Mixcraft 9 Pro constantly crashing

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

petewesty

Mixcraft 9 Pro constantly crashing

Post by petewesty »

Please help... 5 days waiting working with support.

Issue:
- I have a project that crashes when I play it or try to export it or randomly when trying to record something in it.
- When it crashes and I re-open it, I usually get the Audio preferences error and choosing an alternate option (asio/core) still results in a crash.
- Tried changing between ASIO and CoreAudio drivers (crashes no matter which I choose)
- It crashes without error message.
Windows Event Log = Faulting application name: mixcraft9.exe, version: 9.0.0.460, time stamp: 0x5e95185f - Faulting module name: acufutls.dll

What I've tried:
- Opened a couple of mixcraft support tickets
- Un-installed and Re-installed mixcraft 9 pro.
- Updated ASIO drivers, windows drivers/updates, hardware drivers, BIOS, video, realtek drivers.
- Disk checks, memory checks
- Tried saving the project in another drive SSD, new disk, same issue
- Tried downloading and using the 32-bit version of Mixcraft Pro 9 and relevant 32-bit plug-ins - still crashes
- Tried unticking the 'Use high priority threads for Audio engine' preferences option - still crashes

Relevant:
- As far as I can tell, the issue may be only with this project, as I haven't had a crash when trying to export or using another project.
- I believe crashing started after upgrading to Mixcraft 9 Pro.
- Is there a way to repair or diagnose a corrupt project?
- Some of the audio .wavs in the project are recorded using different audio drivers/bit rate/32 bit and 16bit, could this cause the crashing? Is there a way to move or update all wav's into the same rate or locked due to thats how it was recorded?
- Is there a way to identify a faulting plug-in? even though the plugins are working in OTHER PROJECTS!
Last edited by petewesty on Sun May 24, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rolling Estonian

Re: Mixcraft 9 Pro constantly crashing

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Hey there, welcome to the forum.

It really does sound like a wonky plugin and/or combination of plugins. The best way, and it can be a pain if you have a lot of plugs on the project, is to go through and eliminate the 3rd party vst to find the problematic one/s.

If you've sent your logfile in they should be getting back to you, they're really good about tech support. In the mean time someone will probably chime in if they've experienced something similar.

In my experience, something like this is usually a simple fix. You may be on to something about the wav files and different bit and sample rates and such, could be a bum sample too. Hang tight, it'll get solved.

M
petewesty

Post by petewesty »

Hi mate, appreciate the reply,
Unfortunately support have offered 2 replies over 5 days with 'try asio drivers', sent multiple fixes to them.

The plug-ins work with other projects, I don't have the crashing on other projects.
I was hoping it was simple fix but doesn't look like it.
The on;y difference I can see is, some audio tracks in this project were recorded in the different sample rate and its crashing trying export and play them.

I managed to find the 'backups' folder which saves previous versions of the project, I went back a week or so and that project plays, exports fine without crashing, using the same plugins.
Disappointing no one can identify the crashing and I need to do a week's work again.. going to bed, too angry.
Any other solutions out there please let me know!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You could send in a log file from the version of the project that doesn't crash, and I'll try to compare and contrast.

ASIO generally provides better audio performance, (and sometimes fewer problems in general, when it is a driver that was designed for your particular interface), hence the recommendation.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Coolman7

Post by Coolman7 »

Hello, I had the same problem, my bass was doubled and split, I resolved by deleting one of the two tracks and merging the first, sorry my English is bad.
petewesty

Post by petewesty »

The old project is now crashing also.

Thanks for the suggestion Coolman but I don't have 1 bass track and even when I mute it and play the timeline it still freezes and crashes.
It even crashes when I try and export to wav or mp3.

Can I get a copy of Mixcraft 8 to see if the same issue occurs? I've only had major issues since using Mixcraft studio pro 9
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

petewesty wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:46 am Can I get a copy of Mixcraft 8 to see if the same issue occurs? I've only had major issues since using Mixcraft studio pro 9
Hi Pete

If you purchased MIxcraft 8 you can download it from your Acoustica.com account.
I believe crashing started after upgrading to Mixcraft 9 Pro.
Was the project that crashes originally started with MIxcraft 8? Also when you upgraded from MX8 to MX9 did put a check in the box to add the vintage MX8 stuff?

