Will Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 work with MC 9?

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

lpburke

Will Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 work with MC 9?

Post by lpburke »

I see that Launchkey MK2 is listed under control surfaces, but am wondering about the MK3 versions.

I currently have MC 8 Recording Studio. I am going to upgrade and am trying to decide between Pro and Recording Studio options.

I am about to purchase my first midi controller and since I also play piano, I've decided to go with 61 keys as opposed to something smaller. Hence, my question about Launchkey 61. I have a small studio (I converted a walk-in closet) and a tight budget, so I am trying to work within those parameters. I already have an old Yamaha digital piano, but it is in another room and I am tired of having to move my studio equipment around every time I want to record using my piano.

Between an upgrade to Pro and the purchase of Novation Launchkey 61, I'll be spending $350-$400, so I'd like to be sure that it is going to be compatible. I know there will be a big learning curve, so I'd like to rule out technical difficulties due to incompatibility from the getgo. lol

Thanks in advance for any and all answers and advice.
Linda
ferez21

Re: Will Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 work with MC 9?

Post by ferez21 »

lpburke wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:04 pm I see that Launchkey MK2 is listed under control surfaces, but am wondering about the MK3 versions.

I currently have MC 8 Recording Studio. I am going to upgrade and am trying to decide between Pro and Recording Studio options.

I am about to purchase my first midi controller and since I also play piano, I've decided to go with 61 keys as opposed to something smaller. Hence, my question about Launchkey 61. I have a small studio (I converted a walk-in closet) and a tight budget, so I am trying to work within those parameters. I already have an old Yamaha digital piano, but it is in another room and I am tired of having to move my studio equipment around every time I want to record using my piano.

Between an upgrade to Pro and the purchase of Novation Launchkey 61, I'll be spending $350-$400, so I'd like to be sure that it is going to be compatible. I know there will be a big learning curve, so I'd like to rule out technical difficulties due to incompatibility from the getgo. lol

Thanks in advance for any and all answers and advice.
Linda
Hi Linda,
Im 99.999% sure the Novation will work with Mixcraft 9, there is no reason it won't, MIDI protocol is universal, i have 2 MIDI controllers from different brands and both work great.

Regarding Pro vs. Recording Studio, if you're not sure, go for Recording Studio - if you ever want to upgrade later, the upgrade price is practically just the price difference between the two versions (plus 5$ i think), so you won't actually lose much money if you decide to go the upgrade path later on.

Maybe this will help you decide:
https://acoustica.com/mixcraft/compare-chart