Fat acoutic guitar sound?

Post any tips and tricks you've discovered for using Acoustica software here.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

gregs71

Fat acoutic guitar sound?

Post by gregs71 »

Hi.Looking for a tip if anyone can help please?Want to get a nice ,close sound from my acoustic guitar in Mixcraft.Because of bugdets,etc im running my acoustic through Line 6 kb37 direct into the pc.Currently what i do is record one track,duplicate it with the option in Mixcraft 4,then pan each track one left and one right.This does make it sound fuller but does anyone know what effects within Mixcraft i can use and what levels to enhance the sound/effects to/with i could try?EQ...etc.Thanks for any advice.Cheers.Greg.
PDS

Re: Fat acoutic guitar sound?

Post by PDS »

gregs71 wrote:Hi.Looking for a tip if anyone can help please?Want to get a nice ,close sound from my acoustic guitar in Mixcraft.Because of bugdets,etc im running my acoustic through Line 6 kb37 direct into the pc.Currently what i do is record one track,duplicate it with the option in Mixcraft 4,then pan each track one left and one right.This does make it sound fuller but does anyone know what effects within Mixcraft i can use and what levels to enhance the sound/effects to/with i could try?EQ...etc.Thanks for any advice.Cheers.Greg.
Do you have a microphone available?

Some great articles here,

http://www.tweakheadz.com/getting_a_gre ... r_tone.htm
gregs71

Post by gregs71 »

Hi.Thx.No im not using a microphone...yet!Using the acoustic guitar effect in the line 6 toneport thing,it just sounds too muffled is the best way i can describe it.I guess using a couple of half decent mikes eventually will be much better but any tips in the mean time?Thx again.G.
PDS

Post by PDS »

gregs71 wrote:Hi.Thx.No im not using a microphone...yet!Using the acoustic guitar effect in the line 6 toneport thing,it just sounds too muffled is the best way i can describe it.I guess using a couple of half decent mikes eventually will be much better but any tips in the mean time?Thx again.G.

Is this an Electroc acoustic or does it have a pickup on it?

If it's a line6 product you should be running through,"Gearbox" sound modelling software yes?
gregs71

Post by gregs71 »

Thats right.Im using an Electro acoustic(no pick up).Pretty cheap guitar and that could be the reason i guess for the sound quality?
PDS

Post by PDS »

gregs71 wrote:Thats right.Im using an Electro acoustic(no pick up).Pretty cheap guitar and that could be the reason i guess for the sound quality?
Obviously the quality of the guitar is an issue but try adding some Tube boost to it and also X-cita,both free VSTs

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1533.html

http://www.uv.es/ruizcan/p_vst.htm

Both free VSTs and of course new strings always give a better sound.I use
D'addario on my Electro Acoustic.

However you have Gearbox software so why not use a Valve pre-amp to go through before you record to add warmth and width?

I have a couple of clean presets that should work nice with an acoustic.PM me if you want them as they are only a couple of Kbs in size.
MikkoSaarinen

Post by MikkoSaarinen »

I would say you need just a proper mic. No way around :p
- Man in the Mirror -
dhiser21

Post by dhiser21 »

You could try a Studio Projects B1 condenser mic to record the guitar. Need 48v power but a decent sounding inexpensive mic (for under $100 on E-bay at an auction...about $120 with buy it now)

For a general purpose mic go with the Shure SM57 (or 58) for around the same price.

Move them around to various positions until you find a sound you like.

I have also found the Pultronic Tube EQ (included in MC 5) and the G-Sonique FSQ1964 Transient Vitaliser (included in MC 5 Pro) useful on acoustic guitars
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Couple of things:
- Without hearing some samples, nobody can really tell if you need a new microphone or not. I would always suggest learning how to maximize your ability with your current gear before dropping more cash into stuff you won't know how to use when you get it.
- You really shouldn't be duplicating tracks to double track audio, which is essentially the same thing as raising the volume on your original track. Sure you can toss a slight delay on one of them to hide this, but your best bet by far is to actually lay down two tracks.
- EQ is your best bet. I suggest checking out the following video for some beginning ideas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC1x8yqIOMc

Keep in mind that mixing music requires some problem solving skills: no two recordings will ever need the same things done to make them sound great.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

This may help you to record acoustic guitar http://youtu.be/rs2l1iu_Azw