BMI/ASCAP/SESAC practical application

Use this forum for discussing music in general, rather than specific Acoustica products.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

jwarv

BMI/ASCAP/SESAC practical application

Post by jwarv » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:57 pm

Has anyone here actually received any royalties from any of the subject PROs? And if so, how do they know it's your song?

For example, I registered my titles with them, but that's all they have. No audio files. How do they know that my "Let it Be" is not the Beatles' "Let it Be"? (I didn't actually write a song with that title, but for the purposes of this topic...)

From what I've been reading it's almost pointless to join these organizations unless your music is currently being played on a grand scale.

Just curious.

Anorax

Re: BMI/ASCAP/SESAC practical application

Post by Anorax » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:54 pm

Probably because if your music is being played, then in most cases the playing venue needs to report the song title as well as other song metadata, such as the artist. So unless you're also calling yourself "The Beatles"... ;-)

That said, two thoughts 1) SESAC is by-invite only so no need to worry about that one, and 2) BMI/ASCAP are great when you perform your own works live, because you can then report that you performed song X at Y venue on Z date. I've been paid from my own work being performed publicly that I reported myself (although, it was a film score at a public screening so not exactly a live performance), but as long as you report the live performance date and estimated audience size, then you may expect to see some sort of royalty at the end of the year.

I mean heck, BMI allows you to set up "song lists" so you can just say "I played song list X at Y on Zzz Zth, ZZZZ" rather than "I played Song X, Y, Z, A, B, and C at Venue D on Eee Eth, EEEE".

jwarv

Post by jwarv » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:37 am

Yeah I heard that about performance reporting. I forgot about the metadata though. Good point.

How do you let them know? Is there a process on their website? Like a "report performance here" link? And will that put the venue on their radar if they are not active members?

Anorax

Post by Anorax » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:54 pm

jwarv wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:37 am
Yeah I heard that about performance reporting. I forgot about the metadata though. Good point.

How do you let them know? Is there a process on their website? Like a "report performance here" link?
yes, but it's a bit more elaborate than that depending on what PRO you're a member of.
And will that put the venue on their radar if they are not active members?
I... Honestly have no idea. I'll have to get back to you on that one.

jwarv

Post by jwarv » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:33 pm

OK, I checked out BMI's page. It's called BMI live. You just click on each field and give them the particulars. Very cool.