A must have gadget for less than $5(couple of quid UK)

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

PDS

A must have gadget for less than $5(couple of quid UK)

Post by PDS »

If you are a guitar player or Bass player you must get one of these,

http://tinyurl.com/6pj3dz

I've had one for years and if I lost it would have to go and get one again straight away!!
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

A string winder? Yes, they are extremely useful but i have had one since i was a teenager, had you just recently discovered these?
PDS

Re: re

Post by PDS »

Acoustica Eric wrote:A string winder? Yes, they are extremely useful but i have had one since i was a teenager, had you just recently discovered these?
Re-read my post Eric.I said I'd had one for years.Just thought some younger players may not have heard of them :shock:
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Ahh yes, I skim a little too quickly sometimes. I saw your post and thought "cool, this must be a cool new toy i have to go buy", and then saw the string winder, lol.
Sorry, yes it is a great tool and I would hate to lose it too.
PDS

Post by PDS »

Acoustica Eric wrote:Ahh yes, I skim a little too quickly sometimes. I saw your post and thought "cool, this must be a cool new toy i have to go buy", and then saw the string winder, lol.
Sorry, yes it is a great tool and I would hate to lose it too.
Did you know that the Inner rubber seal from a,"Grolsch" bottle of beer cap makes a great guitar strap lock :twisted:
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Ha! No i did not know that. And all these years I have been putting a washer on mine.

Since we are on cool home remedies for musicians; When i break a string on my bass and do not happen to have another set, I tie the bridge end in a knot and put it back on :-)
Whenever I put on a new set, i always wind as much as possible so it is long enough to tie if it breaks.
PDS

Post by PDS »

Acoustica Eric wrote:Ha! No i did not know that. And all these years I have been putting a washer on mine.

Since we are on cool home remedies for musicians; When i break a string on my bass and do not happen to have another set, I tie the bridge end in a knot and put it back on :-)
Whenever I put on a new set, i always wind as much as possible so it is long enough to tie if it breaks.
Heh.Heh.Cheapskate.Ok.OK.So I boil my old bass strings in a pan with some washing soda/detergent to get a bit more life out them :lol:
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

How funny, I used to do that with water and piroxide. (spelling?)
But with reason, bass strings are expensive compared to guitar strings.

Ok how about the old "tape a 50 cent piece to your kick drum to give it that "snap" sound"?
PDS

Post by PDS »

Acoustica Eric wrote:How funny, I used to do that with water and piroxide. (spelling?)
But with reason, bass strings are expensive compared to guitar strings.

Ok how about the old "tape a 50 cent piece to your kick drum to give it that "snap" sound"?
One of my old drummers used to do that with a 50p coin but then went,"Posh" and bought a thing called a,"Kick Plate" which is an adhesive plastic covered disc with a thin metal disc inside it.

Mind you I used to play some Jazz/rock fusion gigs with him and he had one of those,"Staccato" drum kits.What a B**tard to pack up!!!
One of the best drummers I ever worked with tho'.