Joe
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
petewesty

Post by petewesty »

jlouvar wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:16 am
petewesty wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:46 am Can I get a copy of Mixcraft 8 to see if the same issue occurs? I've only had major issues since using Mixcraft studio pro 9
Hi Pete

If you purchased MIxcraft 8 you can download it from your Acoustica.com account.
I believe crashing started after upgrading to Mixcraft 9 Pro.
Was the project that crashes originally started with MIxcraft 8? Also when you upgraded from MX8 to MX9 did put a check in the box to add the vintage MX8 stuff?

Joe
I never had MX8 - so no I can't download it.
If you purchase mixcraft 9 they should allow you access to download previous versions, but can't see them anywhere to be downloaded.
The project began in mx7, opened in 9 and saved as an mx9 project.
I've tried every audio preference combination of asio, sample rate waveRT, external speakers, internal speakers, m-track asio monitors, all MB/BIOS/realtek pc driversl updated - mx9 still crashes.

This situation is actually very rough and deflating on a hobby musician during isolation, this is my outlet and I haven't been able to use the software for over a week.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

petewesty wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:23 pmI never had MX8 - so no I can't download it. If you purchase mixcraft 9 they should allow you access to download previous versions, but can't see them anywhere to be downloaded.
The project began in mx7, opened in 9 and saved as an mx9 project.
I've tried every audio preference combination of asio, sample rate waveRT, external speakers, internal speakers, m-track asio monitors, all MB/BIOS/realtek pc driversl updated - mx9 still crashes.

This situation is actually very rough and deflating on a hobby musician during isolation, this is my outlet and I haven't been able to use the software for over a week.
Does the original project open and work in MX7? Any third party Plug-ins, etc in the project?
- Joe -

petewesty

Post by petewesty »

Hi Joe,

- The project still crashes with EVERY SINGLE PLUGIN DISABLED.
- The 'older version' of the project still works in 7. But I don't have melodyne and the newer recordings in the old mx7.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

petewesty wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:06 pm Hi Joe,

- The project still crashes with EVERY SINGLE PLUGIN DISABLED.
- The 'older version' of the project still works in 7. But I don't have melodyne and the newer recordings in the old mx7.
Are any of the disabled plug-ins third party plugs?
I highly recommend sending the original MX7 version of the project log files along with the crashed MX9 version log files to Acoustica Greg at: https://acoustica.kayako.com/conversation/new Maybe he can Compare the two to find the problem.
- Joe -

Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Disabling the plug-ins may not be enough, try taking them out of the project

M
petewesty

Post by petewesty »

This issue Has NOTHING to do with plugins guys.
Its the application crashing trying to process audio samples during playback and/or mixdown.
I can reproduce the crash every time.
If I MUTE a particular vocal track, the whole song plays fine no issue. If I unmute this particular vocal Track, it crashes at the same point 95% of the time. This leads everyone to the Audio ASIO drivers conversation.. Please scroll up, I have updated and tried every possible combination of audio preference drivers, wavrt, samples rates possible, and no matter what I choose it still crashes.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

petewesty wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:43 pmIf I MUTE a particular vocal track, the whole song plays fine no issue. If I unmute this particular vocal Track, it crashes at the same point 95% of the time.
Hmm, well there’s the solution Pete... You need to redo/replace that particular faulty vocal track.

Joe
- Joe -

petewesty

Post by petewesty »

jlouvar wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:22 am
petewesty wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:43 pmIf I MUTE a particular vocal track, the whole song plays fine no issue. If I unmute this particular vocal Track, it crashes at the same point 95% of the time.
Hmm, well there’s the solution Pete... You need to redo/replace that particular faulty vocal track.

Joe
Seem to be going round in circles.
I HAVE re-recorded the vocal track using ALL different audio preferences and it still crashes on me.
I can't complete or use the project because it cannot process/play some audio samples.
I shouldn't have to 'redo' vocal tracks because the application crashes when trying to process/play them?
The underlying root cause needs to be fixed.
Also, if I play the actual audio clip just by itself, it plays fine, if I play it with the ALL tracks open it crashes.

Cheers