MIDI step input

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

tehdai

MIDI step input

Post by tehdai »

Hi - is there a way to capture the actual velocity I use on a midi controller when step recording midi? This is really handy for string ostinatos - I've done it on other DAWs but can't see how to do it on mixcraft.
tehdai

Re: MIDI step input

Post by tehdai »

Bumping this, just because there must be a workaround somewhere, surely?
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

I don't think so. i tried the step recorder in both the step mode, piano roll and the score and it only used the velocity that was set with Vel: nnn
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It should just record whatever velocity your MIDI controller is sending. What is your MIDI controller? Are you seeing varying velocities if you don't use the step recorder?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi Greg,

Speaking for myself as this is an interesting issue, I can play live in the piano roll in standard recording mode and it records velocities. But if I use the step recorder it only records the velocities at the velocity that is set at Vel: nnn

I use a casio px-5s to record midi. Mixcraft 9.0 64-bit Build 469
tehdai

Post by tehdai »

Hi @greg - to be clear, there's no problem at all capturing velocity during regular recording, my question concerns step time recording. As @cactus-head reports, there is an option to the left of the piano roll window that lets me set a velocity between 0 and 127 but no option to capture the actual velocity I'm using on my controller.

The behavior I'd like is for step time record to capture velocity based on entry rather than on a setting. This is super useful when entering something like an 8th note string ostinato with a rhythmic pattern of emphasis that moves through various chords/keys .

I downloaded mixcraft this month, so am on the latest version of mixcraft pro. I'm using a Kawai VPC1.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll pass it along.

Greg
Stabort

Post by Stabort »

Any updates on this? I think it's one the most important features that's available to reduce velocity editing time for MIDI notes.

Or any suggestions where I could find the file of concern and maybe edit the code myself so that it records velocities as well?

thanks,
pat
I can't think of a good one.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

No updates. If you have Mixcraft 9.0 build 470, you have the latest update for Mixcraft, and we're not planning on updating it (since we're working hard on Mixcraft 10).

Greg
Stabort

Post by Stabort »

Thank you,

I appreciate the work. Mixcraft overall is one of the best DAW's created so far. The features are fantastic, it's just that I get impatient sometimes because I primarily create music with MIDI notes so for me, it is important to have a feature like this.

Also, it because I'm lazy(as you can tell) and music creation is my hobby and not my full time job/activity, so I want to spend as little time on the technical aspects of digital music creation and spend most time on the creativity of generating interesting notes and patterns for a project.

From,
Pat
I can't think of a good one.