To Upgrade or not to upgrade

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

fulbourn

To Upgrade or not to upgrade

Post by fulbourn »

I’m using an older version of mixcraft. I am non-technical. I have created and recorded over 200 songs with Mixcraft. What main advantage would I gain by upgrading?
Mark Bliss

Re: To Upgrade or not to upgrade

Post by Mark Bliss »

Move your post to the Mixcraft forum for better results. Mixcraft users may not see this in the label maker forum.

And to give specific answers, it would be best to mention the version you are currently using, and some further details of you specific use.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

I upgraded from Mixcraft 6 to Mixcraft 8 (I skipped Mixcraft 7), and I waited until Mixcraft 8 was out for almost or about a couple of years before upgrading so it had less bugs because new releases have more bugs. I'll probably skip Mixcraft 9 because in my opinion from what I've seen so far Mixcraft 9 is mostly targeting DJ's more than musicians. With that said, Mixcraft 8 still has a few bugs, but very few now. So unless you don't mind a bunch of new bugs that will come with Mixcraft 9 or waiting a couple more years for the MX9 bugs to be fixed... I recommend upgrading to Mixcraft 8.1, build 418.

UPDATE: I changed my mind. I downloaded and installed Mixcraft 9.0 Pro, and I like it. :D
Last edited by jlouvar on Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

fulbourn wrote:I’m using an older version of mixcraft. I am non-technical. I have created and recorded over 200 songs with Mixcraft. What main advantage would I gain by upgrading?
Hi,

Yes, the answer to your question really depends upon which version of Mixcraft you're using now.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

jlouvar wrote:I'll probably skip Mixcraft 9 because in my opinion from what I've seen so far Mixcraft 9 is mostly targeting DJ's more than musicians.
I dont see anything in 9 so far that makes me feel that way at all.
But of course my beta evaluation is going to be geared toward what I am most likely to be doing. What I see so far is improvements and flexibility for workflow in both mixing and editing, producing in general.
Nothing I would describe as "huge" or "game changing" just some more incremental changes and additions. A few I have hoped for for a long time. And yeah, theres some stuff I may never use, like the performance panel in 8. Still dont have a clue what thats about. Others love it. I am sure it will be the same with some of the new features and functions.
Its Mixcraft. Evolving.

As far as remaining bugs in v8 go- if you dont describe specific things, and help with reproducing/diagnosing them, you arent helping reduce the stuff that inevitably rolls into the next version. So just repeatedly stating displeasure with them not being attended to becomes pretty much a moot point.

My initial focus in beta testing is chasing the roll-overs I am aware of. I havent even had a chance to really dig in deeply into some of the new stuff. much of that happens over the first year or so. Some, never. So far, I am very enthusiastic. Though there is also some incidences of "meh" and even a couple WTH's!

But from what I've seen already, I will be upgrading from 8 immediately upon availabilty, no question.

And um..... Looking forward to the availability of an alternate graphic scheme from whats in the beta, for sure..... Current one is mega harsh imo.
But function over form for me. I'll live with whatever happens with that.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Mark, I shared/posted my opinion... However, it’s just my opinion. With that said, over all I’m a happy Mixcraft user. :D
- Joe -

comedians

Post by comedians »

Well for my two penneth I've upgraded to every version from 4 onward & always found each time a better workflow and new features, often only found by accident, or thoroughly reading the manual. Really in the bigger scheme of things very few bugs that got in my way, or caused a problem to stop me working or found a work-about.
Coming from Reel to Reel; Mixcraft has been a dream & delight. I shall look forward to, and move to, v9 early doors.

Thank goodness Mark I'm not the only one who has never understood, or found a use for the Performance Panel!
carllackey

Post by carllackey »

by the same token, i love the performance panel! as an electronic musician, it will let me create, and edit quickly any ideas i have. then, when i'm satisfied, i can complete the song. it's just another way to organise and create music.
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Honestly the performance panel is more or less a feature request carryover from Ableton Live.

However, if your complaint that the performance panel is mostly for DJing work (which by I assume you mean spinning turntables) as opposed to musicianship, I feel that it's important to note that live performance aided by computers is a burgeoning movement in music, especially in academia.

I guess my point is, if anyone here is old enough to remember the advent of synthesizers (for what it's worth, I am definitely not), from conversations I've heard from older musicians [at the opening of the moogseum in Asheville, NC a few months ago], the advent of synthesizers was seen the same way - as "not music," but just making noise with machines. If you wanna see computer-aided performance as more just-push-play-on-a-playlist-and-walk-away then I don't have anything for you. The performance panel is meant to help turn Mixcraft into an instrument in and of itself, rather than just a vessel or carrier for instruments.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Since I was the one who brought up the performance panel..... :-)

To clarify, I wasnt knocking it or those who use it in any way! Just using it as an example that theres often different content that some find useful and some dont. And that different people use things in different ways.

Its just a set of tools, and what matters most is what you make with them.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
shorty

Post by shorty »

I think the performance panel is one of the most useful tools for live accompaniment. It should be improved even more.

Forget DJing, think about a solo jazz piano player programming various drum, bass and mallet phrases into the performance panel. He can trigger them while playing the piano, which gives many possibilities for improvising. Like a band in a box :D
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

What I meant by "Mixcraft is mostly targeting DJ's more than musicians" is: Acoustica seems to be headed in the direction of targeting people who can't or don't actually physically play real musical instruments. Not that that's a bad thing... It's just not for me.
- Joe -

jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

UPDATE: I changed my mind. I just finished downloading and installing Mixcraft 9 Pro, and it looks sweet and so far it seems to work great too. :D
- Joe -

jjpscott01

Post by jjpscott01 »

Im absolutely loving version 9 so far. I record rock and play all the instruments except the drums where I sequence everything in using Addictive Drums. So far its been rock solid and I love having the 64 bit version of Messiah included. Nice job on this one Acoustica!
Phil Shepherd

Post by Phil Shepherd »

i have been using this software for a while. I am quite in love with Mixcraft 9 Pro. I certainly feel you should upgrade, if you are taking your musical career seriously. Besides all other features, I bet you would definitely love the performance panel of the software :) .