Master Mix - what do you use for quick sharing?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Sturdy

Master Mix - what do you use for quick sharing?

Post by Sturdy »

Hi, I'm wondering what fx folks use on the master mix in Mixcraft to generate a quick mix for sharing? For my first mix I used the Izotope essentials, although I don't know what alot of it is doing, but it could do some nice things to the sound - especially the bass compressor part. I also messed with the TB Ferox tape emulator and it seems able to add some "thickness" in an interesting way. There's a Zener Limiter plugin, but I don't think I was using it right, or at least didn't have right settings.

Basically, wondering what do you find useful for the master mix?

Are there other plugs I should checkout for master mix?
Do you normally stack things on the master, or is more minimal the way to go?

My main use now is just to generate a better mix for sharing, but I'll gradually learn to do better with it if I know right plugs to check. Thanks in advance?
ferez21

Re: Master Mix - what do you use for quick sharing?

Post by ferez21 »

For quick sharing i use T-Racks One, it is an easy to use plugin that has controls that improve things like "Clarity", "Focus" and Maximizing, it's like a quick and easy mixing-mastering tool. At some point last year it was given for free with some music magazines.
However, Its still advisable to at least group your instruments in a few busses, and cut the peaks on these busses and do some basic compression to even out the sound, prior to using any master fx.
rev.f

Post by rev.f »

Sturdy wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:32 pm Hi, I'm wondering what fx folks use on the master mix in Mixcraft to generate a quick mix for sharing? For my first mix I used the Izotope essentials, although I don't know what alot of it is doing, but it could do some nice things to the sound -
I also use izotope essentials when I'm in a hurry and doing a quick mix. It's sometimes fine.

Sometimes I just stick with the izotope for my final master, or I use the advice in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flupinyx0gY
I created an effects chain preset, with all the fx in that video, and in my preset I put all the settings on the fx at the start points recommended in the video. So I can just choose the effects chain preset on my master track and fiddle with those elements for a few minutes to get my master mix.
Sturdy

Post by Sturdy »

Thanks for the suggestions. Appreciated
rev.f wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:30 am or I use the advice in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flupinyx0gY
Thanks for the video link. That is excellent. On my next mix I'll work with those tools and that approach. For other present or future readers - in video he takes a stereo wav mix and pulls that file into a new project and uses (in order):
- TB Ferox Tape emulator
- TB Parametric EQ
- TB Bus compression
- TB Barricade (a limiter)

Video is great, as it shows and explains what certain parameters do and why they are being used (or not).
vizionheiry

Post by vizionheiry »

Sturdy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:55 pm Thanks for the suggestions. Appreciated
rev.f wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:30 am or I use the advice in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flupinyx0gY
Thanks for the video link. That is excellent. On my next mix I'll work with those tools and that approach. For other present or future readers - in video he takes a stereo wav mix and pulls that file into a new project and uses (in order):
- TB Ferox Tape emulator
- TB Parametric EQ
- TB Bus compression
- TB Barricade (a limiter)

Video is great, as it shows and explains what certain parameters do and why they are being used (or not).
My Mastering signal chain is Ozone 9 Elements -> TB Barricade -> ThrillSeekerLA Wider. This is used in a separate project after it's mixed into a flac file. Using your list of TB plugins you may want to go Parametric EQ -> Bus Compression -> Barricade -> Ferox Tape Emulator. Start with presets. Then dial it back and make your own. Make sure to save a signal chain. Make sure to bypass and make sure you need each one.