Mixcraft Freezes Upon Opening Project File

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

tatanka

Re: Mixcraft Freezes Upon Opening Project File

Post by tatanka »

Hi Greg,

last email, project files and logfiles has that template that COULD be opened and the last project file that could NOT be opened, both has exactly 4 plugs (or 6 if you count the Captain plus separately):

- Kontakt 6
- Captain plugins with Captain chords, Captain Deep, Captain Melody
- Chord Potion

Chord Potion and Captain plugins are midi plugins generating midi data for a track or working as an arp/sequencer.

So the only VSTi involved is Kontakt 6.

Sorry, I really tried to explain in detail in my last mail why it could NOT have ANYTHING to do with a bad plug and I just cant understand why you wont look ANYWHERE else. All this plugs work fine in the template when I open it but not anmyore if I do anything on the project even if it is only saving it under a new name.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

alexwsievert wrote:Hi,

I am using Mixcraft 8.1 Pro Studio and have consistently been running into an issue - I'll go to open a file, it will load it and get to 100%, then return to 0% and freeze. I am unable to open the project file. I often work around this by opening a backup file, but sometimes I have to go way back to re-access my file and lose a lot of my work.

I have no idea if this is due to Mixcraft, my computer, or some issues with third-party software like VSTs. I'm just hoping to find some help here.
Hello and welcome to the Mixcraft forum.

Out of curiosity, did you summit log files to Acoustica Support?

PS: Sorry your thread got hijacked. :(
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
outteh

Post by outteh »

tatanka wrote:Hi Greg,

last email, project files and logfiles has that template that COULD be opened and the last project file that could NOT be opened, both has exactly 4 plugs (or 6 if you count the Captain plus separately):

- Kontakt 6
- Captain plugins with Captain chords, Captain Deep, Captain Melody
- Chord Potion

Chord Potion and Captain plugins are midi plugins generating midi data for a track or working as an arp/sequencer.

So the only VSTi involved is Kontakt 6.

Sorry, I really tried to explain in detail in my last mail why it could NOT have ANYTHING to do with a bad plug and I just cant understand why you wont look ANYWHERE else. All this plugs work fine in the template when I open it but not anmyore if I do anything on the project even if it is only saving it under a new name.
Don’t know if this was discussed in any of your research, but, it sounds like it could possibly be a hard drive issue or cache.
1. So you can open a project that has only midi file but no plugins?
2. On your systems, when was the last time you defragged a drive?
3. What is the drive speed of your hard drives and how full are they?
4. Have you tried changing your default project/file creation location to a different path/location?

Just some things I would play around with to see what results I get. :D
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I am not sure I see the comparison between Tatanka's issue and the OP's, but then the descriptions are lacking.....

But even if similar symptoms, the cause may be unrelated.

I also dont follow the logic that opening the template proves in any way its not the specific plug-ins..... That actually proves nothing IMO.
And its also very possible that a plug-in that works in one DAW has problems in another, still caused by buggy plug-in coding. Its not my place to point fingers and lay blame, but I'd say its simply possible.

The only thing I do see here is signs of a lack of cooperation in diagnosing the problem to be honest.

And while I have never heard of "Chord Potion" I have heard of "Captain Chords" and the feedback I have seen since its release amount to "Great concept who's time has not yet come"
I have seen repeated comments about it being highly buggy and more specifically, crashing another DAW after re-opening a project and making any changes whatsoever.

So I suspect, you may have your possible culprit right there.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
tatanka

Post by tatanka »

Seems finally there is a solution found with the help of Ralf from Jamstix.

It seems that under certain circumstance while loading projects there will be interference between Mixcraft and Jamstix even if Jamstix otherwise loads and plays without any problems in Mixcraft.

In my case this could be solved (at least on the PC, have not tried the Notebook but hope it will be the same thing there) by changing the Jamstix settings in the Jamstix manager so that Jamstix will perform completely outside of Mixcraft as a separate prozess/task.

After changing that I could load the projects that could not be loaded before.

Hope that might help alexwsievert too or maybe at least an approach for further investigating.

Mark: at least in this case Captain plugins does not seem to make any problems and for me it works so far with some little minor limitations (playback does not always works in the way it should, but thats no big thing).

Thanks for all the constructive hints and suggestions :)
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thank you for coming back to post the solution you found.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101