Newbee here with A Dj Question

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

sandman76

Newbee here with A Dj Question

Post by sandman76 »

I want to know can i hook up a DJ controller to Mixcraft? I want to be able to record my mixes with scratching without using other software. I would like to do it all through Mixcraft using USB from the controller. Any you guys got any ideas?
Mark Bliss

Re: Newbee here with A Dj Question

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hello and welcome!

How are you currently producing?
Are you wanting to record the output of your dj gear, or are you wanting to create a dj audio performance partially, or primarily using a daw?
ETC.

If you just want to record from your existing rig, the next question is about its output. If the usb output is a stereo digital audio signal, than that should be easy enough.
Set up a computer running Mixcraft, set your input device, arm and record.

Beyond that, the methods would depend a lot on your gear and workflow. A lot more info may be needed. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
sandman76

Post by sandman76 »

Thanks, Mark for the reply. I'm doing old school remixes of the 80s and 90s. I just would like to take my DJ controller and add some awesome scratching to parts of the mix just like they did in the 80s and 90s. I hook the DJ controller up to my PC with the USB all I get is MIDI signals in Mixcraft. I get no kind of audio. Something I'm doing wrong?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

sandman76 wrote:Thanks, Mark for the reply. I'm doing old school remixes of the 80s and 90s. I just would like to take my DJ controller and add some awesome scratching to parts of the mix just like they did in the 80s and 90s. I hook the DJ controller up to my PC with the USB all I get is MIDI signals in Mixcraft. I get no kind of audio. Something I'm doing wrong?
Hi,

Your DJ controller is probably only sending MIDI via USB. If you want to record audio, you'd need to make an audio connection. The best thing would be to have a USB audio interface. You'd connect the audio out from the DJ controller to the inputs on the USB audio interface.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

If the usb output of your rig is data only, you would need to record audio from an audio output.
Honestly, I know zero about modern dj gear, but I can still try to help.

How are you outputting audio currently?I

Cross post with Greg-
Yes, as he points out you may need an audio interface to do what you desire here.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
djattagirl

Post by djattagirl »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:59 am
sandman76 wrote:Thanks, Mark for the reply. I'm doing old school remixes of the 80s and 90s. I just would like to take my DJ controller and add some awesome scratching to parts of the mix just like they did in the 80s and 90s. I hook the DJ controller up to my PC with the USB all I get is MIDI signals in Mixcraft. I get no kind of audio. Something I'm doing wrong?
Hi,

Your DJ controller is probably only sending MIDI via USB. If you want to record audio, you'd need to make an audio connection. The best thing would be to have a USB audio interface. You'd connect the audio out from the DJ controller to the inputs on the USB audio interface.

Greg
Hi Greg,

I'm a noob and want a similar thing to do as OP. I've attached images of my controller (numark) and audio interface (motu microbook2), so should I just connect these and select it as an input on the channel in Mixcraft?

Thanks,
Sarah
Attachments
out.jpg
out.jpg (10.84 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
in.jpg
in.jpg (21.82 KiB) Viewed 2497 times