Mercy

Use this forum for discussing music in general, rather than specific Acoustica products.

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg

bigaquarium

Mercy

Post by bigaquarium » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:20 pm

Wow, so now Behringer is going to come up with a ‘free’ DAW. Music Tribe or some such thing. Mixcraft is already better. ;)

-Nathan
youtube.com/c/fansofmixcraft
facebook.com/fansofmixcraft
twitter.com/fansofmixcraft
soundcloud.com/fansofmixcraft

jlouvar

Re: Mercy

Post by jlouvar » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:11 pm

Hello Nathan,

Interesting, but I’m not surprised. Correct me if I’m wrong, but as I understand it, originally Behringer was a German founded company that started out by reverse engineering and copying popular stuff, then having China factories build the stuff for them so they could undercut main manufacturers. In the early years (before Music Tribe owned Behringer?), Behringer had a repartition for selling cheap junk, and many professionals today still consider Behringer as cheap junk. However, consumers on tight budgets today are saying Behringer stuff is built better now. Other than an old cable tester (which works good) I don’t own anything from Behringer so I really can’t personally comment on the quality or customer service of Behringer (but I’ve heard stories), so it will be interesting to see the Behringer DAW and which DAW designs they copy.

PS: I don’t have Facebook but I found this on the subject: https://www.musictech.net/news/behringe ... a-new-daw/

Joe
- Joe -
MX 9.0 Pro, Build 458, 64-bit. i5, 1.80GHz, 8GB, Windows 10. 2nd Gen Scarlett 2i4, Event and PreSonus monitors, Sony MDR-7506, Korg TR61, Akai MPK249, Fender P & J basses, Ric, Strat, Amps, Stomp boxes and a lot of Microphones, etc.

kentb3050@gmail.com

Post by kentb3050@gmail.com » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:15 pm

I have a couple pieces so far so good

bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:07 am

Hi Joe,

Yes, that is a very concise explanation of the situation. Of course they would strongly disagree, but fact is they were sued by Mackie and Roland/Boss for doing exactly that. Here's a quote directly attributed to Uli Behringer:

“One needs to be clear about the distinction between blatantly copying someone else’s product and the principle of reverse engineering. Copying a product 1:1 is clearly illegal, however reverse engineering is something that takes place every day and is accepted as part of a product development process known as benchmarking... Think iPhone followed by Samsung Galaxy. This is the principle of competition.”

To be honest, I never really thought about the issue much until now, and I don't own anything by Behringer either. On the one hand is say, a 1952 Les Paul a copy of a 1950 telecaster? Or is a Honda a copy of a Toyota? You can definitely see companies from all kinds of industries come out with their own take on something else that became popular. On the other hand, there's just something about Behringer that has a trolling aspect to it that I can't quite put my finger on. There is often a deliberate attempt to replicate the entire experience of the original product, from the form factor and control layout to the trade dress. I don't know which came first, but a Korg Kronos does not look or act or sound like a Yamaha Montage in almost any way at all except they both have piano keyboards, power chords, MIDI, USB, and audio jacks.

I think they'll find reverse-engineering software is a more dangerous game. Plus so much of what we do is kind of standardized anyway whether its MIDI or VST plugins, it's all about look and feel and workflow. However, it wouldn't be shocking if they made a blatant copy of say Logic Pro for Windows. (Or a blatant copy of Mixcraft for Mac! :? ) What's Apple going to do? It's not like they are competing for Windows market share! :lol:

As far as I'm concerned, once you're invested in and accustomed to a DAW it's a difficult process to switch to something else, and that's something I'm disinclined to ever do even if the new alternative is free. As it is I own 3 other DAWS and they pretty much collect dust 95% of the time. Besides, Microsoft used to give out their software to get market share and now we're kind of enslaved to their quirks and hideous support/customer service, and it would really suck if we did the same with Behringer.

- Nathan
youtube.com/c/fansofmixcraft
facebook.com/fansofmixcraft
twitter.com/fansofmixcraft
soundcloud.com/fansofmixcraft

jlouvar

Post by jlouvar » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:50 am

Nathan,

Brother... You hit the nail right on the head, and Behringer reverse engineered because it was cheaper than R&D cost, then they just flat out cloned/copied the stuff with cheaper labor, components, etc, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the Behringer DAW is also just a collaboration of stolen software design’s.

Joe
- Joe -
MX 9.0 Pro, Build 458, 64-bit. i5, 1.80GHz, 8GB, Windows 10. 2nd Gen Scarlett 2i4, Event and PreSonus monitors, Sony MDR-7506, Korg TR61, Akai MPK249, Fender P & J basses, Ric, Strat, Amps, Stomp boxes and a lot of Microphones, etc.