Clarification for the "Copy project files to" option

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Greg

Re: Clarification for the "Copy project files to" option

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It kind of sounds like you're using "Save As." Are you selecting "Copy Project Files to..." from the File menu?

Mixcraft will only want to rename the project file if you're saving into a folder with an existing project. What are you trying to do, exactly?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Crimsonsunaudio

Post by Crimsonsunaudio »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:26 am What are you trying to do, exactly?

Greg
Hi Greg, Thanks for the reply. I'm just trying to save a project then copy the audio into the project folder without Mixcraft creating a new project file with "~1" appended.

I open Mixcraft and drag in an audio file. Then I hit save and give the project a name, say "New Project". I then want the audio file copied into the project folder so I go to "Copy Project Files to" then "Folder". At the "Would you like to modify the new project file to have a new project folder of:" dialog box I hit "No". What then happens is Mixcraft creates a new project file in the project folder called "New Project~1". So now I have two project files. One called "New Project" and one called "New Project~1". I like to keep things very tidy and clear so having two project files is kind of messy, plus in order to keep working I have to load the file "New Project~1". I expected the original project file to just be overwritten so as to keep the original file name - not my original file name with a "~1" appended. Does that make sense?

Whatever way Mixcraft works I'll get used to it but I just wondered if there's a way of avoiding getting that second project file.

EDIT: I decided to add another audio file to the project so I go to "Copy Project Files to" then "Folder" again and what I end up with is yet another project file called "New Project~1~1" :? It just seems messy to have to create a new project file every time one wants to copy the audio in the project to the project folder. I guess a workaround would be to manually copy any audio into the project folder rather than use the "Copy Project Files to" option?
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Crimsonsunaudio wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:17 pm

Hi Greg, Thanks for the reply. I'm just trying to save a project then copy the audio into the project folder without Mixcraft creating a new project file with "~1" appended.
Crimsonsunaudio, It seems you are making it more complicated if you are just trying to add an audio file to the project.

Add the audio file to a new track and save the project as is. Your new audio file will be added to the project. If you want different versions of the same project, then save as... and give it a new name.

The point of the Copy Project... is to create a copy of the entire existing project to a new location. This isn't for adding elements to an existing project.
Crimsonsunaudio

cactus-head wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:58 am
Crimsonsunaudio wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:17 pm

Crimsonsunaudio, It seems you are making it more complicated if you are just trying to add an audio file to the project.

Add the audio file to a new track and save the project as is. Your new audio file will be added to the project. If you want different versions of the same project, then save as... and give it a new name.

The point of the Copy Project... is to create a copy of the entire existing project to a new location. This isn't for adding elements to an existing project.
All I'm trying to do is make sure the audio in my project is copied to the project folder rather than being referenced from its original location. I just wanted it to perform this action without Mixcraft creating a new project file but it seems there's no way around this (which ultimately is fine - just wanted to know if it could simply add the audio to the project folder without going through a non-optional process to make a new project file).

It also seems that Mixcraft doesn't like overwriting files ie. it doesn't give any option to overwrite a file with the same name. Instead it automatically makes a new file with ~1 appended. I rendered out some masters today - then re-rendered (because of plugins causing a few pops and clicks at the start of the render) and whereas in other DAWs I'll get a dialog to ask if I want to overwrite the original files, in Mixcraft it went right ahead with the render without any dialog - resulting in new files rather than overwritten files. This is all fine.. just have to get used to the way Mixcraft does things.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If the file is in use, it's write-protected.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Crimsonsunaudio

Acoustica Greg wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:02 pm Hi,

If the file is in use, it's write-protected.

Greg
Ah okay thanks, yep that makes sense.