life magazine." Some would call him a scoundrel. Over the decades, I have personally seen business (especially big business) only get smarter in their practices.
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

dpaterson wrote:
... I am neither a Behringer lover or hater.
Yeh yeh. In spite of what you say: I am gonna call you "Mr. Behringer" from now on!!! LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.
Oh-oh. LOL. Maybe it's happening :) It's almost like rooting for your favorite sports team. I only ask that you keep an eye on me Dale in the event that someone needs to organize an intervention :D :wink:

But as Mixguy2 mentioned, if you stick to a later AI, it's harder these days to make a poor choice.
-Tom
Windows 10 64-Bit
2TB SSD
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Thomas wrote:This makes sense hardware wise but with the proviso that we vet the software (drivers) also.
True, good point; I think that's largely the diff maker in good vs better (other than added features, obviously).
My thought is that opinions of pros probably vary based on personal bias/experience, unless they have endorsement/business interests
Definitely.....I was speaking generally though, with no offhand thought on where the percentages lay. "A lot," basically. :)
The part about hurting business is sometimes referred to as "ruining the market". And that's what would happen if the buying public was well enough informed.
I think so. In fact, it's already happening on a large scale. Record companies are reeling from the whole "indie" thing, i.e. smaller studios exploding (again, thanks largely to tech improvements/lesser costs)...but ironically, now that tide is turning on those same small studios as home studios explode.
geobee

Post by geobee »

Thomas, I had a chuckle when you said that parts lists and schematics were important in making a purchase. Those things went out when valve radios came to an end. They used to have a schematic stuck to the inside of the cabinet, but in would be fun doing that with any digital equipment, with all the micro components and double and triple layer circuit boards etc. Regardless, none of the companies will give out their design secrets as easy as that these days. The Chinese have reverse engineered too much stuff already. Retired radio/audio tech here, giving my age away. lol A modern day service manual for even a small device, can run into half a small tree in paperwork, so many companies only supply PDF copies, and not to the general public, and often only to their authorized service agents, which, if passed onto a third party can result in losing the authorization very quickly.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

geobee wrote:Thomas, I had a chuckle when you said that parts lists and schematics were important in making a purchase.
Hey Geobee, That could seem over the top I guess. :) In a perfect scenario this would be good, but obviously as you point out not practical in most cases. Even with the expertise, as you noted most companies are unwilling to give out "trade secrets".
-Tom
Windows 10 64-Bit
2TB SSD
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

shayneoneill wrote:the Audient stuff is getting rave reviews from everywhere. its not cheap, but its not expensive either, and from what I gather its batting in the UAD league in terms of converters and pres, but priced in the Focusrite league.
I can vouch for the id14, great unit! Pres are awesome, solidly built, great software and some really useful features. (Would love to see MC implement ability to use 'scroll control')

Did a lot of research and really happy with my decision.

M
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

I respectfully disagree. Audients may be good but are IMO severely overpriced. I've heard them next to units costing about half as much and noticed no diff. And what's their problem with MIDI? Near as I can tell NONE of their units have it. In this day and age, that's absurd.
Stubby03

Post by Stubby03 »

All your input is very helpful. I usually check forums like this, getting peoples reviews on products. I wish the Tascam people would have got back with me. I had a buddy of mine, a computer guy, check my computer. He saw that Tascam put out a release candidate for the 1800, but that's as far as it went. Never released an updated driver. They never emailed me back about my problem. I was very happy with my Tascam 1800 until this driver problem. I'm not to picky. As long as there is no noticeable latency, like my Tascam, Im happy. I honestly cant tell a difference between my Forcusrite and my 1800, besides latency. I could be stupid about interfaces, but, what differences can there be. As long as I put in good sounding guitars, bass, vocals, ect, I think that's the important thing. What else should I be looking for.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

mixyguy2 wrote:I respectfully disagree.
Disagree all you like, no sweat off my back. You're opinion is definitely in the minority, by a lot. Try a Google search for 'Audient id14 review'. Nothing but raves, especially about the price, Brown-burr DAC are world class and at the price are a steal. Don't know how much old gear you have that needs midi but usb is by far more used than midi, much more efficient.

M
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Rolling Estonian wrote:Disagree all you like, no sweat off my back. You're opinion is definitely in the minority, by a lot. Try a Google search for 'Audient id14 review'. Nothing but raves, especially about the price,
Do a search for reviews on just about any AI and you'll see similar. They mean nothing.
Brown-burr DAC are world class and at the price are a steal.
Believe that if it makes you happy; I'm not about to try and convince you otherwise. I know the Audient crowd are almost cult-ish in their blind love for an overpriced unit, imagining they're a leg up on people with so-called "lesser" units simply because theirs cost more. To each their own. I just think people not familiar with them should take those superiority claims with a huge grain of salt, at the least.
Don't know how much old gear you have that needs midi but usb is by far more used than midi, much more efficient.
? Based on that statement it would appear you don't know what "MIDI" is. If you're talking about the 5-pin MIDI connectors vs the MIDI USB, 5-pin is still very much alive. If you do a search on AI units for sale and you'll see quite a few outfitted with the 5-pin (I suspect likewise for keyboards, i.e. synths etc though I haven't shopped those in awhile).
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Uh, no need to get personal and take this too far. It's not worth it. All of these units are good. Prices and features to suit just about anyone. Don't want to judge. In the words of Rodney King... :lol:
-Tom
Windows 10 64-Bit
2TB SSD
shayneoneill

Post by shayneoneill »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

I've got a Behringer UMC204HD here in the office, and it works great.

But 2nd. gen. Focusrites seem to be solid, too.

There are a lot of interfaces I don't hear much about, which might mean that they don't have many problems, or that hardly anyone uses them.

Zoom seems to have lots of problems.

Sometimes the problematic interfaces are the old ones (like 1st. gen. Focusrite).

Greg
I used to have one of those Zoom 16 channel console usb interfaces, and honestly, it was a pretty good bit of kit, though the pres where not spectacular they where not bad either, but for its dirt cheap price it was a solid kit for me. Ended up giving it to a mate and he's still getting good mileage out of it, a decade later.

Re first gen focusrites, I think the problem was they just had lousy drivers. All in the past now, but yeah, I do remember some of those old focusrites being a bit of mess for drivers, at least on my mac.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I think that's the problem I was seeing with the Zoom interfaces: bad drivers.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
botface

Post by botface »

It's funny reading this thread. A few years ago (before Gen 2) Focusrite was being enthusiastically recommended for any enquiry about interfaces. Now they're rubbish!