Mixcraft's temporary files tip

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

daveiv

Mixcraft's temporary files tip

Post by daveiv »

I wanted to work with Moby's song Porcelain in Mixcraft.

So I found the file "Porcelain.mp3" in Windows Explorer, copied it to my workspace directory, renamed it to "moby-porcelain.mp3", then drag & dropped the file to the Mixcraft.

Only to find out it's not Moby's Porcelain. It was Red Hot Chili Pepper's song Porcelain from the album Californication.

So I deleted the file, found the correct Porcelain, renamed it to moby-porcelain.mp3 in the folder, then drag & dropped it to the Mixcraft.

But there is something wrong with the audio editor.

The waveform I'm seeing belongs to Red Hot Chili Pepper's Porcelain, and not Moby's Porcelain.

To reproduce the bug, I restarted Mixcraft, pulled Motorhead's Ace of Spades, renamed it to moby-porcelain.mp3 and threw it at Mixcraft.

It's still showing me the Red Hot Chilli Pepper's Porcelain while you could hear Lemmy's tender yet passionate voice.

Solution: I've just noticed that"Delete Temporary Files" button in the Preferences window seems to solve the issue.

I would like to quote programmer Phil Karlton at this point:

“There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation and naming things”

By the way, a real bug tracking system that we could access would be great.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Mixcraft's temporary files tip

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

When you first load an audio file into Mixcraft, Mixcraft will scan the file and create a temporary file called a "peak file." This makes it so that the project loads more quickly.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
daveiv

Post by daveiv »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

When you first load an audio file into Mixcraft, Mixcraft will scan the file and create a temporary file called a "peak file." This makes it so that the project loads more quickly.

Greg
Thank you for the answer.

BTW, I wanted to post it to Mixcraft Suggestions thread. I have no clue how did I end up starting a new thread with this title. Maybe I should take a nap.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I removed it from the Suggestions thread, because it's more of a tip than a suggestion.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
daveiv

Post by daveiv »

Ah, that explains the mystery.

I thought I was losing it. :lol: