Making samples

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ianpb

Making samples

Post by Ianpb »

I'm attempting to make some custom samples of snare drums. However, I'm finding that the .wav file I'm saving is unnecessarily long.

With Mixcraft set at 120bpm, the original edit makes the clip last for 1.25 beats, but I'm finding that after I load the mixed-down .wav file back into Mixcraft, the length has increased to jut over three times as long.

Does anyone have any ideas why this may be happening?
outteh

Re: Making samples

Post by outteh »

Probably an effects tail, such as reverb or sustain. Try highlighting only the beats you want to mix down and see if it sounds ok! :D
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

There is no tail left outstanding. I cut the clip at 1.25 beats and also fade it off at the end with the volume envelope. I'm wondering if I'm experiencing a Mixcraft minimum size of mixed-down file, because I imported a very short snare sample file (1.13 beats) and tried saving that to a .wav file, and yet again it produced a much longer one.
outteh

Post by outteh »

You do know what I mean by highlighting the clip area you want to mix down? This should only allow the highlighted area to be mixed down. PG 212 in the manual. Use the “use selection” feature. :D
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yeah, you're not running into a minimum size problem. The Use Selection option will help you out.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Okay, thanks, I've got it.

Unfortunately, the manual doesn't really explain the 'Use Selection' feature sufficiently. After absorbing the advice and cross-referencing the manual, I was completely bewildered for about five minutes before figuring it out.