USing Korg M1 Legacy as VSTi

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Freerskier

USing Korg M1 Legacy as VSTi

Post by Freerskier »

Hi - Hope everyone is safe and good in these difficult times.

I've had the Korg Legacy synths for a while but now just started really getting into them - back in the day I played the MS20 and M1... fun times.

Using the M1 I've come up with an issue that maybe others have already overcome - could be (as is typical) my approach - i.e. the problem lies between the keyboard and the chair! :(

Short summary is - Has anyone found a way to select and make the selection "stick" selecting PROGRAMs within the M1 VSTi within track. NB - Standalone, just on the desktop out of Mixcraft there's no problems switching from COMBIs to PROGRAMs.

When selecting the M1as an instrument on a virtual track it default opens in COMBI mode. However, I want to just use a PROGRAM, say the legendary house piano " Piano 16' ". So, navigating through the drop downs to PROGRAM and select Piano 16' is fine before returning to the track. However, when exiting to go back to the track the VSTi reverts to COMBI mode self-selecting the COMBI PANKALA that is (I would guess) in a corresponding memory location within the "synth" to Piano 16'. Its like Mixrcraft cant differentiate between COMBIs and PROGRAMs within the VSTi. Would I need to somehow insert a Bank Select command somewhere?
Acoustica Greg

Re: USing Korg M1 Legacy as VSTi

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Or maybe your MIDI data already has program change or bank select commands in it?

You can add (or remove) CC messages on the piano roll:

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Freerskier

Post by Freerskier »

HI Greg.

Its a brand new track - no MIDI data recorded.

The M1 has COMBIs and PROGRAMS. You can preview the PROGRAMS when you open the VSTi but when you exit to go to record Mixcraft doesn't retain your selection. Instead it a COMBI from a similar location within the VSTI gets selected.

COMBI 00 = Filmscore. When you open the VSTi it defaults to this as the loaded "Preset" as its the first in the VSTi's internal list. If you click Edit the main panel for the M1 VSTi is displayed. I then click the PROG button to try to select the PROGRAM I want. It goes to "Universe", PROGRAM 00, the first is its list of PROGRAMs. I then select the 2nd program "Piano 16" from the Preset drop down at the top of the window. This is the 2nd preset down underneath "Universe" in the list. However, when the screen returns the the main control panel "Pankala" the 2nd COMBI has been selected.

Are you saying I'd need to know the Bank and Program number of a VSTi program BEFORE selecting it in the VSTi?
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

I don't have the Korg Legacy plugins, so this is just a wild guess/suggestion....

If it installs both the VST2 and VST3 versions, try both and see if they behave in the same way. Sometimes one is problematic (Either due to design or just a bug) but often the other version works as expected.